Re: COVID-19 global impact

Toranut97

8 minutes ago, GeorgesGal said:

Totally Agree, Jeanine!  I watched the President's talk on TV and he specifically said that US citizens were exempted from the ban.  It just effects non-US citizens

But if there are no flights to Europe how are you going to get there for your cruise? And how would you get home. As next week progresses you will likely see a massive scale back from the airlines of flights to/from European cities except for the UK as Americans currently in Europe make their way home. Then they will just ground the planes used on European routes for a month. You may be able to get there by going to canada and then over to Europe, know one knows yet. Just today Norway and denmark are closing themselves off to the rest of the world for a few weeks.

I used this Chinese virus hysteria to lock in award tickets for a Tahiti cruise next January. I was watching the cost and it came down today.

4 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

????? Is that what this is? Really?

Is it a hoax?

There is a difference between a hoax and hysteria.

Definition of hysteria:

1: a psychoneurosis marked by emotional excitability and disturbances of the psychogenic, sensory, vasomotor, and visceral (see VISCERAL sense 4) functions
2: behavior exhibiting overwhelming or unmanageable fear or emotional excess
Edited by susiesan

5 minutes ago, susiesan said:

Definition of hysteria:

1: a psychoneurosis marked by emotional excitability and disturbances of the psychogenic, sensory, vasomotor, and visceral (see VISCERAL sense 4) functions

Excuse me but if anyone on these boards has exhibited “hysteria” it’s been you in your multitude of recent posts.

COVID-19 or the response to it is not a hysteria (nor a hoax).

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

????? Is that what this is? Really?

Is it a hoax?

You are so right Paul ,it seems that a lot of people on the Oceania boards have not a clue how bad this virus is going to be before it gets better, we have been told by the chief medical officer of the U.K that up 80% of the population are going to catch this virus and it will not peak for 3 months, personally I will be doing all I can to try to not catch it . 

If it means me missing a few cruises  i am going to do it.

Viking and Princess have taken the the right approach to this Pandemic and cancelled their cruise program from March 12th to April 30th.

I hope Oceania follow their Lead !!!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, roger b said:

You are so right Paul ,it seems that a lot of people on the Oceania boards have not a clue how bad this virus is going to be before it gets better, we have been told by the chief medical officer of the U.K that up 80% of the population are going to catch this virus and it will not peak for 3 months, personally I will be doing all I can to try to not catch it . 

Viking and Princess have taken the the right approach to this Pandemic and cancelled their cruise program from March 12th to April 30th.

I couldn’t agree more. We haven’t cancelled our May cruise yet but as of right now I don’t see us cruising in May. I am hoping that O will cancel it and we get a refund rather than FCC.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

I couldn’t agree more. We haven’t cancelled our May cruise yet but as of right now I don’t see us cruising in May. I am hoping that O will cancel it and we get a refund rather than FCC.

PLUS 1

• Like 3

2 hours ago, susiesan said:

Definition of hysteria:

Thought I would post this for all those who are taking this virus as a Chinese Hoax !!

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1254486/Coronavirus-uk-latest-Ebola-warning-covid-19-symptoms-death-toll-update

Lots of closures today ... many NYC cultural institutions:  the Metropolitan Opera AND Museum, the Philharmonic, Broadway shows ... And not just in NYC.  Then there is Disneyland as of Saturday morning.

DH's nephew was vacationing in Zermatt with plans to come home Saturday.  They were able to change their reservations to Friday.  I think that they were not alone in thinking that ALL passengers from Europe were banned, that U.S. citizens are okay.  But from what I read today (can't remember where so it could be bogus) that anyone arriving in the U.S. needs to self-quarantine.  I'm sure they will be delighted to do that ...

For those of us over 70 (and maybe even younger), I think it's a good idea to be cautious at the very least ...

We don't have any travel booked right now so we're okay on that score, but we won't be planning anything soon, that's for sure.

Mura

20 hours ago, Paulchili said:

That and what about someone flying from Madrid (or any other place in Europe) to US via London. Since that would be a flight from London it would be allowed to land here and how could anybody know where the passengers on this flight originated from (if flying on a separate ticket). Even if it is a connecting flight, would an immigration officer know where the passenger is from or would just having an EU passport prohibit you from arriving in US?

BTW, flights to/from S. Korea are not banned, AFAIK.

Yes the immigration officers at your point of entry to the US will ask where you have been even though the US-inbound flight originated from London. When you complete the immigration form (either through Global Entry or the Mobile Passport app), you will have to provide all other countries visited on this trip.

1 hour ago, roger b said:

Thought I would post this for all those who are taking this virus as a Chinese Hoax !!

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1254486/Coronavirus-uk-latest-Ebola-warning-covid-19-symptoms-death-toll-update

Would agree on the transmission side of this virus vs. Ebola, but definitely not the same mortality rate. Ebola is like 80% fatal.

6 minutes ago, Pedro22 said:

When you complete the immigration form (either through Global Entry or the Mobile Passport app), you will have to provide all other countries visited on this trip.

How can this be verified for veracity? Is there any passport trail?

It depends on the point of departure. More countries are electronic and networked so immigration officers can see a list of countries where the passport has been scanned. I'm not sure how that works on the cuise ship. When I was on Marina last year for the Baltic cruise, I only had to show my passport to immigration officers in St. Petersburg, but none of the other countries.  But Oceania has the passport number stored in their system so its possible they could convey that file to the immigration office of each country where the ship docks. Not sure though, and would be curious if anyone else does know how that works.  It would be risky to take a chance on not reporting something at immigration.

1 hour ago, ORV said:

It's hit our local town now. Governor having a news conference right now. 

NCAA cancelled March Madness, first time ever, even during WWII. 

We have it here in Aspen now. Largest cluster in CO. A group of Aussie's are in isolation and the ski company and Town won't tell locals where they stayed, ate, skied etc. The $$$$ is more important to them.

Now, my favorite time of year...March Madness is gone too. And I probably lost the equivalent of a Rolls Royce in the stock market this week 😞

However, I am well diversified in my portfolio and believe we will all be OK. I think the media is really pushing all of to overreact. Stay strong everyone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, roger b said:

Just look at Italy. Today they crossed 1000 deaths. We are about 10 days behind them at a similar trajectory. But we have 5X as many population, and they have a better healthcare system.  

46 minutes ago, ano said:

Just look at Italy. Today they crossed 1000 deaths. We are about 10 days behind them at a similar trajectory. But we have 5X as many population, and they have a better healthcare system.  

Just read The Spanish  government  have banned all cruise ships from all ports from today ?

2 hours ago, roger b said:

Just read The Spanish  government  have banned all cruise ships from all ports from today ?

Just waiting for O to cancel the cruise - I have pretty much decided that we would not go.

Saga cruises in the UK cater exclusively for older passengers 50+ only 3 ships about 1000 passengers. They have just cancelled all cruises for 6 weeks as the UK govt says over 70s shouldn’t cruise. They think it will cost them £10/15 million, what is the financial impact on the likes of Princess?

Thats if if they could get staff to the ships in the US !  

4 hours ago, roger b said:

Thanks!  Just found this:

Spain closes ports to cruise ships for two weeks to avoid spread of Coronavirus. Spain's Council of Ministers announced that in an effort to avoid Coronavirus, cruise ships from any origin will not be permitted to visit Spanish ports between March 13 and 26.13 hours ago

Edited by bbtondo

1 minute ago, roger b said:

Thanks!  Did a quick edit of my original post when I saw this online.  IMHO it's only a matter of a short time that most of Europe will do this for the next few months.