First time out of NYC and need advice please!

prbffd28

Hi All, we (honeymoon trip) are booked for November 1 on Encore to Bermuda out of NYC (first time for both NYC and Bermuda) and trying to decide if flying in the day of or day prior is best coming from Portland, Maine. The flight is only a bit over an hour so I'm leaning at the day of to save $$ but would also like to see some of the city if a hotel close to the pier is affordable, like between $200 and $300??

Any thoughts, suggestions, advice would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Some good questions. Suggest flying the day before the departure as too many things can go wrong leaving it to the departure day. In Manhattan (I assume leaving out of the Manhattan Cruise port) there are many hotel choices. No need to limit the search to proximity to the port as taxis (Uber) are available and Manhattan is an island. 

Edited by Noxequifans

1 hour ago, prbffd28 said:

Hi All, we (honeymoon trip) are booked for November 1 on Encore to Bermuda out of NYC (first time for both NYC and Bermuda) and trying to decide if flying in the day of or day prior is best coming from Portland, Maine. The flight is only a bit over an hour so I'm leaning at the day of to save $$ but would also like to see some of the city if a hotel close to the pier is affordable, like between $200 and $300??

Any thoughts, suggestions, advice would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Since you would like to see the city regardless, I would fly the day prior. 

While I understand everyone's caution about not flying day of, in your situation it isn't as risky as some.  It looks like a 5 hour drive from the airport, so if your flight was delayed or cancelled you could still likely drive to the port and wouldn't miss your cruise.  It isn't how I'd want to start my Honeymoon vacation 😉 but I do think there are circumstances where arriving morning of the cruise isn't totally crazy.

Congratulations ❤️ 

I’d probably try to come the day before. I’m assuming you’re looking at flights into LGA?

As others have said, you don’t have to be near the pier. There are probably a hundred or more hotels at all price points in Midtown. You can do the zoo that is Times Square, or go somewhere quieter. Price can be a matter of luck, and can change, sometimes up, but often down, as you get closer. 

is there anything you definitely want to see or do in Manhattan?

Thanks so much to all of you for the prompt responses. I have to provide an update though, due to a scheduling issue I called CAS line today to see if I could change our trip to the week before, October 25, instead. The gentleman I spoke with was very accomodating but told me I couldn't get the same cabin I had originally booked, 11854. So I asked about the possibility of the same location on another deck, he put me on hold, came back with "I found 10856, will that work?" I said perfect, that is the cabin we were just in on our Feb 9 cruise!!! Just thought I would share another great experience with CAS team. Not all have been great but the majority have been.

Based on the responses I will start looking for hotels to fly in pre cruise, I would love to visit the WTC Memorial site, as a firefighter (31 years) this would make the trip for sure. Maybe I'll look into a day after the cruise too make it all worthwhile!!

Thanks again and keep the advice coming, I'll take it all in!!

Which airport would you fly into?  How much are the flights?

Did you price driving down, staying an hour outside the city in Greenwich/ Stamford where you can get hotels under $150 (suggestions can be supplied). Parking at the port would be $280.  Transportation from the airport would be $50+ Each way depending on which airport.

Your hotel date is Halloween, so hotels in NYC are expensive.

1 hour ago, prbffd28 said:

Thanks so much to all of you for the prompt responses. I have to provide an update though, due to a scheduling issue I called CAS line today to see if I could change our trip to the week before, October 25, instead. The gentleman I spoke with was very accomodating but told me I couldn't get the same cabin I had originally booked, 11854. So I asked about the possibility of the same location on another deck, he put me on hold, came back with "I found 10856, will that work?" I said perfect, that is the cabin we were just in on our Feb 9 cruise!!! Just thought I would share another great experience with CAS team. Not all have been great but the majority have been.

Based on the responses I will start looking for hotels to fly in pre cruise, I would love to visit the WTC Memorial site, as a firefighter (31 years) this would make the trip for sure. Maybe I'll look into a day after the cruise too make it all worthwhile!!

Thanks again and keep the advice coming, I'll take it all in!!

If you're coming in on Saturday and primarily want to see the WTC Memorial (and I'd add the museum as well), look for hotels in the Financial District. They're historically a better deal on the weekend. A further drive from the airport (which airport?????), but give you options. 

There is also a New York Fire Museum, should it interest you. Info here.

It's a pretty easy subway ride to Midtown from the WTC area, but there's a lot to see down there, including Battery Park, the Canyon of Heroes, Wall Street, Trinity Church, Brooklyn Bridge, etc. You can make an easy day of it if you choose to.

1 hour ago, markeb said:

If you're coming in on Saturday and primarily want to see the WTC Memorial (and I'd add the museum as well), look for hotels in the Financial District. They're historically a better deal on the weekend. A further drive from the airport (which airport?????), but give you options. 

There is also a New York Fire Museum, should it interest you. Info here.

