Have you brought your own cup?

okiegirl07

Normally when we cruise we buy the bottomless bubbles and a cup for everyone in our family. We use them on the ship and then normally end up throwing them in a cabinet and never touching them again. Has anyone brought their own cup with them? On my last cruise, I brought my reusable straw but I would rather bring our own cups (yeti or similar) to use as well.will they refill them at the bar when you order a soda like they do the carnival cups?  

We always bring our insulated travel mugs.  Use them for coffee in the mornings, then cold drinks in the afternoons.  We don't drink soda so I can't answer that part of your question.  If they don't, you could always just pour it into your cups.

When packing, put socks inside the cups.  That way, you're using all space available and the cups won't take up extra space.

If you use your cups for coffee, juice or water,  it is recommended that you use one of their cups then pour it into yours to prevent germs from spreading.

• Like 2

I always bring my Tervis for drinks and my Yeti for water.  My Tervis is a 16 oz (I purchased Red Frog and Blue Iguana ones and bring one or the other).  When I order a frozen drink, I give them my cup.  A normal drink in their cup is 12 oz (you always see leftover in the blender).  They fill my 16 oz to the top and I get charged the same as if I was purchasing a 12 oz.  I also bring my re-usable straws as well as my milkshake silicone straws.  I will especially remember them this year as I do not want a paper straw.  Those are the worst for people who really love using a straw.  I also have an over-the-shoulder holder for both of my cups (purchased at a craft fair).  Makes it really easy to carry them around.

Well we usually carry our Carnival Yeti knock-offs for our cruises.  I think with everything going on right now definitely would like to have my own cup just incase.  However we will be on Princess for our next cruise in May, lol.  

We saw people using their own cups at the ice and lemonade machines, so people definitely do bring them.  However, it did kinda gross me out a little watching them put a used cup up to the machine.   There isn't anything saying you can't use your own,  but there is a sign saying not to reuse a cup at the machine.  I'd pour from a clean cup into my own to prevent spreading sickness and for overall sanitary reasons.  

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, happylittlefamily said:

We saw people using their own cups at the ice and lemonade machines, so people definitely do bring them.  However, it did kinda gross me out a little watching them put a used cup up to the machine.   There isn't anything saying you can't use your own,  but there is a sign saying not to reuse a cup at the machine.  I'd pour from a clean cup into my own to prevent spreading sickness and for overall sanitary reasons.  

Yes definitely never put your own cup to the dispenser, your just contaminating the public fountain.  I've also witnessed that, even more reason to use a clean cup and fill it up and then pour into your own cup.  Some people just don't think sometimes, 😱

I bring my own and use it for coffee in the morning and soda/tea later.  When using the multi plex, I always fill a mug or cup with the drink and then pour it into my yeti.  It's great for mornings or afternoons when I am lounging on the ship or even when we go off of the ship to the beach.

41 minutes ago, 13cheermom said:

Yes definitely never put your own cup to the dispenser, your just contaminating the public fountain.  I've also witnessed that, even more reason to use a clean cup and fill it up and then pour into your own cup.  Some people just don't think sometimes, 😱

I agree.  However, think about these cups that have lids and people are using a straw.  If you take off the lid, then nothing you have put your mouth on is being held against the public fountain.  I've wondered because I see people using the cup they got from the stack and refilling it over and over again.  To me, that is worse that taking the lid off your cup and filling it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TerReuv said:

I agree.  However, think about these cups that have lids and people are using a straw.  If you take off the lid, then nothing you have put your mouth on is being held against the public fountain.  I've wondered because I see people using the cup they got from the stack and refilling it over and over again.  To me, that is worse that taking the lid off your cup and filling it. 

Yup. I've seen that too. Even with the signs that say 'don't refill your cup. Get a clean one.' Those people STILL do it. SMH. 😡

1 hour ago, happylittlefamily said:

It is unsanitary, but I definitely see it happening every day of every cruise. 

If you do it with a cup that has a straw, it's not nearly as bad. If you do it with a cup you put your mouth to, that is just wrong unless they are washing it in their room before using it (doubtful for most).  I do like your idea of using their cups to pour into your own, but that would also take several cups for the 32+ ounce containers people usually carry around.

We've brought our own cups on occasion.  It keeps us from having to get up so often to get more to drink.  The cups on board are just so small.  

I was thinking about what others were saying about refilling your cups at the dispenser.  Does no one ever refill their drinks at fast food restaurants?  You're refilling directly into the cup from the dispenser there.  While I've read these types of posts forever here, I guess having my Taco Bueno cup sitting here made me think of the fast food restaurant refill.  How is that any different?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, dmdiver said:

We've brought our own cups on occasion.  It keeps us from having to get up so often to get more to drink.  The cups on board are just so small.  

