Royal Princess Update

Cannavaro

3 minutes ago, Kartgv said:

The one thing I haven't seen mentioned is where did all those passengers who weren't local residents find hotel rooms for the night given the late hour?   There aren't that many hotels in San Pedro.   Was there any offer of help with either hotels or travel arrangements?    I can't imagine being in that position, tired/frustrated/hungry, especially those with children or older adults who might tire more easily and not easily navigate last minute reservations.    

They announced that they would reimburse a hotel room for the night up to $300 near LAX. I think that the busses were taking people to that area. They also offered to reimburse transportation for shuttles and Uber.   But I thought the same thing. They had to get on the phone and hope they could find a hotel.  Most people that had traveled had spent the night in a hotel before the cruise. They probably just called the same hotel.  I felt so bad for people with small children. Hopefully they. smart enough to to bring snacks.  Our son is turning 14 so we don’t travel with snacks anymore.  

1 hour ago, Kartgv said:

The one thing I haven't seen mentioned is where did all those passengers who weren't local residents find hotel rooms for the night given the late hour?   There aren't that many hotels in San Pedro.   Was there any offer of help with either hotels or travel arrangements?    I can't imagine being in that position, tired/frustrated/hungry, especially those with children or older adults who might tire more easily and not easily navigate last minute reservations.    

Reports say that Princess said  that they would supply shuttle to hotels near LAX.  Lots of rooms there with pretty reasonable rates.

1 hour ago, Kartgv said:

They did at least get a jump on the Carnival passengers who also had to find hotels for the night (though they at least got to sail today). Carnival reimbursed $200 a night....not sure what kind of hotel that would get in the LA area!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dandylyon said:

I would go. Going on April 4! But, that's me. My friends think I'm nuts.

I'm asking the same question. Go or not. We sail Royal on 14th and Panorama on 21st. Go figure - the 2 ships that were a cluster yesterday. Not remotely concerned about getting sick. Just the aftermath with all the panic/hysteria/fear mongering. I just don't want to be stuck on a ship or in military bases because someone might have been sick or in contact with someone sick or whatever the heck reason they give. It is such a tough call. My head says no but my heart (that has been looking forward to these cruises for almost 2 years) says Hell Yeah.

Did anybody hear anything about the State Department issuing a travel advisory for people NOT to get on cruise ships???  I'm not exactly sure what that is going to mean....are all cruises going to be cancelled???  I'm still planning on boarding the Royal on Saturday!

1 minute ago, Cruzingal#9 said:

Did anybody hear anything about the State Department issuing a travel advisory for people NOT to get on cruise ships???  I'm not exactly sure what that is going to mean....are all cruises going to be cancelled???  I'm still planning on boarding the Royal on Saturday!

Both US department of State and CDC have advised against cruise ship travel.

Canada has not issued an official advisory yet but the health minister has publicly announced it should be avoided.

3 minutes ago, Cruzingal#9 said:

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/page/covid-19-cruise-ship

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/before-you-go/travelers-with-special-considerations/cruise-ship-passengers.html

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Both US department of State and CDC have advised against cruise ship travel.

Canada has not issued an official advisory yet but the health minister has publicly announced it should be avoided.

This is a bit misleading. Actual story indicated people with any medical risks should not cruise. Have watch several news segments lead off with the above and then much later in the story the additional info is added. These stories are giving the news free rein to ramp up fear.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

This was just posted on another thread.

Can you link that thread please?

Because as of right now still no official confirmation of the test or results on the Royal Princess crew member but they did clear the Regal today.... 

4 minutes ago, TheRabbit said:

This is a bit misleading. Actual story indicated people with any medical risks should not cruise. Have watch several news segments lead off with the above and then much later in the story the additional info is added. These stories are giving the news free rein to ramp up fear.

No it’s not, the official link has been posted many times. The State Dept recommends US citizens, particularly those with health conditions, should not travel by cruise ship. That means everyone especially anyone with medical risks.

There have been a lot of people on this thread and elsewhere trying to reinterpret a very simple message to suit there own wishes. If you want to ignore the advice that is your choice but please don’t try to rewrite it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, TheRabbit said:

I posted links to both advisories. Interpret it as you wish.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

The situation is insane since they already let off all the guests! Stands to reason that if the crew member is positive then there is a chance some of those guests must be too!!! It seems like CDC and Government are reacting after the fact rather than being proactive and establishing an actual plan/procedure! CDC already cleared the ship and then suddenly decided they had questions AFTER everyone left?

