Hand luggage at Southampton cruise terminals

jh1809

Something that I haven't been able to find set out anywhere is whether what you can take through security in your hand luggage is the same as at airports or if the rules are less stringent. In particular, is there a volume limit on liquid containers and should liquid containers be placed a transparent plastic bag to go through the scanner? I've been wondering about this for years, and have always played safe by never putting any liquids in my hand luggage.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jh1809 said:

Something that I haven't been able to find set out anywhere is whether what you can take through security in your hand luggage is the same as at airports or if the rules are less stringent. In particular, is there a volume limit on liquid containers and should liquid containers be placed a transparent plastic bag to go through the scanner? I've been wondering about this for years, and have always played safe by never putting any liquids in my hand luggage.

I've never known there to be a restriction on liquids etc... in hand luggage. I always go through with all my makeup, liquid eye makeup remover, nail varnish, other toiletries, water, perfume etc... in my hand luggage just in case for any reason my luggage is delayed getting to the cabin (plus I pack far too much in my suitcase so space is limited!).

The only thing I know that will be flagged up are of course anything deemed dangerous and certain swiss army knives. 

3 minutes ago, margtee said:

And don't forget you can take liquids on in the form of wines, spirits etc - I think 1 bottle for each person 😊😊😊

I bottle, two bottles, three bottles, four bottles,  no one cares!

Forgive me sounding like a doom-monger but can I just say, please, please, please don’t encourage people to take on huge amounts of alcohol.  There used to be no written limits and people abused it (apparently - I never saw any evidence but I don’t do short cruises; potential “booze cruises”)

There’s now a 1 litre per person limit/guideline.  It’s not policed, so there is obvious scope to s-t-r-e-t-c-h it a bit.  
Stretch it too much and it will snap.  The policy will be policed and enforced.  There will be queues at security where contraband is identified and passengers invited to pay corkage or relinquish their bottles.  

It’s good that P&O are relaxed.  Don’t abuse it, please

26 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I agree eddie. That's why a restriction was put on in the first place. When we started cruising there wasn't a limit but now they take it off you at ports now as well

Depends on which port. If the scanning takes place dock side,  there is no further luggage screening when you go on board.

They let you take a pen knife as long as the blade is shorter that 4 inches but it must be scanned in with your hand luggage, found this out the hard way. Interestingly they measure the knife blade by comparing it to their security badge width.

20 hours ago, margtee said:

And don't forget you can take liquids on in the form of wines, spirits etc - I think 1 bottle for each person 😊😊😊

☺️

It's heavy stuff to lug about when joining the ship, though. I'm not a heavy drinker, and P&O's drinks prices are reasonable, so I don't bother.