For those on cruises with San Diego departures

San Diego public officials have just declared (3-12-2020) the County of San Diego to be an area of community transmission of the virus and have recommended that all individuals over the age of 60 minimize being in areas that involve contact with the public. They have also ordered the cancellation of gatherings involving 250 or more individuals. I have no idea how this will be dealt with by Holland America concerning their scheduled departures.

Edited by Former Non-cruiser
punctuation

39 minutes ago, Former Non-cruiser said:

San Diego public officials have just declared (3-12-2020) the County of San Diego to be an area of community transmission of the virus and have recommended that all individuals over the age of 60 minimize being in areas that involve contact with the public. They have also ordered the cancellation of gatherings involving 250 or more individuals. I have no idea how this will be dealt with by Holland America concerning their scheduled departures.

HAL won't have a choice is the county closes the cruise port.  The state Maryland closed the Baltimore cruise port today and likely it won't be the last. 

No security staff at the scanning machines?

Check-in onboard the ship?

Carry your own luggage onboard?

Just about everyone working at the pier in San Diego is over 60 yrs.

David

P.S.  But the County doesn't do anything about the homeless downtown.....or regularly sanitize the public restrooms along the bayfront.

Edited by DAllenTCY
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

We're on B2B2B on Oosterdam. Heading back to San Diego on Saturday.

We got a notice today that we can check in for immigration at Half moon room early Saturday morning and if we chose, we do not have to disembark at all. 

What about the passengers disembarking in San Diego.  Have they give them any special instructions?

37 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

We got a notice today that we can check in for immigration at Half moon room early Saturday morning and if we chose, we do not have to disembark at all. 

Well,  apparently as of today,  HAL has no intention of canceling this cruise even with French Polynesian ports closed. 

Thanks for the update. 

2 hours ago, Former Non-cruiser said:

Won't have any impact whatsoever, so please fanning the flames! 🙄

• Like 1

It's just a matter of time.

The next shoe will drop soon.   

Suspicion is that paper money can transmit the virus... as well as your luggage.

Try giving your credit card to a longshoreman.

David

Edited by DAllenTCY
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KroozNut said:

Won't have any impact whatsoever, so please fanning the flames! 🙄

I'm surprised to hear you say that, KroozNut. It actually might impact.  No flames intended.  

I listened to a radio broadcast that the local officials did today here in San Diego.  It's serious time.  There is now community transmission and agencies are gearing up.  All of my kids and their spouses, etc. are now instructed by their employers to work from home.  And, of course, we over-60s are told to stay home, which we are doing.

I would think there may be some impact on port activities here in San Diego.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We were in San Diego last weekend after we got off the Oosterdam on Saturday the 7th. We watched THOUSANDS of young ppl walk by us to the CRSSD Festiveal (a 3 day festival, and not 1 artist that I recognized...must be too old at 52!)  San Diego had the opportunity to cancel but did not.  Wonder how many were infected?  This photo is of those just waiting to get in! 

crssd.jpg

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, DAllenTCY said:

Are they restricting trolley riders?  NO.

Are they worried about Amtrak?  NO.

Maybe thinking about jails?  NO.

Worried about airplanes?  NO.

Just cruise ships.

David

That's right -- because even one positive case on a cruise ship gives them 2000+ people to quarantine. Miramar is already getting full. Texas doesn't want anyone back who isn't from Texas. 

And they are working on plans for jails, actually. https://www.kusi.com/sd-county-jails-prepare-for-possible-coronavirus-outbreak/. They've also now suspended visits to jails.

Amtrak is running very light passenger loads. Airplanes are also very short on passengers right now. Can't speak to the trolley, but I'd say that there is a lot of effort to provide social distancing right now. 

It isn't all about the cruise ships/cruisers.

Edited by arabrab
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

After Oostie in two days, Eurodam, on the way from the Hawaiian islands, is scheduled back into San Diego next Wednesday 

There are many places closing down.  All the colleges and universities in our area are closed.  Some of the public schools have shut down.  I understand that DisneyLand, DisneyWorld and I think Disney Cruise lines have all shut down.

I cancelled my appointment for today -- I am way over 70 and I don't want to sit around in a waiting room with other people.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

There are many places closing down.  All the colleges and universities in our area are closed.  Some of the public schools have shut down.  I understand that DisneyLand, DisneyWorld and I think Disney Cruise lines have all shut down.

I cancelled my appointment for today -- I am way over 70 and I don't want to sit around in a waiting room with other people.

it looks like Disney has canceled all its cruises out of San Diego but this article says HAL is still planning to sail.  I think I might be safer on the Oosterdam than home, but I don't want to fly all the way to San Diego tonight only to have my cruise canceled tomorrow.  https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/tourism/story/2020-03-12/princess-cruises-is-the-first-to-cancel-sailings-out-of-san-diego

3 hours ago, TN Fem said:

it looks like Disney has canceled all its cruises out of San Diego but this article says HAL is still planning to sail.  I think I might be safer on the Oosterdam than home, but I don't want to fly all the way to San Diego tonight only to have my cruise canceled tomorrow.  https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/tourism/story/2020-03-12/princess-cruises-is-the-first-to-cancel-sailings-out-of-san-diego

Holland America, which operates the most cruises out San Diego’s cruise ship terminals, said Thursday its scheduled sailings will continue, with the exception of already announced cancellations of Asia voyages.

• Like 1

Re: Oosterdam docking on March 14th in San Diego. 700 new passengers will board per officer at Explorations this morning for 1 week Mex Riv. As to our South Pacific following this week, staff are getting multi updates throughout the day. They are watching Maasdam currently to see what ports will open to them.

I'll be at Captain QA. By the way, we still have our OBC that rolls over tomorrow that HAL gave us for staying on our cruise. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

For those like me who do coastals between SD and Vancouver, Canada also just banned cruise ships from their ports, meaning the ships relocating for the Alaska season won't be able to do a Canadian port stop in order to comply with the law. The only option open to HAL now would be to include a stop in Ensenada before heading north, but then if there won't be any Alaska season until July (since ships can't leave from Vancouver or do a mandatory stop in a foreign port), there's no sense of moving the ships north. It should be a fun time at HAL HQ now, especially since it's in Seattle. 

14 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

After Oostie in two days, Eurodam, on the way from the Hawaiian islands, is scheduled back into San Diego next Wednesday 

It will be interesting if pax disembarking are quickly shuttled away from the pier to protect them from local transmission......

• Like 2