I’ve seen enough, I cancelled

jknc

We’re 75+ days out.

I took the credit. 

With 600+ Covid19 cases in NY and people still crowding at bars like it’s no big deal, parts of cities in New York and now New Jersey on lockdown, I find zero reason to take my family to Manhattan and sail from Bayonne on 5/31. 

I’m more concerned about the NYC metro being a cesspool than I am the cruise. 

Took 4+ hours to speak to someone at Royal today.  Let’s pray they don’t go bankrupt and a credit has some value.

To all those who do sail, Cheers!!

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, jknc said:

We’re 75+ days out.

I took the credit. 

With 600+ Covid19 cases in NY and people still crowding at bars like it’s no big deal, parts of cities in New York and now New Jersey on lockdown, I find zero reason to take my family to Manhattan and sail from Bayonne on 5/31. 

Took 4+ hours to speak to someone at Royal today.  Let’s pray they don’t go bankrupt and a credit has some value.

Good decision.  DW commutes to Manhattan 5 days a week and also relies on a bus to get to the hospital where she works. The Dr she works for called tonight and told her that he's going to call the administrator and request that she work from home. He doesn't want her commuting.  

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 4

46 minutes ago, jknc said:

We’re 75+ days out.

I took the credit. 

wow that is a long time.  Too bad IT dept can't do on line.  And now they are closed for the day.

But I understand your decision.  Perhaps take a nice driving trip up to New England.  Hey drive to Columbus OHIO and visit that wonderful zoo.

• Like 1

Kids were really looking forward to a broadway show and a couple nights in Manhattan. 

I pray it’s not bad but looking at what’s happening in Europe you can’t help but think the same is coming to NYC. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jknc said:

Kids were really looking forward to a broadway show and a couple nights in Manhattan. 

I pray it’s not bad but looking at what’s happening in Europe you can’t help but think the same is coming to NYC. 

We have cancelled our May cruise too.  We will rebook once things calm down.  Everything is closed in Boston too so don't head this way either. 

• Like 2

We decided this afternoon that we are not going on our 4/13 cruise barring a miracle end of this thing.  I won't cancel at this point in case they end up cancelling for a longer period.  I would rather have the refund than FCC at this point.  

The tipping point is the thought of being on a ship and someone being infected...

We are working on some other plans and a staycation...we will see what happens.

Good luck everyone!

• Like 3

Personally I’m not concerned about being quarantined on ship as we had 2 balcony rooms on Oasis. 

The flight, virus spread has me more concerned. 

Am I jumping the gun? Perhaps. But peace of mind has no price. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, jknc said:

Personally I’m not concerned about being quarantined on ship as we had 2 balcony rooms on Oasis. 

The flight, virus spread has me more concerned. 

Am I jumping the gun? Perhaps. But peace of mind has no price. 

You need to do what works best for your family.  We have been quarantined on a ship in the past and it gets old quickly.  I can't imagine what it would be like for a whole ship to be quarantined.  Part of the reason we cancelled was because of a policy change at my husbands company.  If we cruised, he was required to self quarantine at home for two weeks on our return.  He would be able to do some work at home but it is hard to manage without being in the plant.  We also have other issues that make cancelling a better choice.

There is just too much uncertainty as to what is going to happen in the next few months and I am sleeping better knowing we have made our decision and will cruise later this year if all has calmed down.  Some are ready to cruise as soon as the ships start sailing again and that is great for them, but we feel best waiting until things get back to some kind of normal.

Stay healthy!

• Like 2

Countries with higher new Covid19 case counts than US in past 24 hours all have one thing in common: they’ve all gone on total lockdown.

Now Golden Princess is being held off New Zealand; with every passing day some cruise lines look closer and closer to bankruptcy.

On 3/14/2020 at 10:20 PM, TexasRon said:

We decided this afternoon that we are not going on our 4/13 cruise barring a miracle end of this thing.  I won't cancel at this point in case they end up cancelling for a longer period.  I would rather have the refund than FCC at this point.  

The tipping point is the thought of being on a ship and someone being infected...

We are working on some other plans and a staycation...we will see what happens.

Good luck everyone!

We are on the Oasis April 12.  I cancelled all extras and am waiting until the very end to cancel the cruise.  I think Royal is playing chicken and so will I.  They know they should not sail but are being irresponsibly  greedy.  If I cancel now, they will sell my cabin to to some other misguided passenger, and I think this is wrong on so many levels.

• Like 1

We are on the Oasis April 12.  I cancelled all extras and am waiting until the very end to cancel the cruise.  I think Royal is playing chicken and so will I.  They know they should not sail but are being irresponsibly  greedy.  If I cancel now, they will sell my cabin to to some other misguided passenger, and I think this is wrong on so many levels.

