New travel warning

Taclin01

1 hour ago, sunnyduny said:

we are sailing this coming Friday on Reflection do you know which ports are stopping the ships docking. Have heard nothing back here in Scotland not even on the news

Jamaica denied a MSC ship because of an ill crew member (who was later found to have the flu, not Covid-19) and Vision of the Seas skipped St. Lucia last week because they had a sick (again, not Covid-19) crew member (from what a lady in line with me at the San Juan airport told me on Saturday). A Princess ship was delayed docking in Ft. Lauderdale after it was learned that they had a few crew members who had recently transferred over from the Grand Princess (last I heard they were still waiting for their test results to come back, but since I've heard nothing on this morning's news I'm guessing they are either still waiting or the crew members are fine). 

5 hours ago, SempreMare said:

Exactly.  The other big unknowns:  

- Risk of being quarantined

- Risk of receiving adequate medical care on the ship should your condition turn bad quickly.

I want to know what are the "underlying conditions" being referred to of people who became very ill or died. 

Ex:  Would my need to take Synthroid (replacement thyroid hormone)  be considered an underlying condition? 

Ex:  Several friends take blood pressure medicine but they tell me it's well controlled.  Would that be considered an underlying condition? 

Here is what Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases at the National Institutes of Health, said at a news conference about three days ago:

"For the most part, the people who get in trouble and ultimately, tragically, would die from this are people who are elderly and/or have underlying conditions: heart disease, chronic lung disease, diabetes, obesity, because of the difficulty in breathing back and forth."

and, answering someones question on preexisting conditions:

"So, the numbers and the statistics you said are correct, but there’s really a difference between an underlying condition and a serious underlying condition that would actually compromise you.  So let me explain. By the numbers that you said, someone who has high blood pressure, is on a blood pressure medication and has got it down pretty well, has an underlying condition. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease that might require intermittent oxygen is a serious underlying condition.  There’s a big difference between somebody with controlled hypertension and somebody with congestive heart failure and chronic pulmonary disease."

December: Nothing

January: Nothing

February: Diamond Princess Quarantine

March (week 1): Grand Princess Quarantine, River Cruise Quarantine, close calls on Regal Princess, Royal Princess, Carnival Panorama, infection on MSC Opera.

March (week 2): ?

This problem is mushrooming, as it is around the world.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

December: Nothing

January: Nothing

February: Diamond Princess Quarantine

March (week 1): Grand Princess Quarantine, River Cruise Quarantine, close calls on Regal Princess, Royal Princess, Carnival Panorama, infection on MSC Opera.

March (week 2): ?

This problem is mushrooming, as it is around the world.

I wonder if there is anywhere this type of thing is officially tracked where we could monitor it. If not, there should be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sunnyduny said:

we are sailing this coming Friday on Reflection do you know which ports are stopping the ships docking. Have heard nothing back here in Scotland not even on the news

We are just off Silhouette. Our cruise was ‘as normal’. No disruption to ports, no noticeable special measures on board. However the virus is all over the news here in the USA including the news of affects on various cruise ships. We left UK three weeks ago but things have moved on quite a bit since then. 
Safe journey over and enjoy your cruise 🚢 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, OuiOnboard said:

What happens when more ships are delayed docking in Florida cruise terminals?

Either they wait until a terminal becomes available or dock elsewhere in the area...

bon voyage

10 hours ago, mlmbar said:

The sad part is that due to mishandling of this and delays, this will greatly impact people in the service and travel industry  

Airlines and airport ground handling agents are asking staff to volunteer for unpaid leave 

8 minutes ago, sgmn said:

Airlines and airport ground handling agents are asking staff to volunteer for unpaid leave 

Yes, Emirates was offering paid/unpaid leave last week to their staff. Many airlines are also slashing routes due to the drop in demand.

