Crown Grill

Justalone

On 2/21/2020 at 2:54 AM, Cruiserkenn said:

Could it be said that Crown Grill is a good value, compared to Mortons or Ruth's Chris?    I think maybe so🙂🙂🍷🙂🙂🍷

You can't even compare the two. They are drastically different. The Crown Grill doesn't come close to comparing.

Where I live, we can get far better meals than Crown Grill for the same price and I am not talking Mortons.

57 minutes ago, Coral said:

You can't even compare the two. They are drastically different. The Crown Grill doesn't come close to comparing.

Where I live, we can get far better meals than Crown Grill for the same price and I am not talking Mortons.

Do they also include all the appetizers & desserts you can eat?

What BOGO free coupons?

47 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Do they also include all the appetizers & desserts you can eat?

What BOGO free coupons?

It doesn't matter. The quality of the food is so different that you can't compare.

We can get a $30 meal (or for less) where I live that is so much better than the Crown Grill. The quality of the Crown Grill items is not that great. I think the best item on my dish last time was the asparagus.

If you are happy with the quality of the Crown Grill - more power to you. I can do much better where I live.

Edited by Coral

3 minutes ago, Coral said:

We can get a $30 meal (or for less) where I live that is so much better than the Crown Grill. The quality of the Crown Grill items is not that great. I think the best item on my dish last time was the asparagus.

I agree.  But, I do like the black and blue french onion soup!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pablo222 said:

I agree.  But, I do like the black and blue french onion soup!

Ok - I can't get that here but I am not a blue/roquefort cheese or onion fan. I don't even think you can get a good French onion soup here. Maybe 1 restaurant an hour from here but not sure......

I understand from my friends that Princess does excel on this dish.

5 minutes ago, voljeep said:

well, you do live in the heart of beef country, correct ?

Yea - we have restaurants that the cows are raised across the street.

I live in the city but all the small towns around me have these small restaurants with exceptional beef. 

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

I wish they would refresh the dessert menu, I don't think it has been looked at too much for years, and nothing appeals to me too much, especially after a filling two preceding courses! 

Overall quality is good, and sometimes they have waived the $10 surcharge for another appetiser to share (chilli / whiskey glazed prawns and rice is our absolute favourite) if we joke with the server or chat nicely, and luckily we take advantage of the 'Suite first night eat there free offer'. If I had to pay $58 I would think twice.

We enjoy the upgrade restaurants on every cruise. We will do the Crown Grill 2 or 3 times and Sabatini's a couple of times as well as the Chefs Table and many times  plan the  UBD for a port where we are tendering and we can enjoy the balcony without wind. The experience for us is very pleasant. We enjoy the atmosphere of a normal size restaurant and not the enormous dinning rooms that can get very noisy. We have done many different arrangements utilizing the upgrade places. The last trip to Hawaii on a 15 day cruise we ate at the crown 9 nights.  We tried all the different entrees. We had the beef ( a few times),  rack of lamb ( a couple times), sea bass, veal chops, and the mussel pot. We had   many wonderful times being served by the same waiter  5 times and a colleague the other 4 times. We have plans to join the Star and we will book the upgrade places at least 6 nights and of course the Chefs table. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

What BOGO free coupons?

A coupon booklet that's a perk from some (not all) travel agents certain times of the year.

The best things in the booklet are the BOGO for a specialty restaurant (first night only) and the large bottle of water if you eat in a specialty restaurant.

We combine them: embarkation night in Crown Grill at 2 for 1 plus the bottle of water.

Our TA gives us 2 booklets, so we either save one for another time or give one away.

8 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

A coupon booklet that's a perk from some (not all) travel agents certain times of the year.

The best things in the booklet are the BOGO for a specialty restaurant (first night only) and the large bottle of water if you eat in a specialty restaurant.

We combine them: embarkation night in Crown Grill at 2 for 1 plus the bottle of water.

Our TA gives us 2 booklets, so we either save one for another time or give one away.

I meant to post "What about the BOGO free coupons".

Sorry.

Being frugal, it's the only time we go to Sabatini's or the Crown Grill.😄

2 hours ago, Fat Albert said:

We enjoy the upgrade restaurants on every cruise. We will do the Crown Grill 2 or 3 times and Sabatini's a couple of times as well as the Chefs Table and many times  plan the  UBD for a port where we are tendering and we can enjoy the balcony without wind. The experience for us is very pleasant. We enjoy the atmosphere of a normal size restaurant and not the enormous dinning rooms that can get very noisy. We have done many different arrangements utilizing the upgrade places. The last trip to Hawaii on a 15 day cruise we ate at the crown 9 nights.  We tried all the different entrees. We had the beef ( a few times),  rack of lamb ( a couple times), sea bass, veal chops, and the mussel pot. We had   many wonderful times being served by the same waiter  5 times and a colleague the other 4 times. We have plans to join the Star and we will book the upgrade places at least 6 nights and of course the Chefs table. 

Thanks for your good thoughts.  I like!  🌝🍷🌈🌠🐬🌅🍷🌞

17 hours ago, Coral said:

I have been to these places, such as Ruth's Chris, and I still think maybe so!

Cheers and bon appetit🌝🍷🎂🍮🍰🍨🍪🍤🍖🍗🍜🍡🙂

• Like 1

On 2/23/2020 at 9:45 AM, Coral said:

If you are happy with the quality of the Crown Grill - more power to you. I can do much better where I live.

