Worst canelation policy in the cruise industry

I am very sorry about your MIL.  Terrible for her and the entire family.

As a few others have said, please call again, and if that doesn't work, check with your credit card company.

But if none of these options work, I totally get your frustration and understand your decision not to give Royal anymore of your money. 

Sorry about your circumstances, but let me share that about 9 years ago my Mother passed while  I was on a RCI cruise around Australia and about 1/2 way through the 36 night cruise we had to head back to the states.   I had travel insurance (not through RCI) and RCI helped with the documentation I needed for my insurance claim.  But in not way did I expect RCI to compensate me in any way.    This is what Travel insurance is for.

Sorry JMHO.

Steve

• Like 13

OP - how far out is your cruise?  Assume you past final payment date.

I have a 101 year old MIL and 91 year old mother.  Both are in reasonable health but would still never sail without travel insurance.  Had to leave cruise early once because of death in the family.  Travel insurance reimbursed me for remainder of cruise plus flight home.

4 hours ago, Familytravelsto said:

I’m sorry to hear about your Mom, I can imagine the stress of losing her is adding to your frustration with RC. 

That being said- I think their offer to let you rebook the cruise for a later date or to allow you a name change was generous, as they would have been within their right not to allow you anything. Insurance would have covered you in this situation, as an illness or death in your immediate family is a covered reason under almost all trip insurance policies. 

Any chance you paid for your cruise with a credit card (rather than a debit)? Sometimes credit cards come with travel insurance, so you may check on that.

Again, sorry about your Mom. I say take the re-booking option and deal with planning a future trip another time after you’ve attended to your grieving. 

Edited to Add: I misread the original post and thought that he was saying RC wouldn’t offer a refund but offered to rebook at a later date. I re-read it and see that he was saying that’s what he was hoping for, but didn’t get.

also- to those of you who also misread his post- his mother died. Not his mother in law. He was saying that his wife could still go on the cruise with someone else, but her Mother in law died so why would she want to...

Edited by ARandomTraveler
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, makiramarlena said:

I would think there's some insurance that would cover cancellation with regard to the health of close relatives, including those who are not going on the cruise.

It does- see the red underlined portion of my trip insurance policy. It covers death of the insured, traveling companion, business partner, or family member. 

3130CB59-153A-4E8C-A31D-48063CB5960B.png

Edited by ARandomTraveler

2 hours ago, swooldri said:

Sorry about your circumstances, but let me share that about 9 years ago my Mother passed while  I was on a RCI cruise around Australia and about 1/2 way through the 36 night cruise we had to head back to the states.   I had travel insurance (not through RCI) and RCI helped with the documentation I needed for my insurance claim.  But in not way did I expect RCI to compensate me in any way.    This is what Travel insurance is for.

Sorry JMHO.

Steve

I agree and have experienced a similar situation when my father passed away while we were cruising in 2012. We planned ahead and had insurance which covered flying home from Honolulu and cancelling the following cruise (b2b) we were booked on.

I don't understand why people think a cruise line or business isn't compassionate if they don't refund or let you travel at another time when an unforeseen situation, health problem or death occur . Travel insurance isn't that expensive and would cover expenses in OP's situation. 

I'm also sorry to hear about the loss of OP's relative. 

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, nelblu said:

My Chase Sapphire card covers cancellation events.  Haven't a need to use it and see if any problems.

Yes.  But Chase does not cover pre existing conditions for you or non traveling family members. So if the OP had the Chase card, there is a good chance that the mother's condition would have been a pre existing condition and Chase would not cover the cancellation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lovescats5 said:

I am sorry to hear about your MIL.  But at what point then should a cruise line offer a refund or change in sailing.  For you it is your MIL.  Next person will want to cancel or change for a grandmother.  Then the next person will expect the same thing for an aunt or uncle.  Once an exception is made it is hard to go back to what the original contract was.  I hope you get a resolution for your situation but I do not think RCI is out of line by refusing your request.

How will other people know that? I don't think OP or many people will go online and brag about having to change their cruise because a close relative died. I really don't get why people think if one person gets to do something then EVERYONE in the world will know and try to do the same thing. The only reason we know what happened to OP is because they were upset with the response they received from RCI. If RCI would have permitted them to reschedule their cruise OP probably wouldn't even post anything about their situation.

At the least RCI should ask for proof of death, then allow OP to reschedule the cruise and pay any difference. To me it's no difference if OP's spouse died 2 days before their cruise. Would RCI expect OP to still go on the cruise if they didn't have trip insurance?

11 minutes ago, lowbass said:

How will other people know that? I don't think OP or many people will go online and brag about having to change their cruise because a close relative died. I really don't get why people think if one person gets to do something then EVERYONE in the world will know and try to do the same thing. The only reason we know what happened to OP is because they were upset with the response they received from RCI. If RCI would have permitted them to reschedule their cruise OP probably wouldn't even post anything about their situation.

At the least RCI should ask for proof of death, then allow OP to reschedule the cruise and pay any difference. To me it's no difference if OP's spouse died 2 days before their cruise. Would RCI expect OP to still go on the cruise if they didn't have trip insurance?

