Europe Travel Ban to US

jxtgreek

Just now, jxtgreek said:

Now what...if you were coming to the US for a cruise or going to Europe for a cruise this is going to be ugly.   if you are one of those unfortunate ones what are your plans?

Waiting to see what Princess will do..... it is being said that US citizens can come back if there are flights but they will probably have to go through 14 day quarantine of some kind if US is.consistent with it’s Asia traveler policy...

• Like 1

Yes, I think that it will mean some major changes to cruising, travel in general and more.  And given the the US is way behind the curve on testing, it would not be surprising if the EU enacted reciprocal orders.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PrincessLuver said:

Waiting to see what Princess will do..... it is being said that US citizens can come back if there are flights but they will probably have to go through 14 day quarantine of some kind if US is.consistent with it’s Asia traveler policy...

Who is going to cruise for 2 weeks and then fly back into a 14 day quarantine?  And where are we going to quarantine all that come back?  For all practical purposes flying to and from Europe is now off for at least 30 days.

It also depends on what "Europe" is as far as these rules.

Is it the European Union?

In which case it would include Republic of Ireland which has an open border with UK

Or if its geographical Europe then travel to the US might be allowed from non European parts of Turkey and Russia but not the European parts

And what will stop people from Europe travelling to UK by some means and then hopping on a flight to US?

Going to have to be some tight rules drafted

9 minutes ago, TravelinGert said:

They've specifically said the UK is excluded from the ban. I wonder if European nations will make you quarantine for 14 days when you get there now? 

Well, Italy is essentially shut down.  I would expect to see additional countries apply travel bans.  But I would not consider them a retaliatory ban, if that is even what you were getting at.   

I was just thinking everyone would want to start quarantining people before letting them run free across the country in case. Air travel is a good way to share germs what with the recirculated air and lack of disinfection of hard surfaces between flights. I always carry some disinfecting wipes to wipe our arm rests and fold down trays with and I still think I caught a cold from someone who was sniffling and sneezing the whole flight behind me a couple of times.

1 hour ago, jxtgreek said:

Now what...if you were coming to the US for a cruise or going to Europe for a cruise this is going to be ugly.   if you are one of those unfortunate ones what are your plans?

We have a flight to Spain on April 29 and Med cruise beginning May3.  If they extend the ban we can't get back and I don't want to be on vacation stressing every time someone clears their throat.  The fact I'm in the medical field and most of my patients are seniors, it would be irresponsible of me to go.  Going to cancel my long awaited much deserved Euro trip.

9 minutes ago, TravelinGert said:

I was just thinking everyone would want to start quarantining people before letting them run free across the country in case. Air travel is a good way to share germs what with the recirculated air and lack of disinfection of hard surfaces between flights. I always carry some disinfecting wipes to wipe our arm rests and fold down trays with and I still think I caught a cold from someone who was sniffling and sneezing the whole flight behind me a couple of times.

Oh, I think you are probably right that there will be more restrictions.  You know, the use of hand wipes on airplanes was always something I kind of ignored before.  I think l have a new healthy perspective on that now.  Maybe folks with colds will start wearing masks.  It seems to be common in some Asian countries I've visited.  We need to adopt that practice here in America.  

Hi, in Italy we have very strict measures to limit contagion: restaurants, bars, schools, universities, are closed, only shops selling primary goods are open, museums, churches, all closed, it is strictly forbidden to go out from home if not necessary, you can go buy food or to work (if your workplace is open), you can walk your dog, but only very close to home. I really hope that every other country in Europe (and not only in Europe) will do the same, by now they are not, and it is worrying, because all of this will be useless if foreign countries will continue to allow the virus to spread...it's not time to underestimate the situation anymore.

Hope to see you soon in my beautiful country, when all those who share a passion for travel will be able to move around the world again.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TravelinGert said:

They've specifically said the UK is excluded from the ban. I wonder if European nations will make you quarantine for 14 days when you get there now? 

The ban started as Europe then the EU then the Schengen area. Of course several EU countries are not in the Schengen area and they all have land borders with Schengen. Not Eire but the ferries and planes are still running and there is right of passage through the UK. The UK exclusion will only last until the number of infections ramps up. We are behind the curve on testing and only had the capacity to do 1,500 tests per day. They are rolling out a new programme this week which should increase the capacity to 10,000 tests per day. We are likely to move from the containment phase of our response to the delay phase soon. When that happens I expect to see travel and social restrictions. We could in a worst case scenario see a large part of the world locked down. Forget about this summers cruise season.

Edited by davecttr

6 hours ago, ela05 said:

Hi, in Italy we have very strict measures to limit contagion: restaurants, bars, schools, universities, are closed, only shops selling primary goods are open, museums, churches, all closed, it is strictly forbidden to go out from home if not necessary, you can go buy food or to work (if your workplace is open), you can walk your dog, but only very close to home. I really hope that every other country in Europe (and not only in Europe) will do the same, by now they are not, and it is worrying, because all of this will be useless if foreign countries will continue to allow the virus to spread...it's not time to underestimate the situation anymore.

Hope to see you soon in my beautiful country, when all those who share a passion for travel will be able to move around the world again.

Good luck to you and yes, we will be back!

11 hours ago, davecttr said:

The ban started as Europe then the EU then the Schengen area. Of course several EU countries are not in the Schengen area and they all have land borders with Schengen. Not Eire but the ferries and planes are still running and there is right of passage through the UK. 

The difference is, to go to an EU, non-Schengen country, you have to appear before an officer of the government.  So at least someone sees you.

From Schengen to Schenegen, there is NO contact with any one.  Just like you went to the store.

Not necessarily enough to make a difference, but at least SOME distinction.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SRF said:

The difference is, to go to an EU, non-Schengen country, you have to appear before an officer of the government.  So at least someone sees you.

From Schengen to Schenegen, there is NO contact with any one.  Just like you went to the store.

Not necessarily enough to make a difference, but at least SOME distinction.

unfortunately this is no longer true.  Several Schengen countries have closed their borders.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2020 at 3:50 AM, ela05 said:

Your country is beautiful indeed.  That's why I have visited Italy at least half a dozen time for 10 days a stay and feel very fortunate to have done so.