Any changes to safety drill?

rj42

I'm considering getting on one of the cheap Seattle Westerdam cruises in April, since I'm local and wouldn't have to fly.  One of my concerns, though, is about the safety drill, where people are packed against each other like sardines on the promenade deck. I never feel comfortable being trapped like that and forced to stand in place for over 20 minutes, and with coronavirus, it seems too close for comfort for me. Has anyone on a recent HAL cruise had any different experience (other than the two new ships without a proper promenade)? It would seem a golden opportunity to embrace the practice of NCL and Princess, by having people gather in public areas instead, since contamination is the greatest safety threat now, yet HAL starts off cruises by having people breathe on someone less than a foot away for an extended period and the crew yell at people to get as close to each other as possible. They can also check attendance much easier that way, instead of having multiple Filipinos yelling out room numbers over constant chatter (completely useless, since they rarely finish before the captain starts speaking). 

Curious what the nationality of the crew (which isn't just Filipino) has to do with how the lifeboat drill is conducted?

There is a military (adopted by similar job types) philosophy that you fight the way you train. Going to a Lounge is not the way to train to survive. 

And, does anyone know if, other than on KDam and N. Statendam,  is there capacity for said Lounge "drills". Previous discussions of this concept seem to indicate there isn't,  except for those two ships. This is far, far from a new idea.

• Like 3

QUOTE: "It would seem a golden opportunity to embrace the practice of NCL and Princess, . . ." 

It doesn't seem a good idea to follow what Princess does right now.

On our last one or two cruises, our key cards were scanned, instead of having names called out. That took less time and was less confusing. I think we are better prepared for an emergency with the muster drill on deck. I have attended a few in lounges on Carnival years ago. A lot of people weren't paying attention.

• Like 2

Not sure about smaller ships but two weeks ago on the Nieuw Statendam, life boat drill was held in the Dining Room.

And, it was wonderful compared to the usual fiasco of standing for half an hour or more outside in the sun.

36 minutes ago, Iris5383 said:

QUOTE: "It would seem a golden opportunity to embrace the practice of NCL and Princess, . . ." 

It doesn't seem a good idea to follow what Princess does right now.

On our last one or two cruises, our key cards were scanned, instead of having names called out. That took less time and was less confusing. I think we are better prepared for an emergency with the muster drill on deck. I have attended a few in lounges on Carnival years ago. A lot of people weren't paying attention.

And do you believe that everyone pays attention when the drill is on the deck?

3 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

And do you believe that everyone pays attention when the drill is on the deck?

No. Not everyone. If you want to listen you usually can because people aren't talking. 

9 hours ago, rj42 said:

I'm considering getting on one of the cheap Seattle Westerdam cruises in April, since I'm local and wouldn't have to fly.  One of my concerns, though, is about the safety drill, where people are packed against each other like sardines on the promenade deck. I never feel comfortable being trapped like that and forced to stand in place for over 20 minutes, and with coronavirus, it seems too close for comfort for me. Has anyone on a recent HAL cruise had any different experience (other than the two new ships without a proper promenade)? It would seem a golden opportunity to embrace the practice of NCL and Princess, by having people gather in public areas instead, since contamination is the greatest safety threat now, yet HAL starts off cruises by having people breathe on someone less than a foot away for an extended period and the crew yell at people to get as close to each other as possible. They can also check attendance much easier that way, instead of having multiple Filipinos yelling out room numbers over constant chatter (completely useless, since they rarely finish before the captain starts speaking). 

I did not know the Westy was doing cheap Settle cruises in Aptil

Highly unlikely there will be a change.  How a drill (or muster in an actual emergency) is conducted is preordained when the ship is designed and built (and approved by the relevant authorities).  It all has to do with signage, evacuation routes, etc.  I’m over simplifying, but there’s a lot more to how this is done rather than “let’s muster them in lounges instead of the open decks this week.”

Edited by ShipsAreTheBest
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2