Issue with Shore excursion

cwaters32

I wanted to share an issue I had with a shore I took. Currently I am on the Gem today we were in Santa Marta Columbia I had booked the excursion Taironaka Indian reserve before the cruise, the description on Norwegian’s website listed the excursion as a level 2 with easy to moderate walking.  It was the worst excursion I have ever done It was more like a strenuous hike over very rocky terrain.  The guide was not helpful and kept rushing us at one point one of the other people was helping us down this rocky slope the guide was no where to be found.  After I got back to the ship I talked to the shore excursion manager to complain about the tour she was rude and accused me of not reading the description of the tour, I had copied all my shore excursions descriptions to my phone before I left I showed her that it said easy to moderate walking.  She showed me the order form they had on board, the description on the form was different than the website, it said the excursion was a level 3 with moderate to heavy walking.  She said she would email them to update the website.  I was trying to explain that you cannot change the  description of the  tour without letting people know their is a difference between easy and moderate and moderate and hard about that time a lady was walking by she was on the same tour she agreed with me, the manager told the lady to leave and stay out of the conversation.  I cannot believe they don’t seem to care about an issue on the tour.  They never apologized for the error.  When I get home I am taking this issue up with their corporate office.  

I’m sorry to hear this happened to you. I have never dealt with anyone less caring, downright rude, borderline nasty than the excursions staff on my last two cruises. Corporate didn’t even respond to my email. I hope you have better luck.

Was the only thing challenging about the walking the fact that it was over rocky uneven surfaces? Because it does say that in the website description. I do think that the strenuous ness of activity level is sooooo dependent on perspective. What’s strenuous to you may be moderate to me. What’s moderate to you may be impossible to someone else. 

66265B90-DE97-456E-820D-A9F3D6C6C0D8.png

• Like 2

11 hours ago, cwaters32 said:

I wanted to share an issue I had with a shore I took. Currently I am on the Gem today we were in Santa Marta Columbia I had booked the excursion Taironaka Indian reserve before the cruise, the description on Norwegian’s website listed the excursion as a level 2 with easy to moderate walking.  It was the worst excursion I have ever done It was more like a strenuous hike over very rocky terrain.  The guide was not helpful and kept rushing us at one point one of the other people was helping us down this rocky slope the guide was no where to be found.  After I got back to the ship I talked to the shore excursion manager to complain about the tour she was rude and accused me of not reading the description of the tour, I had copied all my shore excursions descriptions to my phone before I left I showed her that it said easy to moderate walking.  She showed me the order form they had on board, the description on the form was different than the website, it said the excursion was a level 3 with moderate to heavy walking.  She said she would email them to update the website.  I was trying to explain that you cannot change the  description of the  tour without letting people know their is a difference between easy and moderate and moderate and hard about that time a lady was walking by she was on the same tour she agreed with me, the manager told the lady to leave and stay out of the conversation.  I cannot believe they don’t seem to care about an issue on the tour.  They never apologized for the error.  When I get home I am taking this issue up with their corporate office.  

If you are still on the ship, please speak with the Hotel Manager about this.  The time to keep pushing it up the chain is while you are on the ship.  If you are in a suite, take it up with your concierge, that will really help.

This has NOTHING to do with guest services. If you want to complain, Cruise Critic is NOT the place to do it. 

Talk directly to the ShoreEx Manager. Not one of the workers at the desk. If that does not seem satisfactory, take it up with the General Manager directly.  

That being said, the description of the “issue” seems to be consistent with the description of the tour. And consistent with other Level 2 tours we have taken. If you want/need flat surfaces, you should stick with Level 1 tours. 

We are older and have bad knees. And we struggle a bit with tours like the one described by the OP. But we book them with full knowledge that a Level 2 requires some physical capabilities and that we have to push ourselves at times. 

Edited by BirdTravels

This happened to me once on a kayak tour.  The description said "easy" and imagined gliding along the water, effortlessly.  Well, lol, for me it was a Level 3 tour.  After that, I looked more at the body of the tour and not the Level of the tour and I know my limitations.

Level 2 is a subjective level.  To me, it would mean not easy and moderate walking to me means "don't take it if you aren't a good walker".

