Royal Princess Update

Cannavaro

28 minutes ago, Marty156 said:

Almost 100% of insurance policies in Australia specifically EXCLUDE anything like a epidemic/pandemic or contagious disease!

There is ZERO cover for credit card insurance policy holders.

Best way to get any funds returned is to take upo the cancellation offer from Princess.

I’m with Insure and Go and I am definitely covered for both Pandemic and Epidemic. Choice just released a great review on Covid cover. I can wait for cancellation by the cruise lines. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 1

It seems to be very dependant as to where/whom the policy was bought from.  

I'm sincerely hoping that yours does cover all the below exclusions. 

For example, in their PDS it says:

"Cruise cover Claims directly or indirectly for or related to Your cruise, and cruise travel or that arise whilst on a cruise are specifically excluded from this policy."  Unless cruise cover is bought in addition.

And then under Other Circumstances Section 2, Additional Expenses, it says:

"We will not pay for claims (under Section 2.3 or 2.5) caused by:

1. an Epidemic, Pandemic or outbreak of an infectious disease or any derivative or mutation of such viruses (or arising directly or indirectly from these) or the threat, or perceived threat, of any of these.

Under Amendments & Cancellation costs Section 3 it says:

18. an Epidemic, Pandemic or outbreak of an infectious disease or any derivative or mutation of such viruses (or arising directly or indirectly from these) or the threat, or perceived threat, of any of these.

Under Travel Delay in section 8 it says:

2. an Epidemic, Pandemic or outbreak of an infectious disease or any derivative or mutation of such viruses (or arising directly or indirectly from these) or the threat, or perceived threat, of any of these.

Under Special Event Section 10 it has:

We will not pay for 

2. an Epidemic, Pandemic or outbreak of an infectious disease or any derivative or mutation of such viruses (or arising directly or indirectly from these) or the threat, or perceived threat, of any of these.

I really really hope that I'm wrong in my understanding.

(I've spent a few days looking at various policies- to compare to mine)

11 hours ago, cruzrbachoua said:

That is great news...does this mean they will let the ship leave today or tomorrow for a shortened cruise or will she just sit at dock?

Cruise was cancelled Saturday night and the Royal was moved offshore so that the NCL Joy could use the pier yesterday for turn around. She’s back at the dock this morning, though. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dsj22 said:

We're coming from the Pacific Northwest and not particularly concerned about the virus itself, more the potential for delays, quarantine, port closures (as has happened in some Caribbean stops). As I am composing this, Princess just released the canceled cruise list and The Royal is not on it for next week. I guess I'll flip a coin. Thanks for your advice. 

Even if the ship and crew are all negative there will be passengers arriving from everywhere, any of them could pick up the virus in their travels. I think the picture of this virus is going to change significantly over the next week as more testing is done. Princess is offering very relaxed cancellation allowances right now. I would take advantage of that and remove the stress of traveling during a pandemic. But that’s just me. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marty156 said:

It seems to be very dependant as to where/whom the policy was bought from.  

I'm sincerely hoping that yours does cover all the below exclusions. 

For example, in their PDS it says:

"Cruise cover Claims directly or indirectly for or related to Your cruise, and cruise travel or that arise whilst on a cruise are specifically excluded from this policy."  Unless cruise cover is bought in addition.

And then under Other Circumstances Section 2, Additional Expenses, it says:

"We will not pay for claims (under Section 2.3 or 2.5) caused by:

1. an Epidemic, Pandemic or outbreak of an infectious disease or any derivative or mutation of such viruses (or arising directly or indirectly from these) or the threat, or perceived threat, of any of these.

Under Amendments & Cancellation costs Section 3 it says:

18. an Epidemic, Pandemic or outbreak of an infectious disease or any derivative or mutation of such viruses (or arising directly or indirectly from these) or the threat, or perceived threat, of any of these.

Under Travel Delay in section 8 it says:

Under Special Event Section 10 it has:

We will not pay for 

I really really hope that I'm wrong in my understanding.

(I've spent a few days looking at various policies- to compare to mine)

Interesting how people buy things like insurance and never read the policies - until they might need them. Then they realize how much is excluded or restricted. Hopefully lesson learned for the future.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, frugaltravel said:

Interesting how people buy things like insurance and never read the policies - until they might need them. Then they realize how much is excluded or restricted. Hopefully lesson learned for the future.

I read my policies, but just wasn't thinking of a pandemic  - I was looking for exclusions for things that I thought might actually happen to me 😞

I had an MSC cruise booked; lucky enough to be able to cancel my cruise before the paid in full date - but I had already paid so I am still awaiting MSC to refund me, and I frankly am a little nervous I will see that money.

I feel for everyone trying to rebook and finding the prices are higher.   Really sucks - you buy insurance, you do everything right, Princess even offers FCC and still you end up financially worse off.  

• Like 2

I'm not sure why Princess is not releasing any info about Royal? Last night they updated regarding Regal. I would imagine that if they had negative results back (as someone here said they did) then wouldn't they want to get that news out? It would be great to know 100% if the cruise on Saturday is going ahead as planned, since we leave for LA on Thursday if we decide to sail....

I was wondering the same thing.  Why no results are being released about the Royal crew member test results.  All the other ships seem to have results in hours not days.  As someone who was on one of the sailings with the crew member I really would like to have some information 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, CruizinCupcake said:

I was wondering the same thing.  Why no results are being released about the Royal crew member test results.  All the other ships seem to have results in hours not days.  As someone who was on one of the sailings with the crew member I really would like to have some information 

Possibly waiting for a second negative test? I seem to recall that Japan was getting some false negatives out of their testing.

