Quarantine: Cruise Ship vs. Air Force Base?

DirtyDawg

I saw on the news last night that there are two cruise ships quarantined due to the coronavirus. Both Canada and the U.S. have flown citizens back to their countries from China and will quarantine then for 14 days at air force bases on home soil. Other countries have probably done the same. Where would you want to be quarantined, on a cruise ship in a harbour halfway around the world or an air force base at home? Obviously asking this question on a cruise ship forum might not result is a valid statistical result regarding the entire travelling population, but what the heck.

For me it would be a cruise ship 1000% of the time…. but ….

…. I’d have to be quarantined in a balcony or above cabin. I like cruising, but being stuck in an inside or OV for two or three days let alone 14 days would drive me nuts. I’d rather be housed in a barracks at a frozen air force base in the middle of February in Eastern Ontario than be stuck in one of those. 

I'd take the airforce base.  After the quarantine was lifted I'd rather be closer to home than have to face lengthy flights.   Also, I suspect it would be easier to acquire adult beverages on an air force base and you could go outside more often. 

• Like 4

I would much rather be on an Air Force base.  Free mobile service means I could actually get some work done.  Availability of network news and television programming.  Being able to stream Netflix and Amazon Prime on my phone--and quite possibly have packages delivered to me containing toiletries, books, bottles of wine,  whatever.   And once I was cleared it would be an easy flight back home.

Also it seems on the ships many are being quarantined to cabins while on the base they have access to fresh air and can walk around outside, side at a picnic table and play cards, etc. 

• Like 1

‘while on the base they have access to fresh air and can walk around outside, side at a picnic table and play cards, etc. ‘

Maybe where you live but more likely an opportunity to build snow forts and play hockey in Trenton.....

• Haha 1

Unquestionably 10000% NOT a cruise ship !!

You can't turn the air con unit off on a ship so the air (and virus) will just circulate and more and more people will get sick.

Diamond Princess case in point.  Started with 3 confirmed Coronavirus passengers.  Now 61 and I expect that will keep growing.

Anywhere with proper quarantine isolation will do and which is well away from confirmed infected people.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, d9704011 said:

‘while on the base they have access to fresh air and can walk around outside, side at a picnic table and play cards, etc. ‘

Maybe where you live but more likely an opportunity to build snow forts and play hockey in Trenton.....

Several of the bases they've taken people to were in warm weather locals.  Even if I was going to Minnesota, I'd rather be on land.

In Australia you are sent to a remote island that is closer to Indonesia than home so I'm not sure it would be much different to being in a cruise ship in Yokohama bay. They do seem to get more outside time and apparently you can pay to have fresh food flown into the center which is something I have noticed the people stuck on Princess have complained about lack of fresh food so maybe those slight advantages would make it nicer. On the other hand some evacuees have said people are getting on each other nerves so maybe being isolated in your cabin away from other people isn't such a bad thing😂.

1 hour ago, d9704011 said:

Maybe I lean more towards the cruise ship, despite the Yukon Lodge looking quite nice, is Trenton in February is no place to sit outside at a picnic table and play cards unless, of course, you set the neighbouring picnic table or three on fire to keep warm.  🥶 

At least it's not CFB Cold Lake!  🥶🥶

(That's north of Edmonton and waay waay north of Minnesota.)

Edited by DirtyDawg

1 hour ago, ducklite said:

I would much rather be on an Air Force base.  Free mobile service means I could actually get some work done.  Availability of network news and television programming.  Being able to stream Netflix and Amazon Prime on my phone--and quite possibly have packages delivered to me containing toiletries, books, bottles of wine,  whatever.   And once I was cleared it would be an easy flight back home.

Now that might bring my 1000% cruise ship down choice down a bit. 😀

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, KnowTheScore said:

Diamond Princess case in point.  Started with 3 confirmed Coronavirus passengers.  Now 61 and I expect that will keep growing.

Please don't spread incorrect information.  All 61 cases where in the original group tested days ago.  Results were released over a number of days.  I have seen nothing saying that new cases outside of the original passengers tested have been identified.  About 10 hours ago Princess posted this on their Facebook page:

Diamond Princess Update: The Japanese Ministry of Health has confirmed the quarantine end date will be February 19, unless there are any other unforeseen developments. We understand and empathize with the frustration of many of our guests, crew, and their families across the world during this ever-evolving situation. Thank you for your continued patience during this challenging time. http://*****/38cSolS

In answer to OP's hypothetical:  I would rather be in the US closer to family and, should I be infected, able to discuss my medical situation in my native language.

• Thanks 1

I'll take the Air Base as well. I've stayed at the Yukon Lodge. It's on a par with the average Fairfield Inn, with quite comfortable rooms. Yeah, it's cold here right now ( it will be -20C tonight), but you can at least go for a walk outside if you want to. They've got loads of support in place for the returnees.

I would also pick air force base. I am perfectly happy to cruise in inside rooms to save money but no way would I want to be stuck in an inside room for 14 days. I would lose my mind. Also think that you would have better access to medical care at the air force base.

Let's get practical here - military bases have been able to handle a plane load of several hundred people.   Not many, if any, could handle 3000-5000 people (Anthem of the Seas carries 4900 passengers PLUS crew) in quarantine.     At best, people might be jammed into huge open spaces (like during some natural disaster situations) with a cot and a blanket.    I'd pick the cruise ship,   

• Like 3