All April sailings will get cancelled along with all of May. On Monday the CDC said social distancing needs to last 8 weeks and maybe longer. That alone is middle of May. June is the earliest I think they will resume cruising and if I was betting I would say July.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Builder31 said:

All April sailings will get cancelled along with all of May. On Monday the CDC said social distancing needs to last 8 weeks and maybe longer. That alone is middle of May. June is the earliest I think they will resume cruising and if I was betting I would say July.

Lol,this crap with everyone thinking they know whats going to happen has to stop. The 8 week distancing isnt something every business has to do. Its a guideline. Imagine what this economy wouldbe like if this goes past march 31st? Stop with the crystal ball crap. You are guessing plain and simple. Dont add to the panic.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Judyrem said:

Greedy? No trying to stay a float. How bout you quit your job for the next 3 months and see what your financial situation is... just cancel your cruise and sit in your basement till july and then maybe come out if your that paranoid

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, rtazz17 said:

Lol,this crap with everyone thinking they know whats going to happen has to stop. The 8 week distancing isnt something every business has to do. Its a guideline. Imagine what this economy wouldbe like if this goes past march 31st? Stop with the crystal ball crap. You are guessing plain and simple. Dont add to the panic.

I'm with you. The stipulations exempt airports. There was like a 4 hour jam up at our air port last saturday blamed on extra screening.

We dont have a port in dallas, or it probably would be exempt from the gathering rule.

Yep restaurants events churches shutdown, but the airport is exempt.

Assuming it applies to ports ... no one knows what will happen, though a good chance shut down if cases in mexico and elsewhere continue to grow.

8 minutes ago, rtazz17 said:

Greedy? No trying to stay a float. How bout you quit your job for the next 3 months and see what your financial situation is... just cancel your cruise and sit in your basement till july and then maybe come out if your that paranoid

Not the same thing at all, they are using my money for a product I have not, or will not use and that is not right IMO.

I used to be quite skeptical about this whole pandemic issue, but after reading as much as possible from many different sources, I believe it is a truly frightening situation.

You can take my place April 12 and good luck to you.

• Like 1

So you don’t think the cruise lines will follow the guidelines? In many states it is now illegal to have a gathering of more than 10.

4 minutes ago, Judyrem said:

Not the same thing at all, they are using my money for a product I have not, or will not use and that is not right IMO.

I used to be quite skeptical about this whole pandemic issue, but after reading as much as possible from many different sources, I believe it is a truly frightening situation.

You can take my place April 12 and good luck to you.

I'm april 26, but not upset with rcl.

I'm assuming they are busy with the last 30 days batch of cancellations. When they catch up, the next 30 days might be cancelled. I hear they are very very busy.

I just read on the carnival board refunds can take up to 90 days!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Builder31 said:

So you don’t think the cruise lines will follow the guidelines? In many states it is now illegal to have a gathering of more than 10.

Nope, as long as air ports are exempt, why would I assume ports arent exempt.

High rises and something else here are also exempt.

But actually I do think the next 30 days will be cancelled due to more cases. After they get thru this batch of cancellations... but not because of this rule of 10 people allowed.

Edited by firefly333

I have two cruises in May that I suspect will not sail. I do not want a future cruise credit so I’m waiting for the cruise line to cancel so that I can get my cruise fare money back  

One of those two cruises was “paid for“ with future cruise credit from a cruise Royal Caribbean canceled last August. Not sure how that will work out 
m

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Nope, as long as air ports are exempt, why would I assume ports arent exempt.

High rises and something else here are also exempt.

But actually I do think the next 30 days will be cancelled due to more cases. After they get thru this batch of cancellations... but not because of this rule of 10 people allowed.

I think one thing we are missing here is that many ports will be closed for 60 days.

We can't just hang out at Coco Cay, even though it is very nice.😉

I really was looking forward to my cruise with my granddaughter, I had so many fun things planned for us and I am heart sore that I have to cancel.😔

On 3/14/2020 at 9:13 PM, jknc said:

We’re 75+ days out.

I took the credit. 

We canceled as well out Alaskan Cruise in June. First reason is because of the Canadian port closing. RC is dragging their feet on communicating to us. The least you could do is acknowledge the announcement has caused concern. The second is the 90 day 100% refund window. We'd rather have all our money back and decide how we want to vacation when all this is over rather than a lesser amount later. Third, if we took the FCC who's to say we'd get to use it by next Dec? Most people book their cruises over a year out and now everyone from this cruise season is supposed to try and find a cruise next year or lose it? Good luck. Finally, there is the possibility of them clearing the cruise just to get money and it starts all over. Just wait it out.

• Like 1