Buffet in light of the coronavirus

tert333

It doesn't seem like it should be too hard to convert the buffets to eliminate individual contact for the unwrapped foods (and to have more wrapped foods) with some strict hygenic monitoring.   Maybe you walk through the part where they hand food to you (like the roast beef line) and then move onto the wrapped section with juices, some wrapped salads, etc.   Since they aren't making money on the food it seems like there should be a good solution, albeit with more waste.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, brisalta said:

Why, when there are hand sanitizer stations all over the ships?

They might be at the entrances of the Lido buffet or MDR etc but might not be at when I have a need for it.  It won't be too much trouble to have in the pocket.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChattTenn said:

They might be at the entrances of the Lido buffet or MDR etc but might not be at when I have a need for it.  It won't be too much trouble to have in the pocket.  

I have seen it near bars as well.

On 3/2/2020 at 12:56 PM, Kartgv said:

IF we go on our scheduled May cruise on the Royal, I intend to take thin vinyl gloves to use in the buffet - remove them after using serving pieces, pulling my chair in, and using any condiments on the table, just before handling any food or utensils.   I'll also be more selective choosing my food (picking items farther back in the display, taking advantage of any stations that prepare and serve the food individually, and use the dining room and burger and pizza stations more.    And, of course, washing hands as often as possible - maybe even excusing myself from the main dining room table to wash after handling menus.   

We are in the highest risk group (both age and medical factors) so are possibly more concerned than some others.     

Actually my biggest fear is being trapped in an elevator with someone coughing and/or sneezing.    We'll avoid them when we can, but can't do more than about 2 flights of stairs.    

Did you consider bringing a hand sanitizer to the dinning room & using it as necessary?

Tom😀

Well, our next cruise isn't until June, but my youngest son has already said, "guess I won't be going to the buffet next cruise". I don't eat at the buffet, it grosses me out (people coughing, touching, licking fingers, etc.). However, I've allowed my kids to eat there (and joined them without consuming food). For us, I think this will mean more room service.  MDR isn't open on port days for lunch. 

• Like 1

The thing about the Coronovirus is that it is a respiratory bug with the primary means of spreading being via coughing and sneezing.....or at least that is what the experts think now.  While the virus does also live on some surfaces, it is thought that being within 6 feet of somebody who coughs and/or sneezes will be enough to transmit the bug.  I would conclude that an elevator would be the worst place since there is no way to escape a cough or sneeze.  Here is the CDCs info:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/transmission.html

Hank

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Did anyone read the story that people on land are laying in stocks of freeze dried food - just in case.  Check out this site - https://www.outsideonline.com/2409958/coronavirus-backpacking-freeze-dried-food-shortage.  I will bet that REI is probably sold out of freeze dried food.  

Also, according to the head of HHS (if you chose to believe him), wearing masks can be more harmful to you than not wearing a mask - "Azar said wearing masks "could actually sometimes be more harmful to you than not wearing a mask, because if it's not fitted right you're going to fumble with it. You're going to be touching your face, which is the No. 1 way you're going to get disease, is unclean hands touching your face."

DON

I can’t get the flu vaccine because I have had severe allergic reactions to it in the past so I generally wear a mask on a flight, wash hands often,  steer clear of those who look or sound ill,  try not to touch my face, etc.....I am sure when people see me with my mask they will think I’m trying to ward off COVID19.  Sigh

I am more worried about flu right now, but I intend to be on my cruise in 17 days.

BTW. I cough, sneeze, and often wheeze regularly due to environmental and seasonal allergies....I am most worried about the wrath of other passengers reacting to my “symptoms” than anything else.   I will get a note from my doc and have my prescription inhalers etc as proof of my issues.

we eat some meals...usually breakfast, sometimes lunch,...in the buffet.  I simply wash my hands when entering and before eating.  We don’t share our table in the dining room most of the time, except with our traveling companion and usually they don’t ask us to...little one is 3...last cruise she was not quite 2.   Please note...hand sanitizer does not work As well for what people are seeking here...washing well is far superior. I also do an initial clean up of our cabin, especially things like phone, remote control and light switches...which I don’t see steward generally touch during daily clean up. I thoroughly scrub our little ones borrowed pack and play as well.  Might bring my own this trip...not sure yet.

Someone recently said to me ....You should be less worried about someone else coughing in your food and more concerned that they are coughing in your face or close airspace...which I suppose is true, but just sounds gross all the way around.

sorry for the wandering post.   Hope everyone is able to do whatever is most comfortable here..cruising or not!

20 hours ago, brisalta said:

Because I want to resanitize after going through the buffet line and handling the ladles, touching other common surfaces, touching the bottom of my chair after I pull it in when I sit down, and after touching any of the conditment containers on the table. I always carry a small bottle of sanitizer in my pocket, even to the MDR for after I've handled the menu and pulled in my chair.

• Like 2

It’s been since 2018 since I last sailed on a Princess ship but unless it has already changed  go back to individual containers of milk (not stuff pre-poured), juices and wrapped butters. Thank you Princess.

And now the Grand is having problems with possible coronavirus and some passengers quarantined in their cabins.  I wonder when Princess will get the message about pre-setting tables in the buffet, leaving "unused" drinkware on the table for the next passenger to use, and wiping off tables with a used cloth napkin?  (Saw it all on the Sky in February.  Complained and nothing changed)

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Because I want to resanitize after going through the buffet line and handling the ladles, touching other common surfaces, touching the bottom of my chair after I pull it in when I sit down, and after touching any of the conditment containers on the table. I always carry a small bottle of sanitizer in my pocket, even to the MDR for after I've handled the menu and pulled in my chair.

even if those sanitizers don't protect you?

https://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/news/20200129/fda-tells-purell-maker-to-stop-making-false-claims

An elementary school teacher who was tired of always being sick, decided to show her students how important it is to wash their hands.

Here are the results after 1 month:

305786914_ScreenShot2020-03-05at10_03_42AM.png.6aaad4ebd2565769acbd5f38d75f08e4.png

Edited by CineGraphic
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/3/2020 at 3:25 PM, brisalta said:

Agree.  Keep your hands in your pocket until you see the next sanitizer station.