Advice Appreiciated!

Diane67B

Good morning fellow cruisers!

My sister and I would like to book our next cruise while we are on the Encore next month. We did the Getaway last year. We were thinking about going in January of 2022. We LOVE the big ships, the breakaway class and want to do a 10 day southern Caribbean  cruise. Are there any that you would recommend? It seems that many Norwegian ships that do caribbean cruises are the smaller ships. Thank you so much!

The only ship NCL currently has a schedule out for January 2022 is Pride of America. There's a chance they might release it before next month, but no one knows. Also the breakaway class normally stick to 7 day cruises and finding a 7 day cruise that is not a repositioning cruise is rare. In fact, in Jan 2021 there's only 4 cruise options on a breakaway ship that's more than 9 days - with one being a LAX to Miami cruise. 

• Haha 1

The large ships tend to do the 7 day routes.  Take a look at the repo cruises.  For example, I'm booked on an 11 day repo cruise on the Getaway in January 2021. We start in New York and end in Miami.  It a great itinerary hitting the ABC islands.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have done that 10 day Southern Caribbean twice -- once with my husband, and once with my sister.  Both times it was on NCL Sun, my very favorite ship.  Breakfast at the Great Outdoors was absolutely delightful.  I would do it again in a heartbeat, especially if I were in a suite (although the mini suites on the Sun are quite large).  I prefer traveling on smaller ships so cannot compare the Sun to any of the Away ones or larger.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Double Jack said:

The large ships tend to do the 7 day routes.  Take a look at the repo cruises.  For example, I'm booked on an 11 day repo cruise on the Getaway in January 2021. We start in New York and end in Miami.  It a great itinerary hitting the ABC islands.

I did a 12-day Southern Caribbean on the Bliss in December, so the do some longer itineraries on the bigger ships sometimes at least!

• Haha 1

I'm booked on a 9 day southern Caribbean r/t from Miami for May 2021 on the Breakaway. Although they're few and far between, they do exist on the mega ships. 

FWIW, the itinerary is Aruba, Curacao, Bonaire, and Puerto Plata (DR). IMO it's the perfect blend of sea days and port days, with really good times at port:

Fri Miami, Florida --- 4:00 PM 0
Sat At Sea --- --- 0
Sun At Sea --- --- 0
Mon Oranjestad, Aruba 8:00 AM 8:00 PM 0
Tue Willemstad, Curaçao 8:00 AM 8:00 PM 0
Wed Kralendijk, Bonaire 7:00 AM 4:00 PM 0
Thu At Sea --- --- 0
Fri Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic 7:00 AM 5:00 PM 0
Sat At Sea --- --- 0
Sun Miami, Florida (Flight Departure) 7:00 AM --- 0
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

I did a 12-day Southern Caribbean on the Bliss in December, so the do some longer itineraries on the bigger ships sometimes at least!

The ships when deployed to their cruise area do a routine cycle and then just before or after going to another deployment

(repositioning) do the 9-10-11-day etc. odd cruises.

Similar activity occurs with the smaller ships.

Makes the best use of seasonal sailing - the BLISS was formerly doing 7 day cycle cruises in Alaska. 

• Haha 1

I know the Epic is not an away class ship, but  it’s a big ship with most of the bells and whistles of away class ships. It has cruised out of SAN Juan to the Southern Caribbean on 7 and 10 itineraries for the past couple winters and will again in 2021. Don’t know about  2021.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JC5240 said:

FWIW, the itinerary is Aruba, Curacao, Bonaire, and Puerto Plata (DR). IMO it's the perfect blend of sea days and port days, with really good times at port:

This looks like a perfect itinerary!  Just the right balance of sea days and ports!  I'll have to look at this one closer! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

JC5240, that literally looks like a perfect cruise itinerary! Thanks so much for all your replies. I truly appreciate you taking the time. I’m thinking maybe I would try a smaller ship if they had good food and entertainment with a great itinerary. For those who like the smaller ships, how do food and entertainment compare between breakaway ships and smaller ships? Thanks again! 😀

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, nhtravels said:

This looks like a perfect itinerary!  Just the right balance of sea days and ports!  I'll have to look at this one closer! 

It does look the perfect itinerary.....and I just booked it this morning😎

The Breakaway is doing this 9 day Southern to the ABC islands twice- once in April and then again in May of 2021.  I too love the entertainment and nightlife on this class of ship.   Breakaway has the new Broadway show 'Six' that we are excited to see.  It also has Burn the Floor dance show which we always enjoy.    Also, love the new venue Syd Norman's Rock the Pour House.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1