Dining Room - Embarkation Day

It usually is open but make sure to tell the Maitre 'd you are a 4 star or better yet have your room key card out and hand it to him.  Last June on the Oosterdam I couldn't find any information that the MDR was open when we embarked so went and checked it out, was almost turned away until I showed him my card with my 3 stars on it.  It was getting late, probably 1:00pm ish so I rushed to get my husband.  We enjoyed lunch and even ordered our wine package.  It was nice making a connection with the wine steward that first day.

It's the best kept secret......and the best way to calmly start a cruise.

When you board, the staff will usher you to the lido......but head to the MDR.

We've never experienced it not available on embarkation day but as mentioned previously, sometimes it's closed for private events.

I like the idea above of ordering your wine package while it's not busy and the wine steward can assist.....I think we will try that next cruise while at lunch in the MDR.

Smooth sailing..........

3 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

like the idea above of ordering your wine package while it's not busy and the wine steward can assist.....I think we will try that next cruise while at lunch in the MDR.

I usually order the wine package before even getting to the MDR for lunch and have the Wine Steward open the first bottle for me to enjoy during my lunch.

3 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

It's the best kept secret......and the best way to calmly start a cruise.

When you board, the staff will usher you to the lido......but head to the MDR.

We've never experienced it not available on embarkation day but as mentioned previously, sometimes it's closed for private events.

I like the idea above of ordering your wine package while it's not busy and the wine steward can assist.....I think we will try that next cruise while at lunch in the MDR.

Smooth sailing..........

Exactly!

13 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

It usually is open but make sure to tell the Maitre 'd you are a 4 star or better yet have your room key card out and hand it to him.  Last June on the Oosterdam I couldn't find any information that the MDR was open when we embarked so went and checked it out, was almost turned away until I showed him my card with my 3 stars on it.  It was getting late, probably 1:00pm ish so I rushed to get my husband.  We enjoyed lunch and even ordered our wine package.  It was nice making a connection with the wine steward that first day.

I have never had to show my room key to eat at the MDR on embarkation day.  My friend was a first time HAL cruiser and she ate in the MDR as well.  It's been quite a few years since only Mariners were allowed to eat there.

None of us had to show our room keys on my last cruise in October 2019. And at least two at my table on the lower level were HAL novices. I do not believe the upper level was open.

It was a lovely oasis of peace & calm during a very busy day.

15 hours ago, oakridger said:

I have never had to show my room key to eat at the MDR on embarkation day.  My friend was a first time HAL cruiser and she ate in the MDR as well.  It's been quite a few years since only Mariners were allowed to eat there.

I hadn't either until our last cruise.  Must have just been this particular Maitre d'.  I thought that maybe the policy had changed and proof of Mariner status was required.  Guess you never know and never have an exact answer!

Edited by Sharon in AZ

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

I hadn't either until our last cruise.  Must have just been this particular Maitre d'.  I thought that maybe the policy had changed and proof of Mariner status was required.  Guess you never know and never have an exact answer!

Interesting, Sharon.  I have seen many policies on HAL that vary from ship to ship and even cruise to cruise on the same ship so you are right.....you never know!!!  I'm glad I'm good at "going with the flow"!!   🙂

~Nancy

Recently ended a cruise on Maadam.  Based on info on CC, I had planned to eat in the MDR on embarkation day.  Unfortunately its was NOT open.  No big deal, just ate in the Lido as it was relatively early on after boarding started and wasn't busy.  So... word to the wise.