Royal Princess Update

Cannavaro

2 hours ago, crzy4cruises said:

That is great news!

I agree - it is great news. It came a little too late for me, though. I cancelled my cruise this morning. I was meant to fly Thursday and sail Saturday. Not knowing if it was on or off was just too risky for me so I pulled the plug. Hoping the sailing goes off smoothly and without issue!

On 3/9/2020 at 8:42 PM, wl2cruise said:

Looks like Monterey California has cancelled Royal Princess calls for March and April

https://monterey.org/Services/Harbor-and-Marina/Cruise-Ship-Tall-Ship-Visits

Thanks for sharing this.  I'm currently scheduled for the Royal on April 11th with my two young kids (4 and 6) and have been very torn about going or cancelling (mostly concerned about the possibility of a quarantine with the kids)... Monterey was one of the reasons we were going to go, but between this and the news reporting that they are trying to restrict cruise travel along California we may have to cancel... 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ltlqtgrl said:

Thanks for sharing this.  I'm currently scheduled for the Royal on April 11th with my two young kids (4 and 6) and have been very torn about going or cancelling (mostly concerned about the possibility of a quarantine with the kids)... Monterey was one of the reasons we were going to go, but between this and the news reporting that they are trying to restrict cruise travel along California we may have to cancel... 

We are on this cruise too and are going to cancel because we don't want to risk quarantine or getting to the port and they cancel or delay the cruise.

I haven't received an email yet about the itinerary change though. I wonder if it will just be another "sea" day.

Seattle has also banned the first two cruise ships scheduled to arrive in April and the Governor canceled any public gatherings of over 250 people, which would seem to include cruise ships. 

I was looking at the HAL and NCL boards and one said their ship wasn't allowed to tender in Cabo, just sit there for a bit before moving on, and multiple stops in Mazatlan have been cancelled, with the State Department raising their threat warning for Mazatlan due to high crime risk. So anyone having second thoughts might want to look at going to an all-inclusive resort in Cabo or Puerto Vallarta, which are probably even cheaper than usual with the current situation and this late in winter. I know LA and Seattle both have direct flights to those locations, and package deals through Alaska Air. 

UUUUGGGGG!!!  We have three days until we sail on the Royal.  I wish they would say that we are definitely going or definitely not going, but I understand that things change daily.  I feel like if we can just get on the ship, things will go as planned.  But, if we were scheduled after the 14th I would not expect to sail.  I think this date is really cutting it close as California may close the ports. 

32 minutes ago, jp2746 said:

UUUUGGGGG!!!  We have three days until we sail on the Royal.  I wish they would say that we are definitely going or definitely not going, but I understand that things change daily.  I feel like if we can just get on the ship, things will go as planned.  But, if we were scheduled after the 14th I would not expect to sail.  I think this date is really cutting it close as California may close the ports. 

Per my TA a few days ago, it was going. As you said, things can change. Not sure what agency gave the do not sail directive, but they had to eat a little crow. Better on the safe side though.

This was posted today on Princess. Didn't see that it was posted above.

https://www.princess.com/news/notices_and_advisories/notices/coronavirus-update.html

13 minutes ago, TheRabbit said:

Per my TA a few days ago, it was going. As you said, things can change. Not sure what agency gave the do not sail directive, but they had to eat a little crow. Better on the safe side though.

https://www.princess.com/news/notices_and_advisories/notices/coronavirus-update.html

We were told that the CDC gave the orders on Saturday.  It was a bit of a mess, but I understand. They should have tested the guy on Friday to be sure.  Maybe even test all crew members the day before coming into port to be safe.  I know that will never happen since there are so many crew members, but it would probably keep this from happening again.  

2 hours ago, jp2746 said:

We were told that the CDC gave the orders on Saturday.  It was a bit of a mess, but I understand. They should have tested the guy on Friday to be sure.  Maybe even test all crew members the day before coming into port to be safe.  I know that will never happen since there are so many crew members, but it would probably keep this from happening again.  

Totally agree.  I am not sure why Princess didn’t do everything possible to test that single crew member on Friday.   

5 hours ago, spingal said:

Totally agree.  I am not sure why Princess didn’t do everything possible to test that single crew member on Friday.   

Because on Friday the CDC said the crew member did not have to be tested.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TheRabbit said:

I don’t see any crow eating. They did what they judged they had to. The TSA does not eat crow if they find nothing of concern in your bag. 

Edited by Wehwalt
  • Like 1

I completed and submitted my reimbursement form for the hotel and airline change fees (not sure if they will pay that) on March 9th.  I don't expect to hear back, but in the event anyone else sent in the form, can you post when/if you get a refund?

Thanks!

On 3/11/2020 at 7:43 PM, spingal said:

Totally agree.  I am not sure why Princess didn’t do everything possible to test the crew member on Friday.   

Because they had sent information (concerning the crew member) in on Friday and had been cleared to dock and off load passengers.  Which I, for one am glad of since I was on that cruise.  It was only after disembarkation that they were notified of the change and the NEW requirement to test the crew member.  By that time it was too late to get the test run that day. So the decision to cancel the cruise was made.