Stock Benefit Question

FLAHAM

I was pleased to receive $250 in credit for owning NCLH stock for use on my upcoming 15-day Getaway transatlantic cruise.  I would like to be clear on one point:  can I use this credit to help purchase CruiseNext certificates?  If not, I guess I am going to bring home a couple of bottles of expensive cognac from the ship's stores.  Thank you in advance for advice.  

2 hours ago, FLAHAM said:

I was pleased to receive $250 in credit for owning NCLH stock for use on my upcoming 15-day Getaway transatlantic cruise.  I would like to be clear on one point:  can I use this credit to help purchase CruiseNext certificates?  If not, I guess I am going to bring home a couple of bottles of expensive cognac from the ship's stores.  Thank you in advance for advice.  

That's awesome. Better to do 15 days to get the full $250. 14 days only $100.

And you are a solo guest paying for 2 people to get the full $250.

Yes, you can use the $250 on cruise next. So, if you buy 2 for $500 you'll end with $250 back from NCL and $250 back for your shareholder benefit, for a grand total of FREE. Now that's a FREE AT SEA perk!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, blcruising said:

That's awesome. Better to do 15 days to get the full $250. 14 days only $100.

And you are a solo guest paying for 2 people to get the full $250.

Yes, you can use the $250 on cruise next. So, if you buy 2 for $500 you'll end with $250 back from NCL and $250 back for your shareholder benefit, for a grand total of FREE. Now that's a FREE AT SEA perk!

We do this all the time.  It's the only way I know of to turn non-refundable OBC into cash.

16 minutes ago, kdmbluerzr said:

Great info! My Hubs and I have been seriously looking at buying into NCL stocks. And typically buy CruiseNext certs to use on future cruises. I like this. Thanks all! 

I'm not a stockbroker but might not the ideal time to buy any cruise stock, what with coronavirus scaring new cruisers (and a few old, not me). NCLH has fallen from 58 to 52 in the last 4 weeks perhaps guessing due to coronavirus. But stocks rise and fall. NCLH has been as high as 59 and as low as 46 in the last year, so who knows? I've owned NCLH for awhile and haven't sold so if you're a long term investor, why not? 😉

• Like 1

Just now, Petoonya said:

I'm not a stockbroker but might not the ideal time to buy any cruise stock, what with coronavirus scaring new cruisers (and a few old, not me). NCLH has fallen from 58 to 52 in the last 4 weeks perhaps guessing due to coronavirus. But stocks rise and fall. NCLH has been as high as 59 and as low as 46 in the last year, so who knows? I've owned NCLH for awhile and haven't sold so if you're a long term investor, why not? 😉

For sure! We have been watching NCLH stock prices and noticed a decline recently. Now might be the buyers market.  🙂 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, kdmbluerzr said:

For sure! We have been watching NCLH stock prices and noticed a decline recently. Now might be the buyers market.  🙂 

I don't know kdmbluezr. If the fear of coronavirus and the association goes along with cruise ships and stands a fairly decent chance of increasing, I would be cautious.

But again I'm an avid investor not a broker.

Edited by Petoonya

Agree with both Petoonya and Joken35. With this new virus fear and hype stocks may continue to decline for awhile (good time to buy), however likely will show good growth down the road. 

As a soon to be Platinum cruiser with NCL, and prefer longer cruises, will be nice to enjoy the OBC and few other perks that go along with being a stockholder.  

• Like 1

Earnings reports on NCLH out Thursday.  I think I will jump in if stock dips below $48.  It may bounce upward if it has favorable report and projections going forward.  Long term, if economy stays strong and coronovirus does not turn into Captain Tripps NCLH should continue to go higher.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Joken35 said:

We have benefited from the stockholders OBC  many times. I look  at it as  “unreported income “ rather than the dividend you might receive from other stock, which you pay tax on. 

I look at it as a tax-free dividend.  😊

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kdmbluerzr said:

Agree with both Petoonya and Joken35. With this new virus fear and hype stocks may continue to decline for awhile (good time to buy), however likely will show good growth down the road. 

As a soon to be Platinum cruiser with NCL, and prefer longer cruises, will be nice to enjoy the OBC and few other perks that go along with being a stockholder.  

Other perks??? Please elaborate!

I bought my stock shortly before my 2nd cruise @47.7.  Other than a few dips, it's pretty much always been above that, so I'm not concerned about getting my money back when I stop cruising and decide to sell.  OBC results in tax-free dividends, so if you are actively cruising, it's a good deal.  If I wasn't cruising much, probably not something I'd buy.  Have my first 15 day cruise coming up and seeing that 250 OBC was kinda nice!

To clarify.... I wasn't sure about the "other perks" part of my last comment. I had heard from a friend that talked to someone else, blah blah, that they had received some boarding, dining perks along with a sometimes other preference treatment as a stockholder. Nowhere on the NCLH site had I read that part to be true, just the OBC. When I joined in this thread, was hoping to see comment from others that had first hand experience. And I did. Thanks.  

Still on the fence about buy in. We cruise a couple times a year, but not always your 15+ day length. No interested in the 7 day stuff, but will likely do a lot of 11 to 14. 

Does anyone know if a B2B is considered two different cruises or 1?   Thanks

3 hours ago, seemoreroyals said:

Earnings reports on NCLH out Thursday.  I think I will jump in if stock dips below $48.  It may bounce upward if it has favorable report and projections going forward.  Long term, if economy stays strong and coronovirus does not turn into Captain Tripps NCLH should continue to go higher.

I feel like the floor will be right at 50.  I think even a great earnings report will be hampered by the virus scare.  If it touches the 40s I am in for my 100+ shares to get into this club.  

23 minutes ago, kdmbluerzr said:

Does anyone know if a B2B is considered two different cruises or 1?   Thanks

I did a B2B and treated it as 2, but I booked them at separate times.  If you book 2x7, you are ahead of the game.  If you book longer B2B cruises, it could be to your advantage to have them joined.

I have seen discussions where people have booked a B2B and it seems as if it was handled as a single cruise, but I don't know that for sure (the discussion wasn't about stock benefits).  Hard to actually say, especially since people report different outcomes with this benefit - especially solo travelers.

I'm doing a 15 nighter in April.  I went ahead and bought the stock at $51.50 two weeks ago.  Like others have said, I look at it as a tax free dividend.  We cruise a few times a year, so I think it's worth it.  While the stock my continue to drop a bit, it will not become worthless.  We are long term investors, and I'm an optimist.  I have confidence we won't lose on the investment. 

4 hours ago, seemoreroyals said:

Love the reference in the highlighted part.  It may be time to make your Stand!  Just Don't fear the Reaper!

• Like 3

It might be a great time to buy. Stock dip should happen soon as coronvirus news continues. Same for booking cruises as some of the cruise prices are excellent.

I also bought RCL during a dip many years ago and it’s up over 100 %. RCL pays more in obc. RCL also has a dividend. 
We enjoyed the RCL line and celebrity but much more fun on NCL. 

• Like 1

On 2/17/2020 at 3:07 PM, FLAHAM said:

Yes but the computer system will be off if you also have other obc.

The computer system will apply other charges to the shareholders obc.

And other forms of obc cannot be used for CN certificates.

But it will be all reconsiled by final bill on debarkation day.

Note: the official policy if you are solo is that you get 1/2 the obc.

So for a 15+ day, don't be surprised to be only issued $125 (If solo).

Some people have slipped through the cracks and have gotten full obc while sailing solo 😮

Edited by fstuff1