It's a pretty easy subway ride to Midtown from the WTC area, but there's a lot to see down there, including Battery Park, the Canyon of Heroes, Wall Street, Trinity Church, Brooklyn Bridge, etc. You can make an easy day of it if you choose to.

Excellent information, I appreciate it!! I'm planning on LGA but not really sure where that puts me since it will be our first time there. I would certainly like to fly in early enough so we can make a day of it just not sure what we can do with our luggage before hotel check in time. I'll have to look into that a bit more.

Thanks again!!

4 minutes ago, prbffd28 said:

Excellent information, I appreciate it!! I'm planning on LGA but not really sure where that puts me since it will be our first time there. I would certainly like to fly in early enough so we can make a day of it just not sure what we can do with our luggage before hotel check in time. I'll have to look into that a bit more.

Thanks again!!

Hotels will store your luggage, go check in, your room most likely won’t be ready but the bellman will take your bags (tip).

Just a friendly reminder to shop & lock in those fully refundable hotel rates soon, then continue to check to see if lower rates are available.  

Based on OP's latest/revised itinerary dates - they will be disembarkating the ship at MCT on NYC's world famous Marathon Sunday, although the cruise pier isn't directly or near the runner's path - to get to (from) LGA or JFK - taxis and car services, buses, etc. will need to detour & it is going to take longer to get out to the airport on Sunday morning.   Just allow extra time on that return flight.  

We've sailed around Halloween & return twice on Marathon Sunday morning, going north up the West Side Hwy, across I-95 & then south I-87 or HRD to RFJ Bridge worked fine, maybe took an extra 5 minutes as most weekend drivers stay off the road & spectators used mass transit.  Taxi fares will be a little higher on the metered run.  Professional drivers all know about it and aren't going to anywhere near the East River crossing on that Sunday morning or afternoon for that matter.  

17 hours ago, prbffd28 said:

I would love to visit the WTC Memorial site,

Absolutely, 100%, worth it.  Plan for several hours to get through the entire place if you're going into the museum.  I spent 3 hours or so there and it wasn't enough.  I HIGHLY suggest ordering the tickets in advance (only needed for the museum, the ground-level memorial is free to wander), but also be aware that you select a time for your visit and they hold you fairly close to that time for entry so if you plan to visit shortly after landing and your plane is late you may miss out.

Right now Marriott is opening two new hotels in the financial district.  They are Residence Inn and Courtyard.  Since they are new; Marriott is offering some good rates.  I booked the Residence for my Oct pre cruise.  Good luck

Thank you for all your years of service!

We always stay in the Financial District and love it down there.  We stay at the Hilton Garden Inn and get a water view room. There is a fabulous view of the Staten Island Ferry and the river.

After your visit to the 9/11 Memorial, you could walk across the street (on Greenwich) and see the FDNY Memorial Wall.  There is also O’Hara’s right there,  if you want to stop and grab a bite and take a look at the scenery in there. They have patches that have been given to them from police and firemen from all over the world.  They also have  a 9/11 book that is very interesting to see.

Edited by jennmaybe

We fly in 2 days before and do the hop on hop off bus tour.  Excellent and fun. You even

do a boat tour on it that takes you close to the Statue of Liberty 

Loved it cause you can get off wherever you want and hop back on 

4162350D-D4DE-4321-9EA0-9CCA4C3D8CB4.jpeg

Edited by LaCal

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2020 at 4:47 PM, AF-1 said:

jennymaybe,  have you been to Joe's pizza down there?

AF-1:  I'm so sorry!  I completely forgot about checking this board!

We have not...the one on Fulton Street?  Is it yummy??  There are so many places to eat at in NYC....oh, where to eat at next!  😋

We have our next trip planned for next month.  We are really hoping we can still go up!  

On 3/1/2020 at 10:07 PM, LaCal said:

We fly in 2 days before and do the hop on hop off bus tour.  Excellent and fun. You even

do a boat tour on it that takes you close to the Statue of Liberty 

Loved it cause you can get off wherever you want and hop back on 

4162350D-D4DE-4321-9EA0-9CCA4C3D8CB4.jpeg

So do you have to go to a bus stop or can you flag it down anywhere on the street?

20 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Yes that is the one.  We booked a Marriott property a few blocks from Joe's;  

I think I'll add that as one of our eating places next month.  Thanks for the recommendation! 🙂

4 hours ago, AF-1 said:

So do you have to go to a bus stop or can you flag it down anywhere on the street?

HOHOs in NYC are tough to do the O parts of.  They are so busy that if you hop off, you may have to wait for 2 or 3 or more following buses to find one to hop back onto.  Traffic slows them down so much they are worthless as transportation.

Getting on one in Times Square and taking the entire loop to get an overview of the city is ok (of course it could be broiling hot or freezing cold or pouring up on top), but beyond that they aren't very effective means of touring