Conav 19 in Italy ....what happens to ships heading there soon for summer cruises

Minoushka

There won't be any replacement ports. If the concensus in the near future will still be that Conav is treated differently than the common flu the cruise season in europe is over before it began. The idea that it can be contained is very very optimistic. Imho just something we have to live with and we should continue like usual.

Lots of people here with common cold and flu like symptoms without going into panic mode or getting tested. Just treating it like every winter. That is probably the reason why there are always suddenly these extreme spikes when they start to actually test all contacts. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CruiseMH said:

Well,there are Cadiz,Malaga,Valencia,Barcelona,Palma, Mahon(Menorca) and the canary islands on the way...so there would be a lot of options.And maybe two days in Barcelona would also be an option.

Those are the Spain ports and we are going to the Azores. I thought about Gilbrator but that would throw the itinerary off course. An overnight in Barcelona would be wonderful . 

18 hours ago, pamrose228 said:

Im on the Escape TA April 18. Last two ports are Florence and Rome. We already have 2 Portugal ports 4 Spanish ones and one French. Where else can they divert us?

praying by End March this will be under control. 

We are on the Escape May 3rd out of Rome, I am assuming that is where you disembark.  I guess we will know before you start your TA if the Rome port will be changed.  

3 hours ago, pamrose228 said:

I took an insurance policy with Alliance not with NCL. Would this be cancel for any reason?

No one can answer this because we don’t know the terms of your policy. You’ll need to read your policy. (Always good to do before you buy, so you know whether it covers what you want.)

On 2/24/2020 at 9:05 AM, Minoushka said:

This crazy virus seems to have taken over Italy now .If transat ships were to head that way could they be refused  access arriving in ports ...where would they go ?most ships are leaving North America in early to mid March ...What is plan B ??

i would not want to be pax on any transat this Spring ...I.m still debating keepingmy transat cruise in fall ......my only saving grace I have till August to cancel ....hmmmmm
if pax choose to cancel will they lose all $$$ ??

wow cruising is going to get a big hit .....

Good reading at world o meter .Com experts opinion.

The Princess ship is a statistic as if a country. 4 had passed away. 70 plus still critical. Europe Italy in particular and South Korea and now Japan have canceled many events. We just got off the bliss and our adult kids were very concerned about us.
Supposed to do Bermuda in May and Europe this fall but now just wondering what the future will bring.  

Hopefully containment.

Praying for a cure or vaccine.

5 hours ago, pamrose228 said:

Apparently COVAC 19 does not thrive well in hotter climates. Thus no reported cases in South American Africa and Australia (I think one was unconfirmed). But I still am stressing about the Escape TA in 7 weeks.

After debarking we have 4 days in Rome. 

I took an insurance policy with Alliance not with NCL. Would this be cancel for any reason?

As for airfare if there are restrictions on folks entering USA from Italy wouldn’t flights be reimbursed?

There is no evidence of the virus not thriving well in hotter climates. Please do not spread unsubstantiated remarks.

Here is what I have learned in the past month:

1. Many countries are not honest (China.)

2. Some positive corona virus patients have no symptoms. I just watched an active patient in a Japan hospital and she said she had felt great.

3. Those who are older and medically compromised are at more risk and should not be cruising. A ladeeda attitude isn't admirable during a near pandemic and puts you and others at risk.

4. Many countries will likely begin to make bad health decisions as their economies falter. China stated they will soon attempt to go back to normal. 

5. Despite what you think of Trump, he made the right decision to close our borders to affected countries and to place trade restrictions on China. Europe is far more impacted by future shortages than the US.

6. Many passengers have incredibly poor hygiene practices (I just got off a two week MSC cruise.)

7. Many falsehoods are floating around as fact: it now seems the original thinking that the virus only lasts 14_days is incorrect and the idea that the virus can't survive in warm climates hasn't been proven. There is a lot the medical community has to learn.

8. All the "be more worried about the flu" comments trivialize the problem. This coronavirus appears to be distinctive and we shouldn't generalize. I have heard the statistics about the flu so no need to sermonize. We don't need your justification if you choose to travel. 

9. Be grateful we live in the USA and don't allow politicians to muck up the administration's efforts. The CDC isn't political. Listen to the experts. No spin, as much as possible.

10. I am content to not travel for a while and am grateful I have had many wonderful years of travel. Use common sense and wisdom.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pamrose228 said:

Apparently COVAC 19 does not thrive well in hotter climates. Thus no reported cases in South American Africa and Australia (I think one was unconfirmed). But I still am stressing about the Escape TA in 7 weeks.

As for airfare if there are restrictions on folks entering USA from Italy wouldn’t flights be reimbursed?

Singapore and Thailand are tropical and there are lot of cases.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pamrose228 said:

You might want to check the climates of some of the countries currently hit by the virus.

Not to mention Australia has had 22 confirmed cases so far.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

46 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

10. I am content to not travel for a while and am grateful I have had many wonderful years of travel. Use common sense and wisdom.

