Where does Royal park their ships while service is suspended?

1 minute ago, time4u2go said:

Does anyone know?

I presume if there are slots available, they will tie up wherever their last cruise terminates. Port Canaveral can currently accommodate 6-7 ships, so with two Disney, two RCL, one NCL, and two Carnival currently home porting there, the port will be full. The only other potential slots in PC are the new Carnival Terminal, and the commercial shipping docks. I imagine the other Florida ports are also going to be at capacity.

They will also rotate to bringing supplies to CoCo Cay since some folks live there full time. 

They won’t just tie up somewhere for 30 days. 

Edited by mac_tlc

22 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

They will also rotate to bringing supplies to CoCo Cay since some folks live there full time. 

They won’t just tie up somewhere for 30 days. 

I would imagine that the majority of shoreside staff on Coco Cay will be relocating to their homes once the island is buttoned down. I doubt there will be much more than a skeleton crew remaining on the island to maintain the various systems that need to stay running.

8 minutes ago, FLACRUISER99 said:

I agree a lot of folks don't realize cargo is also off loaded when the cruise ships aren't there.

Are you sure about that.  There are specific cargo areas with specialized cranes, equipment and facilities for offloading cargo.  Cruise ship docks with their passenger terminals are not conducive to offloading cargo ships nor are piers at most tourist ports. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Are you sure about that.  There are specific cargo areas with specialized cranes, equipment and facilities for offloading cargo.  Cruise ship docks with their passenger terminals are not conducive to offloading cargo ships nor are piers at most tourist ports. 

Yes, not large tankers and cargo but small Bahamas vessels that look like WWII landing craft.

2 hours ago, orville99 said:

I would imagine that the majority of shoreside staff on Coco Cay will be relocating to their homes once the island is buttoned down. I doubt there will be much more than a skeleton crew remaining on the island to maintain the various systems that need to stay running.

Someone on Independence said that the ships would be used on a rotating basis to supply CoCoCay. It will be interesting to see where the ships are they next 30 days. I hope marine traffic is up to date .

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc

The ship we were set to sail on today left Port Everglades about an hour and a half ago (sadly without us or any other passengers).  Not sure where she is going, but they must need the terminal for a ship coming in tomorrow to disembark.