CDC recommends no gatherings of 50+ for 8 weeks

jknc

2 hours ago, TexasRon said:

I am optimistic that if we all actually suck it up now, keep the group size down and have a commensurate reduction in the spread and then a downturn of the virus, we can turn the corner and start the trek back to "normal" before that long.

I hope so too, Dallas just basically shut down everything today (bars/restaurants/gyms/theaters, etc) and I'm hoping it makes a difference. Everyone needs to do their part if we want to see this thing die down.

On 3/15/2020 at 7:25 PM, Newleno said:

CDC is recommending this but yet airlines are still flying, filthy airlines, people all crammed together.  Airlines definitely the superspreader.

Actually they are not all crammed together anymore. One man said he was on a plane with just 14 people. So lots of room for social distancing as the cancelations mount up.

1 minute ago, MoniMommy said:

Actually they are not all crammed together anymore. One man said he was on a plane with just 14 people. So lots of room for social distancing as the cancelations mount up.

right, there you go.   Everyone go on a flight then visit your grandma afterwards, it is the american way

4 hours ago, TexasRon said:

I am optimistic that if we all actually suck it up now, keep the group size down and have a commensurate reduction in the spread and then a downturn of the virus, we can turn the corner and start the trek back to "normal" before that long.

Yeah, that's not how that works.

If you flatten the curve, which is absolutely necessary, no question, you extend the duration. Generally the same number of people are going to get sick, just over a longer period of time.

• Like 1

And the advantage to flattening the curve is to soften the impact to our medical providers and their ability to care for the sick.  There is talk of building new hospitals--where would the medical persons come from to staff these hospitals?  I think our best hope is reducing the onslaught to the medical community even if it takes the rest of the year.

6 hours ago, flyguyjake said:

President Trump said they are expecting this virus period to last through July-August.

So much for early Summer as some though just a few days ago. 

6 hours ago, molly361 said:

According to the President that number is now groups of 10 or less and it will be July/August before this is over

I think if that is accurate, there will still be ongoing case, just not the same level.  Like in China right now. 

39 minutes ago, HalfHand said:

If you flatten the curve, which is absolutely necessary, no question, you extend the duration. Generally the same number of people are going to get sick, just over a longer period of time.

The post below is why you want the curve flattened.  If they burn out they will just quit.  Not to mention over a longer time you can also continue to make medical supplies and maybe catch up VS having no chance at all. 

12 minutes ago, gadaboutgal said:

And the advantage to flattening the curve is to soften the impact to our medical providers and their ability to care for the sick.  There is talk of building new hospitals--where would the medical persons come from to staff these hospitals?  I think our best hope is reducing the onslaught to the medical community even if it takes the rest of the year.

11 minutes ago, Dennis#1 said:

CDC recommends no gatherings of 50+ for 8 weeks.  Does this apply to cruises?  Is a cruise considered to be a gathering?

I’d say yes.

What do you think the General Public would say when 4-5 thousand possibly infected folks get off a ship every week will say?  Multiply that how many ships are sitting idle right now.

IMO if the cruise lines want federal help, the smartest thing they can do is what they are doing now.  Laying low and not rocking the boat. 

3 minutes ago, Shipof6Fools said:

The media has fanned this fire to the point where normally sane people are losing their minds over this.

I do agree.  However, if the possible severity of this situation is driven home to reduce it, then so be it.  

IMO the sane have gotten to where they are, because the insane have bought all the needed items. Today at the grocery store many things were missing (tp etc) but the baking flower is what blew my mind. What, today is the day to bake?  Will it be jello tomorrow?  Should we put fruit in it like grandma made back in the day?

I heard a term today called COV-IDIOTS. It describes the individuals on either end of the spectrum.  They are the ones that hoard the tp, sanitizer, etc...  At the other end of the spectrum are the ones who go to large beach/street party gatherings today, knowing the outcome.  

COV-IDIOTS. Feel free to use as needed, over the months to come. 

• Like 3

I believe the cruise industry should work with the 8 week time line the CDC suggested. 

That would move the startup back another 30 days or so.  There is no way to keep the social distancing recommendations while on a ship.  If they start up sooner and more cases show up on ships they will be in a world of hurt.  Even more than they already are.  I think they probably have already made that decision but are trying to clean up the current backlog of paperwork before they create more.  They also need to figure out what they are going to deal with the closer of all Canadian ports until July 1st.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Blizzard54 said:

I believe the cruise industry should work with the 8 week time line the CDC suggested. 

That would move the startup back another 30 days or so.  There is no way to keep the social distancing recommendations while on a ship.  If they start up sooner and more cases show up on ships they will be in a world of hurt.  Even more than they already are.  I think they probably have already made that decision but are trying to clean up the current backlog of paperwork before they create more.  They also need to figure out what they are going to deal with the closer of all Canadian ports until July 1st.