You don’t have to travel far. WBNS is reporting a 7th COVID-19 case in Ohio being monitored since the person has a respiratory infection and are  are high risk (were in China or had contact with a COVID-19 patient). 

54 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

Here is what I have learned in the past month:

1. Many countries are not honest (China.)

2. Some positive corona virus patients have no symptoms. I just watched an active patient in a Japan hospital and she said she had felt great.

3. Those who are older and medically compromised are at more risk and should not be cruising. A ladeeda attitude isn't admirable during a near pandemic and puts you and others at risk.

4. Many countries will likely begin to make bad health decisions as their economies falter. China stated they will soon attempt to go back to normal. 

5. Despite what you think of Trump, he made the right decision to close our borders to affected countries and to place trade restrictions on China. Europe is far more impacted by future shortages than the US.

6. Many passengers have incredibly poor hygiene practices (I just got off a two week MSC cruise.)

7. Many falsehoods are floating around as fact: it now seems the original thinking that the virus only lasts 14_days is incorrect and the idea that the virus can't survive in warm climates hasn't been proven. There is a lot the medical community has to learn.

8. All the "be more worried about the flu" comments trivialize the problem. This coronavirus appears to be distinctive and we shouldn't generalize. I have heard the statistics about the flu so no need to sermonize. We don't need your justification if you choose to travel. 

9. Be grateful we live in the USA and don't allow politicians to muck up the administration's efforts. The CDC isn't political. Listen to the experts. No spin, as much as possible.

I agree with #8 , what a lot of people don't understand is we know the flu & what it can do, we don't know what this virus is capable of doing and whether or not it can mutate into something else. Coronaviruses are dangerous because they jump from animals to people so they are unpredictable. Not to mention we are being lied to all over the place by communist China who doesn't give a rip about its own people, do you really think they give a rip about the rest of the world?

Edited by Pattyd227
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

No one can answer this because we don’t know the terms of your policy. You’ll need to read your policy. (Always good to do before you buy, so you know whether it covers what you want.)

Are you on a TA?   We are in April with Barb to Spain!   Hoping for the best!  No much we can do about it now!   

10 hours ago, GA Dave said:

The shortest time it ever took to produce vaccines for a new strain of coronavirus/flu illnesses was three years.  The article I read last night that included an interview with an official from the CDC was they were hoping to have something for this one in half that time (18 months).  I really do not think it is possible to get something before late 2021.

They already have a vaccine.  They hope to start clinical trials in early April.   https://www.wsj.com/articles/drugmaker-moderna-delivers-first-coronavirus-vaccine-for-human-testing-11582579099

8 hours ago, CruiseMH said:

Well,there are Cadiz,Malaga,Valencia,Barcelona,Palma, Mahon(Menorca) and the canary islands on the way...so there would be a lot of options.And maybe two days in Barcelona would also be an option.

That's what I would assume too.  There are also numerous ports in the south of France.  Even wonder if Tangiers or Casablanca might be considered.  Any port in a storm, as they say.

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

You don’t have to travel far. WBNS is reporting a 7th COVID-19 case in Ohio being monitored since the person has a respiratory infection and are  are high risk (were in China or had contact with a COVID-19 patient). 

No one in Ohio has tested positive for COVID19. The first six were all cleared, 7th is being monitored.

https://abc6onyourside.com/news/local/ohio-department-of-health-investigating-one-person-possibly-exposed-to-new-coronavirus

23 hours ago, casofilia said:

What is in effect at the moment is "against" anyone who has had anything to do with China, including Hong Kong and Macau, in the last 14 days.   Will that be applied in the same way to Italy: NO Italians and no-one that has been to, passed through or was in transit through Italy?

Who'd be an employee of a cruise line at the moment?

RCL have already added the north of Italy to their list for barring you going on the ship.

We cruise out of Rome on Getaway in May, I'm not confident this cruise will go ahead sadly. 

10 hours ago, pamrose228 said:

The only cases here in Australia are those that came off the Diamond Princess & a few that have now recoverd that came in from China before the boarder was closed to them.

13 hours ago, Tutontow said:

They already have a vaccine.  They hope to start clinical trials in early April.   https://www.wsj.com/articles/drugmaker-moderna-delivers-first-coronavirus-vaccine-for-human-testing-11582579099

We are talking at least 18 months out, trials need to begin for safety and effectiveness. I wouldn't put all your eggs in that basket though, don't expect it to be more effective then the current flu vaccine (not very effective).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KarimaJ said:

We are talking at least 18 months out, trials need to begin for safety and effectiveness. I wouldn't put all your eggs in that basket though, don't expect it to be more effective then the current flu vaccine (not very effective).

Keep in mind that the flu vaccine for the US is a best guess of what the CDC thinks will be the 4 most virulent strains and that happens 6 to 9 months before flu season starts. That is why the flu vaccine is not always as effective some years as others. 

The conav-19 is specific so I would expect it's development cycle to be shorter, but I am not an expert in that field.