Just off Riviera today

Baz-t

Disembarked Riviera today after 12day Caribbean cruise. Hadn’t been on Oceania for 18 months so interested to assess the standards. The answer is overwhelmingly simple. Riviera is all round brilliant. Food was top notch and the service and staff were extremely professional and attentive. Really enjoyed the cruise and look forward to boarding again in August.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Us too!  We did back to back, and disembarked today after 22 nights.  After some early issues with pool deck chair management, the entire experience was wonderful!  Outstanding food and crew.  We enjoyed spa services instead of booking tours (did our own in a few ports).  Don’t over order in Jacques or Polo, as the food is “heavier” than Toscana or Red Ginger (our favorite).  We ate lunch often in the MDR, or at Waves Grill.  Both have excellent menus.  On sea days, get to the pool deck by 0800 to secure deck chairs.  Be aware of the great Happy Hour in all bars, where common drinks are BOGO.  So for example, two simple martinis are $10 total plus gratuity.  We do wish there was more Oceania swag to buy, like small keychains or Christmas tree ornaments.  If you do walk off (where you carry all your luggage yourself), you can leave at 0800 and avoid delays at passport check.  We were off and at the curb getting our ride in maybe 10 minutes total. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, don731 said:

Us too!  We did back to back, and disembarked today after 22 nights.  After some early issues with pool deck chair management, the entire experience was wonderful!  Outstanding food and crew.  We enjoyed spa services instead of booking tours (did our own in a few ports).  Don’t over order in Jacques or Polo, as the food is “heavier” than Toscana or Red Ginger (our favorite).  We ate lunch often in the MDR, or at Waves Grill.  Both have excellent menus.  On sea days, get to the pool deck by 0800 to secure deck chairs.  Be aware of the great Happy Hour in all bars, where common drinks are BOGO.  So for example, two simple martinis are $10 total plus gratuity.  We do wish there was more Oceania swag to buy, like small keychains or Christmas tree ornaments.  If you do walk off (where you carry all your luggage yourself), you can leave at 0800 and avoid delays at passport check.  We were off and at the curb getting our ride in maybe 10 minutes total. 

Thanks so much for the advice!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, clo said:

And you stayed in them for how long after 8?

All day til about 4pm.  They let you leave for about 30-45 minutes for lunch, or to be in the pool.  They put a sign on the chair at either the top or bottom of the hour, stating that if no one returns by the next half hour, your stuff gets moved to a table.  On the first cruise, some entitled people came up at 0700 and “reserved” up to 8 chairs with no one showing up for hours.  Many complaints put an end to that.  Much better situation on the second cruise.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, don731 said:

All day til about 4pm.

Holey moley 🙂 To show you what we think of the sun and heat let me tell you that when we had our condo in Rio we stopped taking bathing suits with us 🙂

8 minutes ago, clo said:

Holey moley 🙂 To show you what we think of the sun and heat let me tell you that when we had our condo in Rio we stopped taking bathing suits with us 🙂

We were in the shade with forays to the pool. 😀.  Great place to read a book, have lunch, and people watch! 😀😀😀

34 minutes ago, clo said:

one way of looking at this is that this is too much information!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mura said:

I suspect they weren't skipping attire but still going to the beach ...

Although, when we were in Rio in 1974 Howard's eyes popped out at the first string bikinis we'd seen ...

LOL. We would go to the beach, sit beside it on the wonderful black and white pavers, under an umbrella.

I've heard they're called "floss."

Now we know what truly happened to poor Howard’s eyesight! 😅

Suffered sunburn on the tongue myself!! I well remember those naturalistic beaches years ago in Southern France on the Med!🍷😂😂!

Edited by pinotlover

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

To the OP, Glad you had a great cruise . I believe 14 day and shorter cruises on their O Class ships is where Oceania really shines and excels above the competition. 🍷

What happens on Day 15?

3 hours ago, LAexNY said:

What happens on Day 15?

Demographics can start to change rapidly. For many not yet in retirement 2 weeks is often the max they can take off at a time.

My TA will tell you that she prefers putting first time Oceania cruisers on 2 week or less cruises, even highly seasoned ones. What she hates to hear from the first timers after their return is “ Great ship, great food, great service, in 15 years when we’re either as old or act as old as most aboard we’ll try them again “. She knows she’ll never break that first impression. Keep them on shorter cruises for a couple times until they’re sold on the product. 

4 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Great ship, great food, great service, in 15 years when we’re either as old or act as old as most aboard we’ll try them again

They will get that old only if they are lucky - unfortunately not everyone gets to.

Wife and I were on the same cruise (Riviera Feb 14-26).  We flew in the day prior and stayed at the Marriott Biscayne Bay.  Hotel was crowded due to yacht show, but the location is nice.  Left hotel about 1pm and boarded about 1:30 - rooms were ready upon embarcation.

We are about 50, and love to eat.  This was our second Oceania cruise (we did the Riviera about a year ago in the Caribbean.)  We have cruised about 15 times on Celebrity, Seaborne, and Crystal.  

We were in a B3 Veranda on deck 7 that had the extended balcony with 2 lounge chairs plus 2 chairs and a table.  We loved having the extra large balcony, and spent a great deal of time there.  Room was fine, plenty of room, storage, generally good condition, fairly quiet, kept clean and comfortable temperature.

We eat lunch at Waves grill or the buffet, and dinner at the buffet or specialty restaurants.  We did not use the MDR one time (on either cruise.)  We like variety and quality, and Oceania has both.  The specialty meals were very good to excellent (Red Ginger and Jacques were our favorite.)  The buffet had great salads and seafood, and the best pizza.  There were some misses but overall very good.  My only complaint at the buffet was that the Asian/Indian foods should have had more spice, but I get it that they are geared towards the meek.

Service was better this cruise than our last on Riviera (crew was more outgoing/friendly.)  The ship is beautiful (incredible artwork), and well maintained.  

Nice gym (we used it every day).  My wife said the sauna/steam room was ok - not hot enough for her.

We missed all the shows but listened to a music a few times.  The music is a bit dated for our tastes, but it was fine.  

We just relaxed, ate, watched movies, and had a few drinks.  Overall a very nice cruise.  No major complaints and will be back on Oceania in the future.  Since food is a primary concern, we will stick to the larger ships as they have the 4 specialty dining venues.

• Like 4

Nachosdelux;

A question for you that is only one of opinion. We too have found the food in the Terrace to often be bland and as you said “ for the meek”. With the large selection of food available on the Buffet do you believe all dishes should/must be for the meek? Perhaps shouldn’t certain dishes come with authentic herbs and spices with a warning to the meek to avoid?