I was thinking about what others were saying about refilling your cups at the dispenser.  Does no one ever refill their drinks at fast food restaurants?  You're refilling directly into the cup from the dispenser there.  While I've read these types of posts forever here, I guess having my Taco Bueno cup sitting here made me think of the fast food restaurant refill.  How is that any different?

It's carnival cruise.you will never figure that one out.i always wondered the same. apparently Mickey D's is different.

5 hours ago, Jamesatgsu said:

I do like your idea of using their cups to pour into your own

Some of the ships have signs telling passengers to do just that, but not everyone sees the signage and there are those who do it anyway.

I'll follow their rule, but it's not completely necessary, in my opinion. When I refill my cup at a fast food place, for example, I'm not touching the mouth of my used cup to the spout where the drink is dispensed from. Only the side of my cup is touching, and it's only touching the dispensing lever. It's similar on the ship...my travel mug wouldn't touch the spout. But I can see why they don't want anyone doing it at all. Not everyone will take as much care as the rest of us.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

Some of the ships have signs telling passengers to do just that, but not everyone sees the signage and there are those who do it anyway.

I'll follow their rule, but it's not completely necessary, in my opinion. When I refill my cup at a fast food place, for example, I'm not touching the mouth of my used cup to the spout where the drink is dispensed from. Only the side of my cup is touching, and it's only touching the dispensing lever. It's similar on the ship...my travel mug wouldn't touch the spout. But I can see why they don't want anyone doing it at all. Not everyone will take as much care as the rest of us.

Not to be difficult,  but it's about more than the lid.  If you had a drink and refill your cup, whatever germs inside your cup from drinking will splash onto the ice and beverage dispenser.   Those germs then spew into the next cup that dispenses ice or beverage.  Have you never experienced splattering from your cup when refilling?  I can't imagine Carnival just enjoys insane amounts of dishes just for the heck of it.  They are trying to keep people safe and healthy and the only inconvenience we are expected to deal with is drinking out of a clean cup.  I don't understand why people are insistent to break or fight the rule.  Their house...their rules.  McDonald's,  Taco Bell, etc can do as they please.  But when you have that many people in close proximity for multiple days in a row, I appreciate the protective measures.   

1 hour ago, happylittlefamily said:

Not to be difficult,  but it's about more than the lid.  If you had a drink and refill your cup, whatever germs inside your cup from drinking will splash onto the ice and beverage dispenser.   Those germs then spew into the next cup that dispenses ice or beverage.  Have you never experienced splattering from your cup when refilling?  I can't imagine Carnival just enjoys insane amounts of dishes just for the heck of it.  They are trying to keep people safe and healthy and the only inconvenience we are expected to deal with is drinking out of a clean cup.  I don't understand why people are insistent to break or fight the rule.  Their house...their rules.  McDonald's,  Taco Bell, etc can do as they please.  But when you have that many people in close proximity for multiple days in a row, I appreciate the protective measures.   

I'm not fighting against the rule and I meant it when I said I follow it. In fact, I even said I understand why they made the rule.

I did consider small amounts of liquid with germs splashing up, but I would think the risk there would be negligible. I'm not a doctor, it's just my opinion. That scenario is certainly possible, but I think they're trying to avoid direct contact more than anything.

I've never understood the "always use a clean cup" recommendation. We don't at self-serve drink stations in restaurants on land, does something about salt air make a difference? The cup doesn't touch the dispenser nozzle or the ice discharge outlet. 
 I think this is the same worn out messages like "no jeans or shorts allowed in the MDR" or "if you don't have a passport you can't get home" message(s) that are both wrong.

We take insulated mugs and with Bottomless Bubbles they will fill them with ice and soda. On the Dream in January they returned my mug with ice and gave me the full can of soda. Sometimes I think it changes from cruise to cruise.

6 minutes ago, BallFour4 said:

I've never understood the "always use a clean cup" recommendation. We don't at self-serve drink stations in restaurants on land, does something about salt air make a difference? The cup doesn't touch the dispenser nozzle or the ice discharge outlet. 
 I think this is the same worn out messages like "no jeans or shorts allowed in the MDR" or "if you don't have a passport you can't get home" message(s) that are both wrong.

We take insulated mugs and with Bottomless Bubbles they will fill them with ice and soda. On the Dream in January they returned my mug with ice and gave me the full can of soda. Sometimes I think it changes from cruise to cruise.

Aside from the info mentioned above (splashing your backwash left in your cup back up onto the dispenser), you also put your cup up against the lever, then someone puts their cup up against the lever and transfers your dirty germy hands onto their cup, which they then put up to their mouth (not everyone washes their hands after the bathroom). Overkill? Perhaps. But they have a reason. In healthcare, it’s absolutely prohibited for us to refill a pt’s used cup at the communal water/ice machine. New cup every time.