Sad News for old time X fans, Michel Roux passes

dkjretired

2 hours ago, floridatravelersforlife said:

To us, the epitome of Celebrity food was the Normandie restaurant on the Millenium? with Michel Roux recipes  prepared tableside by Waiters in Tails.  The Dover Sole and Beef Wellington were memorable along with the flaming desserts.     

I agree with you however I am pretty sure that Normandie was on Summit while Millennium's specialty restaurant was the Olympic Restaurant.  

Normandie Restaurant 2010-08-12_6.JPG

Tableside preparation of the Filet Mignon Special, Normandie Restaurant, Summit

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 1

I haven't posted on this forum in a long, long, long time but had to chime in as well.  The food back then was

fabulous for sure.....taste and presentation.

May He Rest in Peace.

41 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

Yes, we were able to teach our kids formal place setting etiquette in the MDR!  The old Celebrity place settings had an X logo on the rim of the plates. The MDR staff was trained to make sure that the X was always at the 12 o'clock position.  A couple times I would demonstrate that for our kids by deliberately rotating my dinner plate so that the X was no longer in that position.  Within a few minutes the assistant waiter would rotate it back into place.  

That’s a good point, it wasn’t just the food but the service, we had the same thing with our kids. Four people took care of you with less tables than they have now. Also, not to start anything but the dress code was for everyone including kids for the entire evening. If you didn’t dress up you ate in your room as there were no specialties and the buffet wasn’t open for dinner.  We have great pictures of our son in a tux and daughter in beautiful dresses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

I haven't posted on this forum in a long, long, long time but had to chime in as well.  The food back then was

fabulous for sure.....taste and presentation.

May He Rest in Peace.

Hi, Lois.  I miss seeing your posts.  I guess this is like the cyber version of a funeral bringing old acquaintances back together again.

46 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

Hi, Lois.  I miss seeing your posts.  I guess this is like the cyber version of a funeral bringing old acquaintances back together again.

Thanks..……..hope you are doing well.

When we first started cruising years ago Celebrity was known for the best food. While the MDR was great, we always had at least one meal in the specialty restaurants & loved the Normandy and Olympic. I also enjoyed some of the souvenirs on display outside those restaurants  for eg, the wooden panels from one of those ships (was it the Olympic, sister ship to the Titanic ?)    

We started sailing Celebrity in 1991 when the Horizon first sailed out of New York.  We were so impressed with how big she was-44,00 tons.  We looked forward to dinner every night to be surprised by the Chef's creations.  My wife couldn't decide on which soup to order so, every night, the chefs brought out each one for her.  The baked products were outstanding.  Service was exemplary.  Food service was provided by Apollo Ship Chandlers which they continued until they were taken over by Royal Caribbean.  Our waiter on the Galaxy, who went on to become a Maitre 'd, explained the whole history of Celebrity dining when we reconnected many years later.  Michel Roux was a hands on Chef who occasionally sailed early on.  He was able to create true gourmet food for the masses.  Although he has been gone from Celebrity for years, those early Celebrity fans knew his talents well.  Rest In Peace. 

On 3/12/2020 at 8:17 PM, Tenderpaw said:

Anyone else remember "Celebrity Dressing" for salads?  OMG, i loved that stuff.  I'm pretty sure its gone now...

Celebrity dressing lives on, not quite the same but very close. 

• 3 years later...
On 3/13/2020 at 9:42 AM, mahdnc said:

Yes, we were able to teach our kids formal place setting etiquette in the MDR!  The old Celebrity place settings had an X logo on the rim of the plates. The MDR staff was trained to make sure that the X was always at the 12 o'clock position.  A couple times I would demonstrate that for our kids by deliberately rotating my dinner plate so that the X was no longer in that position.  Within a few minutes the assistant waiter would rotate it back into place.  

old thread but great memories!

I often remember that plate turning thing! Staff was impeccably trained.,, to the highest standards.

Food service, quality and presentation under M Roux...will never be equalled!  He helped make CELEBRITY CRUISES great...back then. All downhill after him.  I still ask for the Celebrity Dressing.  

Rest in peace! 

PS Hi to Lois R and many long ago X fans!

images.png

Edited by hcat
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, hcat said:

old thread but great memories!

I often remember that plate turning thing! Staff was impeccably trained.,, to the highest standards.

Food service, quality and presentation under M Roux...will never be equalled!  He helped make CELEBRITY CRUISES great...back then. All downhill after him.  I still ask for the Celebrity Dressing.  

Rest in peace! 

PS Hi to Lois R and many long ago X fans!

images.png

I think today's plates are devoid of any logo or pattern for that matter.

Some other touches that I liked back then was the physical dessert tray that was brought out when your dessert options were described to you.  Also when my wife asked for tea, a nice dark wood box with different kinds of tea bags for her to choose from was presented at the dinner table.

• Like 3