CDC recommends no gatherings of 50+ for 8 weeks

jknc

1 hour ago, Shipof6Fools said:

HalfHand, COVID-19 is not "something totally new". Human coronaviruses were first identified in the mid-1960s, and include the SARS and MERS outbreak. As a matter of fact people around the world often get infected with four other common human coronaviruses – 229E, NL63, OC43 and HKU1.

I understand all that, however:

A novel coronavirus is a new coronavirus that has not been previously identified. The virus causing coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), is not the same as the coronaviruses that commonly circulate among humans and cause mild illness, like the common cold.

A diagnosis with coronavirus 229E, NL63, OC43, or HKU1 is not the same as a COVID-19 diagnosis. Patients with COVID-19 will be evaluated and cared for differently than patients with common coronavirus diagnosis.

Straight from the CDC website

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/faq.html

People here accuse me of being a "Know it All". Being "Snarky". To get that info I just posted above, I googled "what is a novel coronavirus". First link after the pictures and hand washing video was the FAQ page for the CDC. This information is out there. 

What you just posted is literally disinformation.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, smalltimecruiser100 said:

Now down to 10 people to gather......whats next but had to be done!

"Whats next but had to be done"  Self Isolation especially if over 60 if you can, Only go out if you have to, aka work, food, medicine.  DO IT NOW, FLATTEN THE CURVE!

Edited by Newleno

1 hour ago, Shipof6Fools said:

HalfHand, COVID-19 is not "something totally new". Human coronaviruses were first identified in the mid-1960s, and include the SARS and MERS outbreak. As a matter of fact people around the world often get infected with four other common human coronaviruses – 229E, NL63, OC43 and HKU1.

Yes, and if you believe that COVID-19 is the same then you are sadly wrong.  

21 minutes ago, HalfHand said:

I understand all that, however:

A novel coronavirus is a new coronavirus that has not been previously identified. The virus causing coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), is not the same as the coronaviruses that commonly circulate among humans and cause mild illness, like the common cold.

A diagnosis with coronavirus 229E, NL63, OC43, or HKU1 is not the same as a COVID-19 diagnosis. Patients with COVID-19 will be evaluated and cared for differently than patients with common coronavirus diagnosis.

Straight from the CDC website

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/faq.html

People here accuse me of being a "Know it All". Being "Snarky". To get that info I just posted above, I googled "what is a novel coronavirus". First link after the pictures and hand washing video was the FAQ page for the CDC. This information is out there. 

What you just posted is literally disinformation.

Logic is just too much for some.  Virtual foot bump to you.🙂

• Like 1

They will have to bailout the airlines and other industries before cruising.  There are going to be some big ones that don't survive.  

I’m now inclined to agree with you

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

15 minutes ago, gold said:

I’m now inclined to agree with you

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This looks more realistic by the day.

What European countries are doing now to mitigate the financial damage is remarkable. 

With ALL DUE RESPECT to current military and veterans this battle is WWIII, and all we have to do to win is STAY HOME.

HalfHand I agree with you that a diagnosis with coronavirus 229E, NL63, OC43, or HKU1 is not the same as a COVID-19 diagnosis. Perhaps I should have left those out of my post.

The CDC website also states (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/types.html):

Other human coronaviruses

1. MERS-CoV (the beta coronavirus that causes Middle East Respiratory Syndrome, or MERS)
  2. SARS-CoV (the beta coronavirus that causes severe acute respiratory syndrome, or SARS)
  3. SARS-CoV-2 (the novel coronavirus that causes coronavirus disease 2019, or COVID-19)

People around the world commonly get infected with human coronaviruses 229E, NL63, OC43, and HKU1.

Sometimes coronaviruses that infect animals can evolve and make people sick and become a new human coronavirus. Three recent examples of this are 2019-nCoV, SARS-CoV, and MERS-CoV.

So I stand by my point this is not "something totally new". So this is a new evolution of coronavirus (not the common coronavirus 229E, NL63, OC43, or HKU1), just like there are new strains of flu every year.  But by all means lets continue to panic.

Oh and thanks for the insult A&L.

3 hours ago, jknc said:

Because of science and data based on how many hospital beds, ICU beds, respirators, etc.

Look at what’s happening in Northern Italy, it’s absolutely sobering. The exact same thing is coming to multiple areas of the US. 

Wake up folks, this is unprecedented. 

The worse part of this is that without testing the results aren't in yet. Once they have more test the numbers are going to climb  People are walking around with no symptoms and they could be carrying it.  My wife's co worker was tested today. Since they work in hospital administration  their tests are pushed ahead of everyone else. My wife is working from home until further notice.  The reason they have to close all public venues such as restaurants, bars and gyms is because people still believe that this is a hoax that the media is hyping. 

• Like 3

ALERT

"CDC recommends that travelers defer all cruise travel worldwide"

"Cruise travelers should stay home for 14 days after returning from travel"

Edited by jknc
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, basktchic said:

NC Governor is having all bars and restaurants close as of 5pm today except for delivery and take out. 

Welcome to the world where DoorDash, Uber Eats, and Grubhub are your lifeline!  I've been impressed with what some of these food deliver services are doing.  DoorDash has implemented a process where you can tell the delivery person where to leave your food.  The app will notify you when the food is there.  No need to interact with the delivery person:

image.png.7dd6f41ae17ecddce8ea4097d1ad96a8.png

Grubhub is also doing contact-free delivery and deferring commission fees for some independent restaurants to help keep them afloat:

image.thumb.png.ae38272e262f075f5e7f9aee92bcc974.png

I also saw a great idea somewhere (may have been one of the many CC threads)...if you can afford it, buy gift cards from your local restaurants.  This will help give them cashflow in a time when they made need it to stay alive.  You can always cash in the gift card later.

Everyone needs to do their share!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Shipof6Fools said:

...just like there are new strains of flu every year

I’m not really interested in arguing, but to be fair...a new strain of flu usually still has some genetic code from an old strain of flu. This is classifies as a Coronavirus but it is novel because it doesn’t share any genetic coding with any other previously identified Coronavirus which is why there is no immunity to it. If you are exposed to it...you get it...at least that is the concern...that no one has any immunity at all to it because it is NOVEL...aka something totally new.

The fear may be out of proportion to how severely the virus may affect the vast majority of the population but the fact remains that there are a significant number of people who could require significant medical intervention to fight off the virus.

Also of concern is the fact that there isn’t certainty with immunization following having it, or rather, how long that immunity would last. Other Coronavirus immunities vary, being as short as one year.

We will have significant headway when a test is developed that can show whether or not you have HAD this virus...not just if you are currently infected. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Welcome to the world where DoorDash, Uber Eats, and Grubhub are your lifeline!  I've been impressed with what some of these food deliver services are doing.  DoorDash has implemented a process where you can tell the delivery person where to leave your food.  The app will notify you when the food is there.  No need to interact with the delivery person:

image.png.7dd6f41ae17ecddce8ea4097d1ad96a8.png

Grubhub is also doing contact-free delivery and deferring commission fees for some independent restaurants to help keep them afloat:

image.thumb.png.ae38272e262f075f5e7f9aee92bcc974.png

I also saw a great idea somewhere (may have been one of the many CC threads)...if you can afford it, buy gift cards from your local restaurants.  This will help give them cashflow in a time when they made need it to stay alive.  You can always cash in the gift card later.

Everyone needs to do their share!

if the local restaurant goes belly up you lost your money buying a gift card, I think patronage works best