Re: COVID-19 global impact

Toranut97

1 hour ago, buggins0402 said:

I’m also hoping the groundhog was right about an early spring  the Northern Hemisphere and a very mild winter in the Southern (this paper is correct.)😀

Well, here it's been Spring for some time now - everything is blooming but there is still some community spread concern - maybe will get better in a month.

I am worried about Spain & especially France where our next cruise is in May - hope they have an early Spring too.

43 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Well, here it's been Spring for some time now - everything is blooming but there is still some community spread concern - maybe will get better in a month.

I am worried about Spain & especially France where our next cruise is in May - hope they have an early Spring too.

Hi Paul,  I don't want to be the Grim reaper but things are not looking good for our cruise in May. Being nearer the action herein Majorca the town is empty and many hotels not opening for Easter.

The virus is gathering a pace here in Spain the next two weeks will tell.

https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-03-10/the-uncontrolled-spread-of-the-coronavirus-in-spain-forces-a-change-of-scenario.html

9 minutes ago, roger b said:

Hi Paul,  I don't want to be the Grim reaper but things are not looking good for our cruise in May. Being nearer the action herein Majorca the town is empty and many hotels not opening for Easter.

https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-03-10/the-uncontrolled-spread-of-the-coronavirus-in-spain-forces-a-change-of-scenario.html

Not good news. I agree that the near future - certainly within the next 1 month - will tell us in which direction this epidemic is moving.

We can wait and make the decision closer to sailing thanks to the new O cancellation policy.

PS How are things in Majorca?

Edited by Paulchili

4 minutes ago, roger b said:

Sigh.  I'm trying to ignore the situation for at least a month, as we all don't sail for another 65 days.  I'm not being very successful in ignoring it however, as this post confirms.

I am going to be optimistic for our fall cruise on Windstar, and book our airfare this week (Paul: on Turkish. Airlines.  We have a 10 hour layover in Istanbul, but that lounge is incredible!)

4 hours ago, roger b said:

Neither  Italy or Spain are noted as being poster boys for sanitation as i recall 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

Neither  Italy or Spain are noted as being poster boys for sanitation as i recall 

Hi Dan - If you'd said that a couple of years ago, I would have heartily agreed with you.  But now that we have "our own beauty spots" like San Diego, LA, and SF in our collection of cities that certainly aren't as pristine as they once were, we're probably not in as strong a position to point fingers at anyone else.  Pretty sad  🙄 

• Like 2

Even on Oceania's ships there have been plenty of comments about people who don't seem able to wash their hands after using the loo.  Even when there has been a Noro outbreak on a ship, there are people who can't seem to use basic sanitation. So I agree that pointing fingers isn't very helpful.

21 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Not good news. I agree that the near future - certainly within the next 1 month - will tell us in which direction this epidemic is moving.

We can wait and make the decision closer to sailing thanks to the new O cancellation policy.

PS How are things in Majorca?

Hi Paul,

You asked how things are in Majorca !!

https://www.mallorca-properties.co.uk/news/coronavirus-mallorca/

Maybe just a scare story ,but with Spanish cases doubling daily they will be the next Italy.

This just came to me not good news for northern Europe.

https://www.express.co.uk/travel/cruise/1253637/coronavirus-cruise-ship-belgium-cruises-zeebrugge-quarantine-news-latest

1 hour ago, roger b said:

Hi Paul,

You asked how things are in Majorca !!

https://www.mallorca-properties.co.uk/news/coronavirus-mallorca/

Maybe just a scare story ,but with Spanish cases doubling daily they will be the next Italy.

This just came to me not good news for northern Europe.

https://www.express.co.uk/travel/cruise/1253637/coronavirus-cruise-ship-belgium-cruises-zeebrugge-quarantine-news-latest

Oh boy....

17 hours ago, pingpong1 said:

Hi Dan - If you'd said that a couple of years ago, I would have heartily agreed with you.  But now that we have "our own beauty spots" like San Diego, LA, and SF in our collection of cities that certainly aren't as pristine as they once were, we're probably not in as strong a position to point fingers at anyone else.  Pretty sad  🙄 

I agree.... however it still is worthy of comment  that these places have  issues.

I suspect that many of you have heard By now that Trump has banned all flights from Europe (except UK) for the next 30 days.

Not sure about flights from US to Europe. If cruising to Europe in the next month, how would people get back?

Also, NBA has been suspended the season for now

This COVID-19 is a BIG deal - it’s no flu.

33 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

I suspect that many of you have heard By now that Trump has banned all flights from Europe (except UK) for the next 30 days.

Not sure about flights from US to Europe. If cruising to Europe in the next month, how would people get back?

Correct  its now listed as 10x the severity of  regular flu..... One doctor on NBC to night was quoted as saying for people over 70 it is a "killing machine"...      Maybe over stated but worthy or contemplation if you are....... If your in Europe on Friday the 13th.... your not getting home for a Long time it appears.

Its a whole new world......   Sad to see such severe measures  it must be a tough call  but a necessary one. It is going to hurt... but thats good because you have to be alive to hurt !

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

Mr Trump  is allowing  flights from the UK  at the moment  so all U.S return flights  would have to route though  London?? 

7 minutes ago, roger b said:

Mr Trump  is allowing  flights from the UK  at the moment  so all U.S return flights  would have to route though  London?? 

That and what about someone flying from Madrid (or any other place in Europe) to US via London. Since that would be a flight from London it would be allowed to land here and how could anybody know where the passengers on this flight originated from (if flying on a separate ticket). Even if it is a connecting flight, would an immigration officer know where the passenger is from or would just having an EU passport prohibit you from arriving in US?

BTW, flights to/from S. Korea are not banned, AFAIK.

On 3/10/2020 at 4:36 PM, pingpong1 said:

2 hours ago, jeanine said:

US citizens are not being banned from returning home from Europe! People need to start checking the facts! 

+1 👍 ... and in bold - People need to start checking the facts!  

• Like 1

Let’s get real here - this is just a gesture to give people a false sense of security with little benefit.

This is NOT what will stop the pandemic at this point - it’s already here (obviously) and growing exponentially.

We need to concentrate on how to deal with it now that it’s here at home. Are we spending those 8 Billion $$$ assigned to deal with this epidemic TODAY and not a month from now?

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Let’s get real here - this is just a gesture to give people a false sense of security with little benefit.

This is NOT what will stop the pandemic at this point - it’s already here (obviously) and growing exponentially.

We need to concentrate on how to deal with it now that it’s here at home. Are we spending those 8 Billion $$$ assigned to deal with this epidemic TODAY and not a month from now?

The British Government have just issued a directive that over 65's should not go on cruises !!  another nail in the coffin for my plans this year.

20 minutes ago, roger b said:

The British Government have just issued a directive that over 65's should not go on cruises !!  another nail in the coffin for my plans this year.

It is a directive, not an order. You have to make your own decision.I am 65, my husband is 70, and if our June 26 Marina Baltic cruise is not cancelled and we can get to it, we will be on board.

On 3/10/2020 at 4:36 PM, pingpong1 said:

15 hours ago, jeanine said:

US citizens are not being banned from returning home from Europe! People need to start checking the facts! 

Totally Agree, Jeanine!  I watched the President's talk on TV and he specifically said that US citizens were exempted from the ban.  It just effects non-US citizens