What do you do first thing on board?

laurawho2

I go straight to the highest deck and start a methodical tour of the ship deck by deck. Even if I have been on the ship before I like to meet the staff and see any changes that may have occurred since I last sailed. I'll of course grab drinks at the first bar I come to and refill along the way. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, kodos said:

I go straight to the highest deck and start a methodical tour of the ship deck by deck. Even if I have been on the ship before I like to meet the staff and see any changes that may have occurred since I last sailed. I'll of course grab drinks at the first bar I come to and refill along the way. 

Thats a great strategy too!

3 hours ago, kodos said:

I love this, because my answer is the exact opposite. I start at the lowest deck and work my way up, primarily because I can sign my little guy up for the kids stuff on 5 on the last cruise and my next one, and then work my way up to the buffet, which is usually slightly emptier at that point. 

One of my favorite meals on board is my first lunch.  Getting on board is always a bit stressful...parking, security checks, boarding groups, etc.   

But when I sit down at that linen covered table, unfold the fancy napkin onto my lap, and order my first beverage while I try to pick out the perfect appetizer and dessert to go with my entree...my vacation has started.   For 7 or 10 days:  I don't have to make anyone's meal, do anyone's dishes, or keep track of anything more important than whether it is the bushwacker or the mudslide I like better.   

The pace of the sit-down lunch is calm and a little slow.   The buffet tends to me more stressful...like a continuation of the boarding process only with food. 

And, I love how the ship makes you feel like a three course meal is normal for you to consume 2-3 times a day.  I feel a little bit like a kid playing dress up: pretending I set a table for lunch and plan menus and make it fancy instead of the reality: I eat yesterday's PBJ my kid brought home in their lunch bag at my desk with a can of soda which is warm because I forgot to refreeze my ice pack.

That boarding day lunch is a hiatus between the chaos of boarding and the chaos of muster drill. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, P_Mcruisers said:

We always head to the dining room that has waiter service.(This does not include O’Sheehans)  Its relaxing and definitely non aggravating. Each ship that we have been on has at least one sit down restaurant open.  Then we wait for the all clear to got to our room.

Which dining room has the waiter service?? I thought it was buffet first day lunch. (Newbie here)

TIA

2 hours ago, laurawho2 said:

Which dining room has the waiter service?? I thought it was buffet first day lunch. (Newbie here)

TIA

Depends on the ship, but one of the main dining rooms is always open for lunch on embarkation. The staff will try to direct you to the buffet, to cut down on the crowds in the MDR, but one of them is open as well as O'sheehan's/The Local.

21 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Depends on the ship, but one of the main dining rooms is always open for lunch on embarkation. The staff will try to direct you to the buffet, to cut down on the crowds in the MDR, but one of them is open as well as O'sheehan's/The Local.

We'll be on the Breakaway in a bit over 2 weeks! Where will the wait service be?

15 hours ago, laurawho2 said:

TIA

On the Jewel Ships (Gem, Pearl, Jade and Jewel) and Dawn Ships (Star,  Sun and Dawn) it is the Aft restaurant on the 6th floor. Entrance to these restaurants is on the seventh floor with a stairway down to the 6th floor.    

On the Breakaway we ate the the Savor the Taste Restaurants on the 6th floor. 

If you are boarding any ship you should ask for he sit down dining room  that has waiter service. Do Not accept the Main Dining Room or O'Sheehan's as an answer.

As far as I know all NCL ships have restaurant service on the first day (for lunch) and the final day (for breakfast) 

Hope this helps.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, P_Mcruisers said:

On the Jewel Ships (Gem, Pearl, Jade and Jewel) and Dawn Ships (Star,  Sun and Dawn) it is the Aft restaurant on the 6th floor. Entrance to these restaurants is on the seventh floor with a stairway down to the 6th floor.    

On the Breakaway we ate the the Savor the Taste Restaurants on the 6th floor. 

If you are boarding any ship you should ask for he sit down dining room  that has waiter service. Do Not accept the Main Dining Room or O'Sheehan's as an answer.

As far as I know all NCL ships have restaurant service on the first day (for lunch) and the final day (for breakfast) 

Hope this helps.  

Yes. Thank you!

On 3/4/2020 at 8:45 AM, laurawho2 said:

Wondering what time people board, and what's the first things they do when they get on board? Also looking for lunch suggestions! Thanks!

1: I board whenever I was assigned my time by NCL.

2: First thing I do when I board is cry a little because I am so happy to be on vacation. 
3. We ate at Margaritaville on the Bliss for our first onboard meal and it was awesome..we plan to head to the American Diner which replaced the Margaritaville on the Encore in December 2020. 

I’ve sailed on many cruise lines but I haven’t been on NCL recently. If I want to bring my bags on board with me but board before the cabins are ready, can I still drop them off in my cabin or must I carry them with me until the cabin is ready?

1 hour ago, P_Mcruisers said:

Do Not accept the Main Dining Room

Technically, Taste and Savor (on Bliss, Joy, Encore at least) are considered MDR, or many people here consider them that since they serve the same menu for dinner as the Manhattan Room (the largest dining venue).  Taste and/or Savor serve lunch on embarkation day.

6 minutes ago, caggfamily said:

I’ve sailed on many cruise lines but I haven’t been on NCL recently. If I want to bring my bags on board with me but board before the cabins are ready, can I still drop them off in my cabin or must I carry them with me until the cabin is ready?

Like most cruise lines, if the cabins are not ready you can't even get there.  The only exception is The Haven.

15 minutes ago, caggfamily said:

No, you will not have access to your cabin before the announcement that cabins are ready. This usually happens around 1:30 for ships that are scheduled to begin boarding at noon. *Note: most ships scheduled to begin boarding at noon usually start boarding around 11:30.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, caggfamily said:

That’s too bad. On Holland America your cabin is ready when you board, even at 11:30 so it’s easy to go straight there and unpack or at least drop off your bags.

If carrying your bags is an issue, then dont. Just a carry on.