Yep. I am one of the unfortunate passengers who was supposed to sail yesterday.  I agree it didn’t make any sense.  Everyone from the previous cruise was gone when we arrived.  We were told the crew member had been on the Royal for over two weeks and showed no signs of illness at any point.  Who knows what is really happening?  What I find strange is that the Regal was able to get their two crewmembers tested today and get the results in the same day. Why didn’t Princess management test this crew member on Friday?   Earlier yesterday?

Edited by spingal
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, TheRabbit said:

Actual wording on the State Department web site:

"U.S. citizens, particularly travelers with underlying health conditions, should not travel by cruise ship."

Basically says all but emphasizes some.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, teamflames said:

No it’s not, the official link has been posted many times. The State Dept recommends US citizens, particularly those with health conditions, should not travel by cruise ship. That means everyone especially anyone with medical risks.

There have been a lot of people on this thread and elsewhere trying to reinterpret a very simple message to suit there own wishes. If you want to ignore the advice that is your choice but please don’t try to rewrite it.

I hope you you realize we are say same thing. Those with medical condition should not travel same as the link.

Quoting above, " "Both US department of State and CDC have advised against cruise ship travel." No mention of medical. That was all I was referencing.

3 minutes ago, caribill said:

Actual wording on the State Department web site:

"U.S. citizens, particularly travelers with underlying health conditions, should not travel by cruise ship."

Basically says all but emphasizes some.

23 minutes ago, spingal said:

Yep. I am one of the unfortunate passengers who was supposed to sail yesterday.  I agree it didn’t make any sense.  Everyone from the previous cruise was gone when we arrived.  We were told the crew member had been on the Royal for over two weeks and showed no signs of illness at any point.  Who knows what is really happening?  What I find strange is that the Regal was able to get their two crewmembers tested today and get the results in the same day. Why didn’t Princess management test this crew member on Friday?   Earlier yesterday?

On Friday the CDC said the crew member did not require testing and the ship was OK to sail on Saturday.

On Saturday the CDC said the opposite, that a test was required and the ship could not sail until they heard the result and it had to be a negative one.

Ship does not control the testing procedure or time to do it. They were unable to get it done in time for a Saturday sailing. There was no estimate of when it would be completed nor guarantee it would come back negative. This is while about 3000 people were waiting to board the ship.

Even though the Regal did get the test results back the same day (Sunday), there again had been no guarantee of when or what the results would be. They cancelled that cruise around 3 AM before around 3000 passengers would get to the terminal.

15 minutes ago, TheRabbit said:

I hope you you realize we are say same thing. Those with medical condition should not travel same as the link.

Quoting above, " "Both US department of State and CDC have advised against cruise ship travel." No mention of medical. That was all I was referencing.

No we are not. Your previous post suggested media hysteria and fear spreading as you said it focuses on health issues.

My point is the official statements recommend no one travel by cruise ship - simple.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dsj22 said:

We're coming from the Pacific Northwest and not particularly concerned about the virus itself, more the potential for delays, quarantine, port closures (as has happened in some Caribbean stops). As I am composing this, Princess just released the canceled cruise list and The Royal is not on it for next week. I guess I'll flip a coin. Thanks for your advice. 

If you are coming from Washington state I wouldn't go.   The latest analysis of the coronavirus in California implies (but does not prove) that the virus cases in California came from a person in Washington who went on the cruise in California.   Ultimately true or not, this is hitting the media -- and we do have a serious outbreak here so I really wouldn't blame a cruise ship for treating us just like Chinese, Italians, or Iranians.   Not a position that you want to be in.

Edited by NorthwestCruiser

8 minutes ago, teamflames said:

No we are not. Your previous post suggested media hysteria and fear spreading as you said it focuses on health issues.

My point is the official statements recommend no one travel by cruise ship - simple.

You state it as I read it. Recommends. Not advises against. That was the point I was trying to make. 

Having page problems. Tried to say same thing above but had problems.

Edited by TheRabbit

If they do not want anyone to board a cruise ship I wish they would just say it. Even the good doctor couched his advice (or recommendation)!

At what point does it become a directive that necessitates insurance or credit card coverage to be invoked???

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

If they do not want anyone to board a cruise ship I wish they would just say it. Even the good doctor couched his advice (or recommendation)!

At what point does it become a directive that necessitates insurance or credit card coverage to be invoked???

In Australia this "advice' is meaningless for insurance claims. It must state Do Not Travel. Anything less and forget it as far as getting funds back. 

• Thanks 1

Almost 100% of insurance policies in Australia specifically EXCLUDE anything like a epidemic/pandemic or contagious disease!

There is ZERO cover for credit card insurance policy holders.

Best way to get any funds returned is to take upo the cancellation offer from Princess.

• Like 1