RCI is a business. While we all feel sorry for the OP's situation and loss it's not up to RCI to make it right for those who choose not to buy travel insurance. I know this sounds harsh but it's reality and also not fair to those of us who do buy insurance. 

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise
  • Like 14

2 hours ago, lazydayz said:

I am very sorry about your MIL.  Terrible for her and the entire family.

As a few others have said, please call again, and if that doesn't work, check with your credit card company.

But if none of these options work, I totally get your frustration and understand your decision not to give Royal anymore of your money. 

That's what I don't get about a lot of these replies to this post. Many here are saying "RCI does not have to be generous", "that's what trip protection is for". All true but.....

RCI is not generous and they potentially are losing 2 customers forever all for not being flexible and a little generous. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, lowbass said:

This is what Travel insurance is for.  If you purchase Insurance and RCI reimburses you (without having insurance) why purchase insurance?  ???????

Edited by swooldri
spelling
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

RCI is a business. While we all feel sorry for the OP's situation and loss it's not up to RCI to make it right for those who choose not to buy travel insurance. I know this sounds harsh but it's reality and also not fair to those of us who do buy insurance. 

I would say that the vast majority of people don't buy trip insurance because they can't afford it or think it's necessary. Not so they can get their money back or reschedule a cruise if they have an emergency right before their cruise. 

When my wife and I first started cruising we just did 3 or 4 night cruises. And we never brought trip insurance because we didn't feel like it was needed(and it never was needed).

Now we take 7 day or longer cruises and we always get trip insurance.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, swooldri said:

This is what Travel insurance is for.  If you purchase Insurance and RCI reimburses you (without having insurance) why purchase insurance?  ???????

Trip insurance is also for transportation to your cruise, sickness while on your cruise, injuries which keep you from cruising. It's for a lot of things a lot less traumatic than a close family member dying right before you cruise.

• Like 3

People will not be able to keep it to themselves when they see what another person did or did not get, that is the nature of us humans.  I do not know how many ways I read about how to get hard liquor on board and they knew it was against policy.  So eventually the word would get out.  But as most people have mentioned, travel insurance would take care of the problem, it they had purchased it from someone.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lowbass said:

Trip insurance is also for transportation to your cruise, sickness while on your cruise, injuries which keep you from cruising. It's for a lot of things a lot less traumatic than a close family member dying right before you cruise.

Agree ............................

4 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Call again, get a different rep, get a whole new answer. Seen it happen many times. You just got a rep having a bad day.

They should let you carry the money over to a later cruise.

This is true. I’ve been denied making changes to many past bookings, just to wait a day or two and get it done with a rep and supervisor willing to listen and make an exception to the rules. It’s a good idea to be heartfelt, not demanding  - Not to say you weren’t.

Trip insurance. Yes, it adds to the cost of the trip. I don't buy it for inexpensive trips if I really don't care if I can't make the trip and have to lose the money but purchase for more expensive trips. Next big one is cancel for any reason.

It seems unlikely the OP wasn't offered the chance to buy insurance at some point.

Edited by twins_to_alaska
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, lovescats5 said:

People will not be able to keep it to themselves when they see what another person did or did not get, that is the nature of us humans.  I do not know how many ways I read about how to get hard liquor on board and they knew it was against policy.  So eventually the word would get out.  But as most people have mentioned, travel insurance would take care of the problem, it they had purchased it from someone.

Sorry, it's not my nature. And I'm human. I wouldn't go online and brag about it, or run tell others about it. Personally speaking, I would be very grateful to RCI and continue to give them my business. And I also would never take another cruise WITHOUT buying trip insurance. Just because I wouldn't want to go through that scenario again. That's what I think most humans would do. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ARandomTraveler said:

Ialso- to those of you who also misread his post- his mother died. Not his mother in law. He was saying that his wife could still go on the cruise with someone else, but her Mother in law died so why would she want to...

OP wrote: I learned that my mother who has cancer, has only days left

so mom hadn't died yet as of posting... and perhaps could live much longer than days...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

I don't see it would be unfair. Travel insurance covers you for a whole variety of things which wouldn't be requested here, whether personal sickness and injury during the trip, travel delays and other losses. It also refunds for the loss when the poster is only asking for a deferral.

If they were offered that, it would be a foolish thing to let that suggest you shouldn't get travel insurance for other coverage.

18 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

I don't see it would be unfair. Travel insurance covers you for a whole variety of things which wouldn't be requested here, whether personal sickness and injury during the trip, travel delays and other losses. It also refunds for the loss when the poster is only asking for a deferral.

If they were offered that, it would be a foolish thing to let that suggest you shouldn't get travel insurance for other coverage.

I agree about the reasons for travel insurance but OP is requesting a change in travel dates.....I assume since he didn't have insurance. Changing dates would cost RCI $$$ and would have been covered had OP had travel insurance. 

• Like 1

Not fair to people who pay for insurance for cruise lines to rebook a different date for people who chose not to buy it.  

I had a cruise booked for 1/5/2020.  My father in law was admitted into hospice care on January 3rd.  We cancelled our cruise and made an insurance claim.

• Like 3