I think the CDC warning was badly worded and can be interpreted differently depending on how the first sentence is read. It can be interpreted as do not cruise (everyone) and esp those with health conditions. But it also can be read as do not cruise if you have a health condition. I think the advisory needs to be restated for greater clarity. The fact that we are debating the wording speaks to that. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, poeticlicensed said:

I think the CDC warning was badly worded and can be interpreted differently depending on how the first sentence is read. It can be interpreted as do not cruise (everyone) and esp those with health conditions. But it also can be read as do not cruise if you have a health condition. I think the advisory needs to be restated for greater clarity. The fact that we are debating the wording speaks to that. 

You meant the State Department statement?   The one that said

U.S. citizens, particularly travelers with underlying health conditions, should not travel by cruise ship.

Well, particularly means "to a higher degree", so I would think that means all U.S. citizens, and to a higher degree the ones with underlying health conditions, should not travel by cruise ship.   But others could say "particularly" means "specifically"... so only the U.S. citizens with underlying health conditions should not travel by cruise ship.

So yeah it was badly worded I agree.  But probably on purpose!

1 minute ago, Taclin01 said:

So, let’s say we cancel. Our final payment isn’t due till May 3 and I have paid 800 dollars so far. Will I get a refund on my card or will it be a fcc? 

Depends on if your deposit was refundable or non-refundable.  If non-refundable, it will say NRD on your reservation somewhere.  In that case, the deposit will be given in future cruise credit. If you have a refundable deposit, and before final payment, you get a refund to your method of payment.

1 minute ago, Hllb said:

Depends on if your deposit was refundable or non-refundable.  If non-refundable, it will say NRD on your reservation somewhere.  In that case, the deposit will be given in future cruise credit. If you have a refundable deposit, and before final payment, you get a refund to your method of payment.

Doesn't it also depends if his cruise is in July or August?  I think August does not get Cruise with Confidence.   So non-refundable deposit would not get FCC?

4 minutes ago, lostchild said:

Doesn't it also depends if his cruise is in July or August?  I think August does not get Cruise with Confidence.   So non-refundable deposit would not get FCC?

No, cruise with confidence only applies AFTER final payment date.  As long as they are before final payment date, my comments stand.  After final payment date is different, and cruise with confidence rules would apply.

11 hours ago, mlmbar said:

The sad part is that due to mishandling of this and delays, this will greatly impact people in the service and travel industry  

Edited by sgmn

1 hour ago, villauk said:

Yes, Emirates was offering paid/unpaid leave last week to their staff. Many airlines are also slashing routes due to the drop in demand.

Yeap, encouraging to take paid outstanding holiday and/or unpaid leave. But nothing mandatory and mainly aimed at non-operational staff

39 minutes ago, lostchild said:

Yes, the Cruise with Confidence policy only applies to cruise on or before July 31, 2020. An August cruise NRD would be lost.

37 minutes ago, Hllb said:

No, cruise with confidence only applies AFTER final payment date.  As long as they are before final payment date, my comments stand.  After final payment date is different, and cruise with confidence rules would apply.

Correcting:  If the cruise data is after 7/31, then it cruise with confidence does not apply.  But normal cancellation rules still apply prior to final payment regardless of date.  So yes, NRDs would get future cruise credit, minus penalties (I think ours is $100 pp). 

2 hours ago, villauk said:

‘You cruise, you get stuck, you pay’ - I think that’s what your government is stating.

Also if what your government is saying is that anyone over 60 with underlying conditions should NOT go on a cruise ship then your travel insurance would be invalidated .

That is what happens here in the  UK if you decide to travel against Foreign  office advice 

5 minutes ago, Lindypops said:

Also if what your government is saying is that anyone over 60 with underlying conditions should NOT go on a cruise ship then your travel insurance would be invalidated .

That is what happens here in the  UK if you decide to travel against Foreign  office advice 

Travel insurance is written by many companies in the US. Their coverage varies greatly. Most written after 22 January or so will not cover epidemics like COVID. Some will. And yes travel alerts come into play as well. Again it depends.

Same for those few of us that have health insurance that gives you Worldwide cover. Mine will give my limited foreign cover on a cruise ship or Worldwide EXCEPT if I travel to a place or country with a health warning. So Italy is no insurance but France as of today is fine!  Again every coverage is different.