Lunch in the Main Dining Room

Taters

I've been reading recent Eurodam reviews and a couple of people stated that lunch is no longer available in the main dining room, even on days at sea.  Is this true?  My last HAL cruise was almost a year ago and lunch was always available in the MDR on sea days.  Has it changed?

Thanks!

22 minutes ago, Taters said:

I've been reading recent Eurodam reviews and a couple of people stated that lunch is no longer available in the main dining room, even on days at sea.  Is this true?  My last HAL cruise was almost a year ago and lunch was always available in the MDR on sea days.  Has it changed?

Thanks!

We were on the Eurodam last December, and lunch was served in the MDR every sea day.  One day was the Mariner lunch.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cruiserchuck said:

We were on the Eurodam last December, and lunch was served in the MDR every sea day.  One day was the Mariner lunch.

That was my experience in January.  Sometimes, the MDR Lunch Menu and preparation of the food is better than Dinner.

• Like 1

We were on the Nieuw Statendam in January and were able to have lunch in the main dining room several times over the 2 weeks we were onboard.  Port days, though, often saw the dining room closed at lunch.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 1

Thanks to those who have answered my question.

I do realize that sometimes folks, especially new cruisers, do not pay attention to the times listed for the various dining venues.  This may have been the case in the reviews that I read.  I am SO GLAD that to hear the MDR is open for business as usual during lunchtime.  A lot of mornings we skip breakfast in anticipation of a great lunch in a Holland America main dining room.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Taters said:

Thanks to those who have answered my question.

I do realize that sometimes folks, especially new cruisers, do not pay attention to the times listed for the various dining venues.  This may have been the case in the reviews that I read.  I am SO GLAD that to hear the MDR is open for business as usual during lunchtime.  A lot of mornings we skip breakfast in anticipation of a great lunch in a Holland America main dining room.

The hours are fairly short, and maybe they were not prior HAL cruisers, and could not go to the MDR the day of the Mariners lunch.

• Like 1

Lunch was definitely open when we were on our last sailing.

Hours are short as stated but they are published.  As long as someone reads and pays attention there should be no problem. I’m guessing those that wrote reviews didn’t do so?  Just my best guess.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

OP may have been reading OLD reports.

When we were on the Eurodam in 2015, the dining room was closed every day except Embarkation day.  Very disappointing.

The reviews I read were from last summer's Alaska season.  I sure hope it's not like this.

On 2/27/2020 at 9:45 AM, Taters said:

The reviews I read were from last summer's Alaska season.  I sure hope it's not like this.

We were on the Oosterdam last June in Alaska and lunch was served every day in the MDR except maybe once (maybe, don't remember exactly).  We love eating lunch in the MDR.  Best lunch was the fish and chips day.  The dining room was packed that day.

• Like 1

6 weeks Summer and Autumn in 2019 on the ms Rotterdam: embarkation day and sea days the MDR served lunch.

20 days Southeast Asia Highlights February/March 2019 m.s Maasdam: idem dito (english: idem ditto). 

(port days: we never lunch in the MDR and sometimes after returning from an excursion just a salad or comparable in the Lido.)