June sailing on Apex, should we be worried?

snobunny

We booked the Apex for June sailing from Barcelona to Rome.  Final payment is due in 2 week. With the current Coronavisus epidemic, we are torn between cancelling it or just keep the plan and hope for the best.

What do you think we should do?  We booked ChoiceAir too so everything is due by March 8.

We really don’t have enough information to give you any meaningful advice. Are you elderly? Do you have any underlying health conditions? Are you immunocompromised?  Let’s start with those questions. If the answer to one or more is yes, then you might think twice about traveling. After all, you are going during the height of flu season. Many more people have died from flu then from COVID. Have you had your flu shot?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Heard on the news this morning that Northern Italy is reporting the greatest number of CV patients outside of China with more and more cases reported each day.  It's a tough call because of the things @cruisestitch pointed out as it relates to your personal circumstance.  I suggest a wait and see tactic right up to the moment that you have to make final payment.  For me, I think we would have to seriously reconsider, not because we fear getting sick, but because we fear a possible quarantine or delay in getting back home as planned.

I would keep with your plans.    A couple things in advance may help.   Call Choice Air and find out about the fees to cancel your flight after final payment and possibly change to a refundable fare (even if a bit more expensive).   For hotel make a refundable booking and switch to non-refundable if cheaper  48 hours prior to arrival.  

If the cruise were to be cancelled or re-routed Celebrity will probably offer a full refund or future cruise credit.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

We really don’t have enough information to give you any meaningful advice. Are you elderly? Do you have any underlying health conditions? Are you immunocompromised?  Let’s start with those questions. If the answer to one or more is yes, then you might think twice about traveling. After all, you are going during the height of flu season. Many more people have died from flu then from COVID. Have you had your flu shot?

We are in our late 40s and will be traveling with our 12-year-old daughter.  We're overall healthy but the recent news from Italy really worry me.  DH keeps saying it'll be ok by June.

5 minutes ago, snobunny said:

We are in our late 40s and will be traveling with our 12-year-old daughter.  We're overall healthy but the recent news from Italy really worry me.  DH keeps saying it'll be ok by June.

June does seem like enough time for this to be over but that may be wishful thinking seeing as how even the experts can't predict how long this issue will last.  I am hopeful that your DH is right.  Worst case, as @jim_lain suggested, if the cruise is cancelled, you'll get a refund.  Have you considered pushing this cruise itinerary back a year...maybe going next June instead?

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

1 hour ago, cruisestitch said:

My mistake in saying that you would be traveling during flu season. Usually the flu is over by June. If coronavirus behaves the same way, numbers should diminish by then as well.

We are in extended  flu season  here in NY.. Entire family had it, incl toddlers, adults, preg dtr  and srs.  ( and we had the  enhanced sr  flu shot).   

I'd decide just before final payment but 2 weeks is really  not enough time  to  speculate  about June, based on what is going on right now.   No one knows if  Corona spread will stabilize or peter out.

Can you move to a later date?

We are limiting air flights right now and happy our next cruise  leaves from Cape Liberty in May....a 2 hr drive from home. We have dbl cruise insurance including med evac and are  happy to be close to home.

Only you can decide to take the chance in hopes all will go well! 

With the current update from Celebrity regarding Venice and Lombardy I would wait until say March 6th. If things are the same or worse I would cancel. Seems likely this will spread.

The CDC this morning stated, However, it’s important to note that current global circumstances suggest it is likely that this virus will cause a pandemic."

2 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

June does seem like enough time for this to be over but that may be wishful thinking seeing as how even the experts can't predict how long this issue will last.  I am hopeful that your DH is right.  Worst case, as @jim_lain suggested, if the cruise is cancelled, you'll get a refund.  Have you considered pushing this cruise itinerary back a year...maybe going next June instead?

I'm making final payment this weekend for my May Apex sailing out of Rome. If Celebrity cancels we would either be reimbursed or receive a FCC. As far as flights and hotels I would be reimbursed up to $5000 per family through my CC provider. It's also possible Celebrity could modify the itinerary like they have done for the Constellation sailings. 

• Like 1

In view of the recently posted   Celeb trvl  advisory, seems like this is the best plan... Good prices  for later  dates are  still out there....why look for stress!

Maybe try APEX to the Caribbean instead. We're booked for November 2020 

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

My mistake in saying that you would be traveling during flu season. Usually the flu is over by June. If coronavirus behaves the same way, numbers should diminish by then as well.

Good point! We are booked on the same itinerary and ship for June 20.  I’m not really concerned.

• Like 1

Our final payment originally is due this weekend but it's now pushed back for another 30 days after a quick call to our vacation planner at Celebrity.  Now we have more time to wait and see if the situation will get better before we make our final decision!