Alaska in sep on Oasis —with kids

Rsrcruise

First cruise for my kids and husband, as well as other family members. The kids are dying to see Alaska, but I’m a bit concerned about the sailing days when we’re not disembarking. Any thoughts? Kids are school age and preschool. 

Also, I remember way back when crown and anchor gave us voucher booklets.  Do they still do that for us lowly gold status folks?  If so what do they offer these days?

Do you mean Ovation?  Oasis doesn't do Alaska.  Ovation and Oasis are very different, but there are still a lot of things to keep the kids busy as well as an inside pool. Folks assume Alaska means super cold and snow, but the weather is usually quite pleasant.  We have been in May and September and both have been lovely with light coats for the most part.

Coupon books don't exist anymore.  Items are loaded onto your sea pass card.  Not sure what they offer for gold members.  You do have to ask for the coupons to be applied to purchases.  They are not automatically used.

BTW, I would suggest earlier than Sept if you can.  We thought the views were better before the snow melted and the waterfalls started drying up.

Edited by harlekuin
added info
  • Thanks 1

Hello,

I have sailed on Ovation twice with my children. There is so much for them to do, you will have a hard time choosing. Between the pools, kids club, sea plex, North Star, roller skating, ping pong, games, Shows,  movies-well you get my drift. 

Alaska is gorgeous. There Is so much to see 

I am from Victoria,Canada. If you have any questions about things to do in Port with kiddos I’m happy to help. 

We did not have very good weather when we did Alaska one year in September (I believe is was around the 7th or 8th of September.   We much prefer July or August.  Ovation is a destination type ship with lots to do for the kids.   I would make sure that you have a balcony cabin or at least an outside view view so that the kids do not feel isolated in the cabin or if you are travelling with other family members at least one group has a balcony.  Alaska is wonderful to wake up to in the morning. 

As far as ships that visit Alaska go, Ovation is probably best for kids.  Indoor family pool and the SeaPlex with different activities at times including bumper cars and roller skating.  

Your other choice is Radiance class with fewer spaces and activities for kids but even so still enjoyable ships.

Yikes, you’re right it is Ovation!  Glad to hear that there’s still a lot to do!  Our cruise ends in Vancouver, and we actually want to spend about two or three days on our own afterwards in Victoria.  Would love tips on hotels, things to do, activities with two little boys and my in-laws.  We are thinking Butchart gardens?  Maybe afternoon tea since my kids like it?  Really open to any and all ideas.

Afternoon tea in Victoria ? If you are referring to the Empress Hotel, when we were there last year it was hugely expensive! Check prices online. You might be able to find an out of the way tea shop that won’t blow a years budget. Victoria is a lovely city. We did a pedicab in Victoria, loved it. Bet the kids would also. A good way to get the lay of the land, before venturing off on your own. 

Be prepared for all sorts of weather in Alaska, can be warm one day and freezing the next. We were there in a June and it was freezing when going up to the glaciers. But warm In the cities. 

Have wonderful time ! Your children will have a ball both on and off the ship! Just make sure to turn off their cell phones ! Roaming charges I’ll kill you! 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rsrcruise said:

Our cruise ends in Vancouver, and we actually want to spend about two or three days on our own afterwards in Victoria.  Would love tips on hotels, things to do, activities with two little boys and my in-laws.

There's a whole section related to this part of Canada (maybe 2 actually), and there's a VERY helpful person that visits that section and provides info.  First, skim the threads as many of your questions are answered there.  

West Coast Departures helps with all West Coast stuff - California, Seattle, Canada.  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/315-west-coast-departures/

Here's a more Canada-oriented section - https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/23-canada-alaskapacific-coastal/

Victoria

-miniature world https://miniatureworld.com
-bug zoo https://miniatureworld.com
-royal BC museum  https://www.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/

- Beacon Hill Park https://www.victoria.ca/EN/main/residents/parks/beacon-hill.html

These are all downtown and within walking distance from each other. The museum is a must, you could spend half a day there, very interactive for kids. They also have an IMAX theatre inside that plays various Hollywood and educational films. 

-fisherman’s wharf is one of my family’s favourites. It’s an area specifically for houseboats that also has whale watching boats that leave from. It has the BEST fish and chips (can’t come to B.C. and not have good salmon and halibut. There is a kiosk that you can purchase sardines to feed the resident sea lion. https://gvha.ca/marinas-facilities/fishermans-wharf/

- Butchard gardens is also one of my favourites ( I have a seasons pass). September is a beautiful time to explore. There is a carousel for kids and wide open spaces for them to run. The also have a kids scavenger hunt.  Be warned, it is a big pricy. Lovely ice cream. 

Downtown there is lots to see and do for free. It’s a great walking city, with May markets. 

The Parkside Hotel & Spa -great for family’s. Lovely pool, the have nightly movies in the theatre room and you can book a 2 bedroom condo with kitchen facilities 

let me know if you need further ideas. 

