Docking in Cozumel with 5 other ships

lowbass

On our March 28, 2020 Symphony sailing we are scheduled to stop at Cozumel on April 1 from 8am and depart at 6pm. When I checked the Cozumel port schedule I found that there will be a total of 6 ships in port that same day including our ship. One of the other ships in port will be the Harmony of the Seas with about 6,000 passengers and the Celebrity Reflection with about 3500 passengers. There's also 2 other RCI ships in port and a Carnival ship. Altogether that seems like a lot of passengers visiting the island at the same time. My wife and I normally just take our time getting off ship in Cozumel and getting a taxi to a beach and relax for a few hours. I've never known it to be this many ships in port at the same time on Cozumel. I'm wondering if it's going to be difficult to find a nice quiet beach and just relax like normal.

Anyone have experience with a loaded port and any problems trying to enjoy your day in port?

We were in Cozumel in December and there were 8 or 9 ships in port our day.  The port area was quite crowded but we got to far side of the island to a nice beach area and it was really quite quiet there.

Screen Shot 2020-02-09 at 2.44.29 PM.png

The red pin is where we were.  There is a small bar/restaurant/shop on one side of the road and nice quiet secluded beach area on the other side.

2449EEC6-F05E-4859-A559-E18C660EFA76_1_105_c.jpeg

6F109278-4209-4700-B06D-296B3C38652D_1_105_c.jpeg

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 1

I was there in December and there were 8 ships in port.  The only time things got hairy was meeting up for tours, they crushed everyone into a small place.  I started to get very annoyed but once tours started leaving things cleared up and it was fine. So if you just avoid that meeting place the rest of the area is normal and not crowded at all.  

It will be ok once you get to downtown. I walk a few blocks inland anyway as the drink prices drop once you get off the main drag. Worse part was being next to the MSC Seaside and they thought they owned the entire dock with their excursion tours blocking the pier. 

19 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

We were in Cozumel in December and there were 8 or 9 ships in port our day.  The port area was quite crowded but we got to far side of the island to a nice beach area and it was really quite quiet there.

Screen Shot 2020-02-09 at 2.44.29 PM.png

The red pin is where we were.  There is a small bar/restaurant/shop on one side of the road and nice quiet secluded beach area on the other side.

2449EEC6-F05E-4859-A559-E18C660EFA76_1_105_c.jpeg

6F109278-4209-4700-B06D-296B3C38652D_1_105_c.jpeg

Playa San Martin?

2 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

No, it was a stop as part of our excursion but you could easily take a taxi there. There were others who arrived independently 

Not so easy to take a  taxi on a cruise ship day unless you have it wait for you. 

Alternative is self-drive (an issue in itself), or various drive excursions. 

As Crew says, upstairs at bar across from San Martin?

21 hours ago, grouchomarx said:

The only time things got hairy was meeting up for tours, they crushed everyone into a small place. 

We had 5 ships when I was there in January and I agree this was the worst part. Not terrible, just crammed.

Once we got away from the port, there was no worry about too many people.