If you're on the ship complain to the excursion desk.  However, if you are overtly "not in good condition" they are going to refer to the description.

21 hours ago, cwaters32 said:

She showed me the order form they had on board, the description on the form was different than the website, it said the excursion was a level 3 with moderate to heavy walking.  She said she would email them to update the website.

I think some folks are not paying attention to the critical fact posted by the OP (quoted above): that shorex on board admitted that the web site description was not correct -- the tour was not a Level 2 (per the web site) but the more strenuous Level 3.  

OP: I agree with others that you should address this on board; that's the place to take care of this.  I would ask shorex for a refund.   Speak again to the Shorex Manager about this, and then escalate it up if necessary.  I'm not sure if there's anyone between the Shorex Mgr and the General Manager, but go there next if so.  If not, you should take this up with the GM.    In case you need it, get a copy of the on board order form showing the excursion to be Level 3.  Show that and the Level 2 description on the web site to the folks you talk to.  

Good luck!

I hope you are otherwise enjoying the cruise.  We were on the prior sailing, NY to SF.   Great trip!

• Like 1

I see two issues - #1 that the activity level was changed without notifying people. I would book a level #2 excursion, but based on a prior experience with a level #3, I would not book one for most locales.   The second issue is that no matter whether she complained to the right person or not, she was treated rudely by a cruise ship employee as was apparently another cruise guest. 

• Like 1

Agree about getting this resolved while onboard through the chains of command suggested above.

Regarding this particular excursion and the comments about bad knees and being older (all good points, Bird Travels!) this particular shorex has a wrinkle I've never seen on a tour listing: one cannot book this shorex over age 60 per the tour operator's restrictions.  

Red lights flashing, I booked something else on the NY-SFO leg.  Have done other "2's" and been challenged.  Agree Level 3 would be out of the question and should not be dismissed by tour desk.

Please come back and let us know but contact GM Metin if all else fails.  There's a Dear Metin box at Guest Services and they promise a prompt response.  Good luck!

On 2/8/2020 at 7:45 PM, Turtles06 said:

I think some folks are not paying attention to the critical fact posted by the OP (quoted above): that shorex on board admitted that the web site description was not correct -- the tour was not a Level 2 (per the web site) but the more strenuous Level 3.  

No, I saw that. Just not taking for granted that that's actually what was said. if the OP reads what they want when they are reading then they may hear what they want when they are listening. The OP isn't saying that everyone was struggling on the tour, just them, and that other participants were not only able to it but also offer assistance. I think this is a case where the OP didn't read the full description and booked a tour that was beyond their capabilities. One of the reasons I don't book ship tours whenever possible is the number of people who book excursions that are beyond their capabilities and slow the trip down for everyone else. 

Edited by sanger727

Some of my worst experiences with NCL personnel have been with their ShoreEx staff.  What OP wrote doesn't surprise me at all, which is sad actually.

We used to occasionally book excursions the morning we arrive in port if the mood hit us right (we are very , very relaxed cruisers).  We won't even consider it anymore on NCL because the ShoreEx staff tends to be so bad.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

Some of my worst experiences with NCL personnel have been with their ShoreEx staff.  What OP wrote doesn't surprise me at all, which is sad actually.

We used to occasionally book excursions the morning we arrive in port if the mood hit us right (we are very , very relaxed cruisers).  We won't even consider it anymore on NCL because the ShoreEx staff tends to be so bad.

FWIW, I just filled out 2 Hero cards for Gem shorex mgr Raluca and her team member Matea.  Didn't need a refund or have a problem.  They were helpful in willingness to discuss tours and address concerns I had regarding the level of physical activity.  Welcomed feedback about the 13 shorex I did, always a big wave, etc.

They were both leaving for vacation when I disembarked Jan. 24.  However, the current shorex mgr should be perfectly capable (and certainly no excuse to be rude) of resolving this issue.  I believe the OP that it was a level "2" shorex because I was looking at that very one and I'd never even give a 2nd glance to a "3."  So if onboard it was listed as a "3" then it needs to be rectified.  

It would seem to me, if, as a result, the OP had difficulty on a too strenuous excursion, it shouldn't matter if others had no problem.  Great for them....not so much for OP.

Edited by snorklinbarb