• Like 1

As for Vancouver. 

science world is not to be missed with a 4&8 year old. 

also the Vancouver aquarium is within Stanley park. The park is free, often outdoor concerts going on, local artisans selling their wares. You can feed the ducks in the park, there’s an outdoor splash park and an outdoor pool. The beaches are really beautiful. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, A&L_Ont said:

Thought I’d let you know that’s a photo I put together, as a joke, for one of my live Alaska review.

Oh I realized that.  Just the thought of one of those monster ships,(which by the way I love in the Caribbean), makes me shudder.

7 minutes ago, mek said:

Oh I realized that.  Just the thought of one of those monster ships,(which by the way I love in the Caribbean), makes me shudder.

I have a feeling that if Oasis ever makes it there you will see even less of the real Alaska. 

1 hour ago, Rsrcruise said:

These suggestions are perfect, cruisinmomma!  They absolutely love museums, especially science ones!  Do you have any hotel suggestions for Victoria?

parkside hotel. I think I mentioned it above. It’s walking distance to all thr things I mentioned that are downtown Victoria. It’s kind of tucked away, so tends to be quiet. Lots of families. 

If the 'with kids' part is a priority, consider a post on the Family Cruising board too OP. Plus, TripAdvisor is generally a much better resource than here on CC for any city that has tourists arrive by means other than cruising - while cruisers do make a notable chunk of Victoria and even Vancouver tourists in season, they are far from the majority so a more general travel forum, with way more members, gives you access to a lot more opinions... including many suggested itineraries like '1/2/3 days in City X with kids' that may give you some solid ideas of logistics on combining multiple sites per day.

Though it does seem you got lucky with Cruisinmomma being a Victorian and helping you out above! I'd agree with everything listed for Vic by them, though I can't comment on the hotel (we like the BW+ Carlton Plaza on Johnson Street, which has 2 bed suites available though you may have to call rather than book online).

Given you have kids though, and frankly even if you didn't, I always advise NOT to visit Victoria from Vancouver unless you have Butchart on your bucket list and no foreseeable chance to return to this neck of the woods or at least a full week in the area. There is so much more to see and do here on the mainland, especially for kids! If you've already racked up multiple past visits to Vancouver then hitting Victoria this time makes sense - but given the hefty chunk of time that any cheap way of getting there takes up, at the very least you should factor in return flights home from YYJ to avoid having to make the same ferry ride twice. If you have plenty of cash to throw at the problem - enough for a ~$300pp round trip ride on a floatplane or chopper - the wasted time angle can be dealt with, but otherwise you're realistically looking at just shy of a 4 hour trip each way by ferry Van to Vic and vice versa. Distances up here are hefty - it's like going to Belgium when you end a vacation in London!

We even have better gardens over here than any part of Butchart - not that any component garden of Butchart is not very good, but the draw is the fact you have multiple very good gardens all in one place. Can you really see your 4 and 8 year old enjoying themselves for half a day while the grownups look at plants...? Aside from the carousel, they'd have to entertain themselves - or more likely distract you from the gardens while you entertain them! Whereas if you hit a few parks & gardens around Vancouver separately, you have things like pitch & putt courses, tiny trains, tree-walks, water parks (one even has a walk-through child dryer, so no need to schlep wet clothes and towels around afterward...), bikes to ride, beavers to watch and you can do something more kid-focused immediately before or after a park or garden visit that doesn't entice them. Even the shopping here has much better kid-friendly options - an entire kids' market on Granville Island, and you can sign the kids into the rooftop adventure zone 'jungle gym' while you shop.

There are also more afternoon tea choices in Vancouver - including a Fairmont one - that cost a fraction of the price of the Empress. They have jacked the price up in Victoria ridiculously, and it's never discounted - whereas as soon as cruise season ends you start seeing '2 for 1' offers or 'kids are free' in the Fairmont Vancouver. Sometimes they even use the rooftop for afternoon tea, so you get a pretty sweet view too.

Hmmm, not sure I agree with Martincath on a few points. 
 There  is a lot more to see in Victoria other than Butchard Gardens. (Rated best garden in Canada by Tripadvisor) 

Butchard is a great place for kids, in fact, it’s full of kids! 

I also wouldn’t agree that there is SO much more to see and do on the mainland. I think there are amazing sites to see in each city (I spent the first of my 20 years on the mainland and the past 20 in Victoria). 

Victoria can be accessed from Vancouver by a number of different methods. All have pros and cons. The ferry is a gorgeous 2 hour sailing from 2 different areas of Vancouver-Victoria. Often porpoises, and whales can be seen while sailing. You can either walk in the ferry, or drive. 

sea-planes  this is a uniques way to see both cities from the sky. It’s a 20 minute flight from downtown Vancouver-downtown Victoria. Fare run in the $100CAD range when booked in advance and often children are free. 

I don’t with to get into a dispute over which city is better- both are fantastic! I’m a proud British Columbians and love both cities.  

If you would like more information on either Ovation with kids,or either Victoria or Vancouver with kids, please don’t hesitate to reach out.