Helipad sailaways

CruiserN1

3 minutes ago, CruiserN1 said:

Wondering if these happen at every port and how long the party lasts. We're booked in a cabin that looks out at the helipad on Equinox and just want to know how much we will be disturbed by a party outside our window. 

Usually one or two per cruise, they don’t last long and are not ‘loud’, simply a glass of fizzy and some picture taking. Usually about 4pm. We have been to an odd ‘sail in’ party too, early morning (7am)...

The area just below the helipad deck is a crew outside relaxation area, again unlikely to be noisy I would think.

Have you checked your room number on the room review thread to look for reports of noise?

We've had one of those cabins.  When we noticed the sail in event, we went in the hallway and were invited by staff to join in.  The event itself was very subdued with mostly picture taking.  Quieter than being out by the pool areas. 

Hope it works out to your liking.

we have been to several.  It is definitely not a party.  Just some small drinks and a lot of people taking pictures.  Not noisy at all, except maybe if you are trying to nap. Sometimes the people heading to the helipad dont realize that they are loud when passing guests rooms.

Thanks everyone for the replies. The reviews I've read of the cabin say it is generally quiet. But then I read about people being invited to the helipad for sailaway and wondered about hearing a party on the other side of the window. Sounds like it isn't anything to worry about. Cruise Critic is the best!

2 hours ago, CruiserN1 said:

Thanks everyone for the replies. The reviews I've read of the cabin say it is generally quiet. But then I read about people being invited to the helipad for sailaway and wondered about hearing a party on the other side of the window. Sounds like it isn't anything to worry about. Cruise Critic is the best!

Yes, there is really nothing to worry about.  We've been to several and we've never ever seen a rowdy crowd .... mostly just mingling with other guests and officers as well as some picture taking and a glass of bubbly (hot chocolate up in Alaska).   We've been for sail away from our embarkation port as well as from other ports of call and once during the day we visited the glacier while up in Alaska.  Just in case you receive an invite, be sure you have a pair of closed toed shoes otherwise, you won't be able to attend.  You go up a utility staircase and through a hatch to get to the helipad ... they  just don't want you to get caught up in anything.  We noticed people in those oceanview cabins when they were right up close to the window ... those cabins have a great view.  If my DH was willing to ride way up  front, we would probably book one sometime.  Bon voyage ... have a great cruise.  

We are also usually invited and go most of the time.   They do not do it in every port and even if invited it is possible for it to be cancelled due to weather or rough seas.     It is spectacular in some ports. My favorite of all time was sailing into Manhattan on a TA.   The Captain came in really close to the Statue or Liberty and the city is beautiful. 

Forward of the bridge just above the crew deck recreation space.  Not very scientific - but it is right at the front on the flat space above the pointy nose.  Where - unsurprisngly - you would hover a rescue heli to do an energency lift.  Although it says pad they rarely physically land a Heli there because of the impact of the extra weight on the nose of the vessel.

17 hours ago, CruiserN1 said:

Wondering if these happen at every port and how long the party lasts. We're booked in a cabin that looks out at the helipad on Equinox and just want to know how much we will be disturbed by a party outside our window. 

The sail away is only usually a couple times a cruise and last for 30-45 minutes.

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckpictures/119/reg/CelCon-55192-1565106394.jpg

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckpictures/119/reg/CelCon-57559-1565106341.jpg

Edited by Jim_Iain

This is our most favourite place on the ship. We wish it was open and available for every port. We were recently disappointed when we didn’t get an invite as Elite Plus we figured we were a shoe in....( on Summit) 

but they invited b2b guests, concierge and suites only. ( probably newbies and aqua too )

The Captain  Club host said its not a perk.....and they are limited on when it’s available for them to offer it.

brockmom

19 minutes ago, brockmom said:

We were recently disappointed when we didn’t get an invite as Elite Plus we figured we were a shoe in...

While Elite Plus status in Captain's Club is certainly indicative of significant loyalty, it is not uncommon for there to be several hundred Elite Plus members aboard...  From a loyalty perspective, Zenith members [some cruises have none, some have a handful or two with fingers left over, Transatlantic cruises can have twice that number] still tend to be invited if a Helipad Sail-Away is held but, again, it is not a perk...  

On 2/23/2020 at 12:08 AM, CruiserN1 said:

OP - No worries for you.  This is a very short event.  About 30 minutes after we left the dock we were ushered off the helipad.  No music...the CD did make a welcome announcement but I don't even remember if he had microphone.  

It was just drinks and a "quiet mingle"

Once the ship leaves the harbor/port and starts to pick up speed guests are asked to leave the helipad. On an especially beautiful calm evening leaving Bermuda a small group lingered longer than usual. Someone finally came over to us and said the Captain kindly asks that you leave the helipad now. We all looked up, waved and hurried off. It's certainly not a "party"... if you hear anything it will be the guests coming and going through the hallways before and after.

11 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

They have a small one on Edge/Apex but do not have sail away from them.    It is more of a drop zone and designed to airlift using a basket and not land.

OK, thanks! I will immediately cease looking forward to it! (There is plenty more to be excited about).

I think we will try to sailaway from the deck outside the SEA spa (we are AQ) if everyone else doesn't have the same idea.

I wondered, because when we were on Century many moons ago (2008) someone was airlifted and the helicopter never landed but hovered above the upper pool deck. We were in the last SS before the deck so I got great shots.

Starting to lift.jpg

Edited by GRBlizz

Incredible picture -

We were once on a Ferry from Ireland to Wales and the British Military decided to do a a terrorist drill.   Helicopters hovered above and military boarded sliding down lines.  It was exciting to watch, but surprised they would do it on a ship with passengers.

• Like 1