26 minutes ago, tailspintom said:

Possibly waiting for a second negative test? I seem to recall that Japan was getting some false negatives out of their testing.

I just find it very strange that test done after the Royal crew test are back. Something just doesn't seem right.  My fear is it was positive and they are waiting on a second one hoping for negative.   Just wish they would let us know what is going on. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dsj22 said:

Hmmm. We are on the Royal this Saturday (14th). What would y'all do ? Any word if this sailing is a go?

My parents are also supposed to be on the Royal sailing on the 14th and I'm hoping they cancel as my dad is not in great health.  Mom is hard headed and probably wont cancel.  Now wondering if it will still sail or be cancelled.  If there is crew that tested positive wouldn't they just need to quarantine the whole crew??  

3 hours ago, CruiseMomTX said:

My parents are also supposed to be on the Royal sailing on the 14th and I'm hoping they cancel as my dad is not in great health.  Mom is hard headed and probably wont cancel.  Now wondering if it will still sail or be cancelled.  If there is crew that tested positive wouldn't they just need to quarantine the whole crew??  

Yikes.  This is just my opinion but I would not take my 80+ year-old parents on any cruise right now. I would be very concerned if your dad is not in great health. I wish you could convince your mother to cancel. If they go I hope they are safe.  

If the crew test positive I guarantee you they will not sail on Saturday.

Edited by spingal
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CruiseMomTX said:

I suspect that they are not putting out the results because they do not need to if it was negative. (I have heard from a source that it was).

Yes, If it was positive the ship would be quarantined and the passengers from the last cruise would be notified.  Neither of which has happened. 

18 minutes ago, npcl said:

I suspect that they are not putting out the results because they do not need to if it was negative. (I have heard from a source that it was).

Yes, If it was positive the ship would be quarantined and the passengers from the last cruise would be notified.  Neither of which has happened. 

Even if they don't need to announce a negative result, I would think that they most definitely would. If only to show that the ship is not contaminated and get some of the negative media reports allayed. Not to mention to put at ease the customers who disembarked Saturday and the ones that are due to sail.

• Like 3

Just wondering if there is a break even point for the cruise to run?  I'm supposed to sail on Saturday but would rather be refunded (instead of the FCC), however I can't see them cancelling (if they are going to cancel) until they're within the 3 days (when I would no longer be eligible for the FCC).  When I called today they said that there has been a lot of cancellations, so I guess I'm just wondering if there is a point when they would cancel due to not enough passengers?  

Just wondering if there is a break even point for the cruise to run?  I'm supposed to sail on Saturday but would rather be refunded (instead of the FCC), however I can't see them cancelling (if they are going to cancel) until they're within the 3 days (when I would no longer be eligible for the FCC).  When I called today they said that there has been a lot of cancellations, so I guess I'm just wondering if there is a point when they would cancel due to not enough passengers?  

The dates listed for cancellation for stops in Monterey (from above link) do not list this week’s sailing. Is that oversight or does Princess plan to cancel and thus that date is not included? There’s been no mention of the results of test performed on the Royal worker. I’m assuming it is negative or they would have to announce self quarantine for everyone who sailed last week. I also assume if it were positive Princess would quarantine the entire crew. We are supposed to travel the week of the 28th. We have CFAR insurance and am waiting a bit longer before I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

6 hours ago, cruisingram1 said:

The dates listed for cancellation for stops in Monterey (from above link) do not list this week’s sailing. Is that oversight or does Princess plan to cancel and thus that date is not included? There’s been no mention of the results of test performed on the Royal worker. I’m assuming it is negative or they would have to announce self quarantine for everyone who sailed last week. I also assume if it were positive Princess would quarantine the entire crew. We are supposed to travel the week of the 28th. We have CFAR insurance and am waiting a bit longer before I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The current itinerary on Royal is Mexico so no stops in Monterey yet. First Coastal with a call there is on the list...

On 3/9/2020 at 3:25 PM, spingal said:

Yikes.  This is just my opinion but I would not take my 80+ year-old parents on any cruise right now. I would be very concerned if your dad is not in great health. I wish you could convince your mother to cancel. If they go I hope they are safe.  

If the crew test positive I guarantee you they will not sail on Saturday.

Well so glad my mom just cancelled their cruise on the Royal Princess 3/14!  Luckily she got the health advisory email and texted me to ask if they should cancel, I told her absolutely.  

• Like 1

I am very happy with Princess right now.  We were scheduled on the Royal last weekend and decided to cruise.  After sitting there for hours, we were cancelled.  It wasn't fun but we decided to try to go out on March 14th instead.  After calling Princess Customer relations, they were able to use our FCC to book the same room on the March 14th cruise for the same price.  

So, we will try it again.  But, Princess really came through.  I guess we just need to be patient and understanding.  No one has had to deal with this before and we are all trying to figure out what the best route is.  

Thanks Princess for taking care of us.  Now I have to get excursions and packages rescheduled.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, CruiseMomTX said:

Well so glad my mom just cancelled their cruise on the Royal Princess 3/14!  Luckily she got the health advisory email and texted me to ask if they should cancel, I told her absolutely.  

YEA!!!  Smart decision.

22 minutes ago, that said:

Marinetraffic.com and Princess Bridge cam show the ship is no longer anchored in harbor,

but is alongside at dock.

Test results?

They posted on twitter that all results were negative