This is really uncalled for levels of snark. It's fantastic (I mean that sincerely,) that some people have access to a cow killed yesterday from a ranch two miles over, but not everyone does. The beef that high class steak houses have access to is still excellent quality.

I am a three minute drive from the Atlantic ocean and have access to the highest level of seafood out there. I would never tell someone not to eat at a high quality seafood restaurant that wasn't here, because "more power to you if you want substandard quality."

The steak at Crown grill is excellent. It's not "Wyoming's fresh kill," excellent, but it's still very high quality. While you may have no reason to eat there, more people don't have access to freshly killed beef than do, so we need something. 🙂

I have eaten fresh beef in Kansas, Oklahoma & Nebraska. It's excellent, to be sure, but it's not SOOO much better that eating it elsewhere should be condemned.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Kmkub said:

This is really uncalled for levels of snark. It's fantastic (I mean that sincerely,) that some people have access to a cow killed yesterday from a ranch two miles over, but not everyone does. The beef that high class steak houses have access to is still excellent quality.

I am a three minute drive from the Atlantic ocean and have access to the highest level of seafood out there. I would never tell someone not to eat at a high quality seafood restaurant that wasn't here, because "more power to you if you want substandard quality."

The steak at Crown grill is excellent. It's not "Wyoming's fresh kill," excellent, but it's still very high quality. While you may have no reason to eat there, more people don't have access to freshly killed beef than do, so we need something. 🙂

I have eaten fresh beef in Kansas, Oklahoma & Nebraska. It's excellent, to be sure, but it's not SOOO much better that eating it elsewhere should be condemned.

I have eaten beef all over the world. While ours is excellent, I don't find Crown Grill any better than Outback Steakhouse which I find mediocre. I have eaten with others at Crown Grill who don't live where I do and they order the Sea Bass as they don't find the beef that good either there. Again, I find the quality similar to Outback or Texas Roadhouse. Some asked if it was close to Ruth's Chris. No it is not.

43 minutes ago, Cruiserkenn said:

Another nice thing about Crown Grill is the fantastic view from a booth by the Windows, on Grand Class ships.

Especially at night.

However, on regal/royal, you might get stuck over by the piano player ... where there is no view, and it's a

little loud for conversation.

• Like 1

I've had some decent meals in Crown Grill.  But a few years ago on the Pacific Princess I had the Ribeye.  I thought it looked a little thin, but it was tasty.  Next night in the MDR Ribeye was on the menu.  My wife ordered it.  It was the exact same cut!  I felt a little ripped off.

CG can be hit and miss. 

BTW to some of you:  One does not want fresh cut beef.  One wants properly aged beef.  This is where the great restaurants excel.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, mrmarklin said:

BTW to some of you:  One does not want fresh cut beef.  One wants properly aged beef.  This is where the great restaurants excel.

True. I misspoke. A good steak house in Kansas is going to have a better steak than good steak houses in other places. 

We have had one bad meal in CG, but gave it another chance on another cruise. The bad visit was a one-off. In general, we find their steaks to be better than Outback. We stopped going to Outback years ago, due to their declining quality.

We haven't cruised Princess in five years. Looking forward to going back to CG in December.

• Like 2

if I want "just a steak", I go to our 'local' … Publix … and get a nice bone-in ribeye for the grill at home

if I want a "really good steak" , I take the 15 minute or so drive to the Specialty Meat Market and see what they recommend based on what they have on hand - usually 3 times the price of 'just a steak'

and we also have an Outback, Ruth Chris, and a Shula's within easy driving distance … so we got that going for us as well

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, pablo222 said:

Especially at night.

However, on regal/royal, you might get stuck over by the piano player ... where there is no view, and it's a

little loud for conversation.

That's where we had to sit on the Regal last cruise. 

Never again.

We'll get there early or not at all. 

Thankfully we'll be on the Crown where there's no piano player & a better menu at Sabatini's. 

3 hours ago, Kmkub said:

True. I misspoke. A good steak house in Kansas is going to have a better steak than good steak houses in other places. 

We have had one bad meal in CG, but gave it another chance on another cruise. The bad visit was a one-off. In general, we find their steaks to be better than Outback. We stopped going to Outback years ago, due to their declining quality.

We haven't cruised Princess in five years. Looking forward to going back to CG in December.

You haven't sailed Princess in 5 years and you are defending the quality of steak in CG? I can tell you it has gone down quite a bit in 5 years. My last 2x made Outback look good. We no longer go to Crown Grill. The sides were pretty good but the steak was awful quality on our last 2 visits. It wasn't a one-off. We still go to Sabatini's.

1 hour ago, Casey12 said:

You haven't sailed Princess in 5 years and you are defending the quality of steak in CG? I can tell you it has gone down quite a bit in 5 years. My last 2x made Outback look good. We no longer go to Crown Grill. The sides were pretty good but the steak was awful quality on our last 2 visits. It wasn't a one-off. We still go to Sabatini's.

Better than Outback IMHO, but there are other options besides steak.  I like lamb, for example.  Don't forget the excellent sides, as well.

At some level, the personal service and quieter location are worth something as well as the supposed better food.

• Like 2