Agree.  Well stated.
0E779053-7FFA-4FE0-9C32-133E5F125486.jpeg.6b42cdf017be5dff98242e41140dcc5a.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Shipof6Fools said:

I forget how many cruises were canceled over the 2009 H1N1 (swine flu) pandemic? The media has fanned this fire to the point where normally sane people are losing their minds over this.

The Swine flu was a flu. Since we have been dealing with the flu forever some people have a natural immunity to some strains. In example if the 2008 flu was an H4N1 flu then someone who was infected or got a shot in 2008 has the possibility to be immune because their body recognizes the virus (or at least part of it) and uses existing antibodies to try and kill it while still developing new H1N1 antibodies. So they get infected but they don't get sick. Because of this the transmission rate was 24%

The flu also only transmits after you are sick. So you look ill and feel ill so you stay away from people and people stay away from you.

Covid-19 is a brand new virus never seen by the human immune system before. NO ONE has a natural immunity. In theory it has a 100% transmission rate, if you are exposed you will get it. That being said, the 100% number will never be reached because of herd immunity, however, estimates are from 67% - 80% transmission rate.

Covid - 19 you are infectious for up to two weeks before you feel any symptoms, some people even after symptomatic don't feel bad enough to miss work or social functions so you mingle with the uninfected public.

That is why this is so much more dangerous than any flu. The media hasn't fanned this fire, they have done everything they can to hide it's true potential. Until very recently. The information was there, it just wasn't reported.

• Like 6

I think the cruise lines will extend the cancellations for an additional 4 weeks, at the very least.  

I just got off of a cruise.  When I boarded the cruise, I wasn't concerned a bit.  I wasn't worried about getting the virus. I am healthy.  It's not a big deal.  Then I got off of the cruise yesterday to a different world.  During that week, things blew up.  Mass closings happened all over the country.  Cruises were cancelled.  Stores ran out of everyday items as people rushed to buy things in a panic.  New cases popped up all over the US.

Many people that were on the cruise were told by their employers to stay home for two weeks.  A TSA agent who worked at the Orlando airport tested positive and that was the airport I had to use to get home.  When I got home, my dad texted me and said that because of all of his health issues, his doctor told him the virus could kill him.  My grandchildren's day care was still open, so they continued to go to school.  I decided to self quarantine.  I don't want to unknowingly spread this and risk my dad getting it.  I don't want my grandchildren to get it and pass it on to their classmates, who would pass it on to their families.  I realized this was more than just me and my health.

So, I have a cruise booked at the end of April.  I am certain the cruise line will cancel.  I will rebook for probably January even if they don't cancel the cruise.  I have no intention of traveling and returning home to sit out another 14 days.  I think the airports are hot spots.  I love cruising and can wait this out. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

I’d say yes.

What do you think the General Public would say when 4-5 thousand possibly infected folks get off a ship every week will say?  Multiply that how many ships are sitting idle right now.

IMO if the cruise lines want federal help, the smartest thing they can do is what they are doing now.  Laying low and not rocking the boat. 

Agree, Spring Break period, 100, 000 Cruise passengers scattering all over the World. US President is one met with them and asked them to stop sailing. Had to be done...prob get tax breaks or loans later. Stock market always bounces back

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, HalfHand said:

Yeah, that's not how that works.

I stated that "we can turn the corner and start the trek back to "normal" before that long."  That doesn't mean I think it will be over in  two weeks or even two months.  There is no need to always be snarky, as you have with dozens of people on this subject.  I got it. You know more than everybody.  You can state your point without telling us that all time. Yes, I am being snarky towards you a bit because I have read a lot of your comments here.

"The corner" may be a long way off, but we aren't going to turn it without slowing this down.  Turning a corner isn't saying that it will disappear overnight, or at all.  I fully understand that just letting the virus do what it will do without changing our habits for an undefined period of time (and some of them FOREVER, like actually washing your hands) would be a recipe for disaster.

"The corner" may mean no large gatherings for months and months, but some other things will normalize and we will get back to "life" in many (but not all) of the ways we want to live it.  In China they are starting to go back to work,  It doesn't mean it is over in that country, just that they have started the trek back.  

In relation to cruising, I believe we are farther off from resuming cruising than a lot of other things.

Edited by TexasRon
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Shipof6Fools said:

I forget how many cruises were canceled over the 2009 H1N1 (swine flu) pandemic? The media has fanned this fire to the point where normally sane people are losing their minds over this.

Because of science and data based on how many hospital beds, ICU beds, respirators, etc.

Look at what’s happening in Northern Italy, it’s absolutely sobering. The exact same thing is coming to multiple areas of the US. 

Wake up folks, this is unprecedented. 

• Like 2

HalfHand, COVID-19 is not "something totally new". Human coronaviruses were first identified in the mid-1960s, and include the SARS and MERS outbreak. As a matter of fact people around the world often get infected with four other common human coronaviruses – 229E, NL63, OC43 and HKU1.