March 15 Santiago to San Diego cancelled a few hours ago

Margarita Jane

Apparently people on our cruise got an email and/or text this afternoon - less than 24 hours before boarding. I haven’t received either yet, but checked Celebrity's website and our cruise is listed. Gonna cost $$$$ to get out of Santiago, for refund or 125% FCC? That definitely doesn’t come close to covering airfare and accommodation for getting out of Santiago. I think since we were suppose to end in San Diego, Celebrity should pay to get us there.

• Like 2

As of early today, the cruise was cancelled when Celebrity extended its cancellations from US departures only to worldwide.  It is amazing how fast things are changing.  It was only yesterday afternoon when the more limited cancellations were announced.

Hopefully Celebrity will help you return home.  

• Like 1

Did you book your flights with Celebrity Air, if so they should help.  If not call the Emergency Services number they may be able to help.  
From what I read this is a global shutdown of cruise ships, not Celebrity alone. 

• Like 1

Here's the deal with Chile.

1.  Silverseas Silver Explorer in quarantine.  British passenger tested positive.

2.  Azamara Pursuit refused arrival by Chile due to "suspected" virus cases onboard.

• Like 2

Almost 8:00am here in Santiago, and still no email from Celebrity telling me the cruise was cancelled. I have seen what was sent out, but a bit upset that I haven’t received official notification.

We have flights back to Florida, assuming we don’t get hung up along the way. 

Unless you booked your flights through Celebrity, their emergency travel number is useless! San Antonio is a remote location. It is easier to get a ride there than a ride back. Celebrity’s emergency rep told us, in so many words, we were on our own. Send them receipts and maybe they reimburse us for part of the travel. This is atrocious. They have buses at the pier for people on the ship. They could have provided an additional bus to help those waiting for the cruise to get back to Santiago.

They are flying by the seat of their pants. No one is sitting down and rationally thinking of the logistics involved in displacing thousands of people. Even their offer of a full refund, which they already owe us, without a guaranteed percentage off a future cruise for our inconvenience is shameful. The only way you get a percentage off a future cruise is if they don’t refund your money. You don’t get any compensation for the loss of the cruise, their extremely late notice of the canceling of this cruise and being stranded in a city with few options. This is the poorest customer service I have ever seen with Celebrity and I am appalled!

• Like 2

Currently on the Eclipse. Going around in circles outside of the port of San Antonio since wee hours of the morning as Chile has refused us entry. 

Captain Leo assures is no one on board has the virus and no one is under quarantine. 

Yesterday was pandemonium with the B2B people scrambling to make alternate reservations.  We did not book Celebrity air and were told you are on your own - after waiting on line for three hours when they said they were offering help. Their staff was useless and clueless. Different information coming from different staffers all the way up to 3 1/2 stripers. 

Have a very expensive one way flight for tomorrow back to the states. 

Captain Just came on loudspeaker request DOB, passport and flight info for passengers. No reason why. 

We shall see. Very tense on board. 

• Like 1

As long as there would be no CV onboard, I wonder if it would have made more sense that every cruise ship already at sea which has been denied a port, should have remained at sea allowing a cruise to nowhere...many sea days...but at least arriving back at disembarkation port where cruisers could access their booked air flight home.  No panic to arrange alternate flights, more expense, etc. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, oceangoer2 said:

As long as there would be no CV onboard, I wonder if it would have made more sense that every cruise ship already at sea which has been denied a port, should have remained at sea allowing a cruise to nowhere...many sea days...but at least arriving back at disembarkation port where cruisers could access their booked air flight home.  No panic to arrange alternate flights, more expense, etc. 

Seems logical in theory but probably not all allowed to dock where the cruise ends. Also with lots of sea days may not have enough provisions on board for that number of people. 

13 minutes ago, delondin said:

Seems logical in theory but probably not all allowed to dock where the cruise ends. Also with lots of sea days may not have enough provisions on board for that number of people. 

Not sure where they could go if Chile does not allow them to dock.   All the way back to Buenos Aires where the cruise started?  Peru?

49 minutes ago, lostchild said:

Not sure where they could go if Chile does not allow them to dock.   All the way back to Buenos Aires where the cruise started?  Peru?

Maybe to San Diego where the next cruise was supposed to go.  Straight up, no stops?

1 hour ago, delondin said:

My thought was the cruise would continue to the exact port their cruise AND day was intended to complete, not at an in-between port.  The ship would have already been committed to that port...eg...FLL or Miami or whichever.  The cruisers would have already had their flights booked for home.  I did consider the provisions;  if they didn't have to replenish during the cruise they would already have enough on board.  If ports were closed to that replenishment,  they may have been able to portion meals (horrors! think of the waste they must have on 'normal' cruising) or somehow redesign menus......they could have made those provisions last until the cruise ended.  Just seemed logical to me rather than bringing all the ships in almost at the same time which must have been a logistics nightmare with certain ships having booked berthing on that day and all trying to park on a day not pre-booked for them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, oceangoer2 said:

My thought was the cruise would continue to the exact port their cruise AND day was intended to complete, not at an in-between port.  The ship would have already been committed to that port...eg...FLL or Miami or whichever.  The cruisers would have already had their flights booked for home.  I did consider the provisions;  if they didn't have to replenish during the cruise they would already have enough on board.  If ports were closed to that replenishment,  they may have been able to portion meals (horrors! think of the waste they must have on 'normal' cruising) or somehow redesign menus......they could have made those provisions last until the cruise ended.  Just seemed logical to me rather than bringing all the ships in almost at the same time which must have been a logistics nightmare with certain ships having booked berthing on that day and all trying to park on a day not pre-booked for them.

I understand where they are now is where the cruise should have ended with onward flights booked from there but the port won’t let them in

7 minutes ago, delondin said:

I understand where they are now is where the cruise should have ended with onward flights booked from there but the port won’t let them in

I was speaking generally re stateside homeports.  Sorry for the vagueness but I've read so much today that I'm confusing myself along with everyone else.

Edited by oceangoer2

What an absolute cluster for BOTH the onboard passengers and those stranded at the port in a foreign country!!  This is totally unacceptable on so many levels, it just boggles my brain. 

C'mon Celebrity and Chile... get it together and take care of these passengers!

@Margarita Jane

@arubamoose

Please keep us updated, and we wish you lots of patience and safe travels!

3 hours ago, oceangoer2 said:

edit:  sorry i see it was already answered.

the cruise was to end in San Antonio the original disembarkation port.  However since ship can not dock they can't get off and get those flights.

Those on the b2b that were on the next leg were assured friday evening that the cruise was go from San Antonio to San Diego.  The next day at 3 pm (just over 12 hours before next flight) they cancelled the March 15 cruise.  

Everyone on b2b booked flights home from Santiago.  But many probably have missed those flights too.

A real s...t show.

I am flying out tomorrow after cruise was cancelled.  

Edited by vickie_bernie

50 minutes ago, vickie_bernie said:

edit:  sorry i see it was already answered.

the cruise was to end in San Antonio the original disembarkation port.  However since ship can not dock they can't get off and get those flights.

Those on the b2b that were on the next leg were assured friday evening that the cruise was go from San Antonio to San Diego.  The next day at 3 pm (just over 12 hours before next flight) they cancelled the March 15 cruise.  

Everyone on b2b booked flights home from Santiago.  But many probably have missed those flights too.

A real s...t show.

I am flying out tomorrow after cruise was cancelled.  

So sorry!  Really!!  very distressful.