for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

Did anyone see the speech Steve Kerr gave about this shooting?  I totally agree with him.  There have been laws waiting to be passed for 2 years but our senators have not acted on them.  The all get money - lots of it - from the NRA.  It’s time for them to stop taking the money and start passing laws.  Please!  Enough is enough!

• Like 1

Just now, alidor said:

Did anyone see the speech Steve Kerr gave about this shooting?  I totally agree with him.  There have been laws waiting to be passed for 2 years but our senators have not acted on them.  The all get money - lots of it - from the NRA.  It’s time for them to stop taking the money and start passing laws.  Please!  Enough is enough!

Hi, yes I saw it too.

49 minutes ago, alidor said:

I too saw it. Please let this be their call to meaningful action.

OOTD  going to be over 100 today. Dressing for that is my goal.  Not sure about make up.

I fear that the US in general is becoming numb to these murders.  "thoughts and prayers" and other words.  "we have to do something" and other words.  Give it maybe 2 weeks and it's crickets again.  It's disgusting.  I fear for my grandniece, who is an elementary teacher.  We shouldn't have to worry about our children and staff.

Steve Kerr's press conference was just powerful.  He knows personally about loss at the hands of a gunman - his father was assassinated when he was President of American University in 1984 in Beirut.  I still remember that.   He speaks out frequently on social issues.  A man with a conscience and walks his talk.

On to other things:  my ultrasound was normal.  So, I wait to see the ENT to find out what we can try to get rid of this cough.   I had my dentist appointment yesterday - easiest cleaning in years.  My dentist said that I now have the oldest intact baby tooth in his practice now.  

I did stop off at REI and TJ's after the dentist.  Anniversary sale on at REI.  I surprised myself and only bought some needed socks and a set of big tie twists (to attach my daypack to my roller bag).  Used my dividend from last year's purchases and ended up "free".   Something must have been wrong with me that I didn't get more!!   TJ's was more of a beverage run this time - low cal lemonade, watermelon cucumber, some cans of flavored sparkling tea, some sparkling waters.  Not a massive purchase this time.  

• Like 1

We were at our granddaughter’s middle school graduation when the news of the TX school shooting came thru. Everyone hugged just a bit closer. Our daughter’s first year of teaching was the year of Columbine. It hasn’t gotten better 😢

• Like 2

There's a special place in the deepest darkest level of h*** for murderers of innocent, defenseless children. I hope the suspect's stay there is long and miserable.  Those sweet kids were halfway between my grands in age and grade, so it touched me a bit more than the others have.. I just cannot imagine what those parents are going through.

I want--no, I demand--that our lawmakers that we voted to send to DC (and Raleigh/Sacramento/Atlanta/Austin, etc) to do the effing jobs we sent them to do and ACT. Now. No more innocent children need to die.

Sorry, jumps off soapbox, runs, ducks, and hides. Sorry about the politics, even though I didn't list a party.

Edited by PurpleHays
typo
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

At a hundred degrees I think make-up just melts anyway!  Try to keep cool!!

Yes, that is a possibility. I also had a Zoom meeting today and I figured I just might be a bit scary if I didn’t put some on. The A/C was on and we don’t have much humidity so I took a chance. Interesting thing is when I used a make up remover towelette I noticed that there wasn’t much make up on it so it must have gone somewhere🤷‍♀️

Good morning to all!  I took a train up to northern VA on Tuesday to spend some time with youngest son’s family until Husband finishes in Indy and swings by to pick me up.  They are in school all day, so I spent yesterday watching the horrific reports from Texas and waiting anxiously for them to get home.  A woman from Australia told me in 2016 that as long as we Americans loved our guns more than our children, we would always have this problem and sadly, I think she may be right.

Melody, I am going to try your pork recipe when I get home, it sounds very good and easy!  Kat, good news on your US!  Sharon, hope temps are cooling down for you! 

One thing about living in FL, I guess I get used to everything looking kind of dry and brown so being in VA now, everything is so lush and green.  The dogwoods are blooming and everything just looks so amazing!  I do miss spring and fall! 

OOTD: Getting ready to take the dog for a walk, so old denim capris and an old tshirt.  This evening I am on the gymnastics run, so I may have to put on some makeup😂.

Sherri🙂

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

And the Texas governor's response was:  "It could have been worse."

Really?????????

This is the same governor who has signed over a dozen laws removing gun restrictions.😞

Sherri😔

Edited by sjb317

I had to stop watching any news.  I cannot stand hearing any more stupid, insensitive comments from certain people.  Some seem to forget the "well-regulated militia" part of the 2nd Amendment.  

Melody - I struck out trying to find those onions.  2 Walmarts and 3 supermarkets.  One Walmart had jars of the pickled beets and shredded red cabbage, though.  

Cynthia - i bought some of the jalapeño limeade.  i will be adding a little vodka and blending it up with some ice in my Blendjet to make a slushie.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, awhfy said:

Kat, try Amazon. Nellies pickled beets are delicious too

I’m not watching news, I just can’t 

i'll have to do that.

i'm vegging out on Below Deck Med - a little mindless noise while I'm doing things.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, slidergirl said:

i'll have to do that.

i'm vegging out on Below Deck Med - a little mindless noise while I'm doing things.

Yeah, I had to quit.

Looking forward to Top Chef tonight. Something completely escapist.

• Like 1

I have a four-day weekend, hardly know what to do with myself. LOL.  I went a little crazy this morning with the online Memorial Day sales. I realized that with the house sale/move being such a focus for months, I haven't really bought anything for myself in a while...

I found yet another hat I'm willing to try (Not Gigi Pip); it looks just the thing to wear to the pool that just opened at my condo. Also bought a few things on the Nordstrom bi-annual sale including some Eileen Fisher basics that I love for travel. And work. And work-related travel. 😆. And a pair of fisherman's sandals -- been looking for a while but in recent years most have looked too clunky for my style.  We'll see how these do...

• Like 1

Hi girls, for any of you interested, Monday night CNN is have a new special called "JULIA".......yes, it is about Julia Child. I have seen quite a few ads about it and I am looking forward to watching it.

Cynthia, enjoy your holiday weekend🙂.  We have a new Marshall's that opened right near me. I went over there yesterday but didn't buy anything.  I am trying to decide about buying some new stuff for my cruise next month......I keep going back and forth and then never leave the house LOL.........so haven't bought anything yet.  I really don't need anything...........

Anyway, have a good holiday weekend to all of you🙂

• Like 1

First off - everyone have a good holiday weekend!  Remember to take a little time to honor those who sacrificed for us.  Let Summer begin...

Food thing:  I'm on the tenderloin train.  What I think I'm going to do tonight is rub the 'loin with some of my TJ's Citrusy Garlic seasoning.  Who knows??

Clothes question?  Anyone seen decent jeans shorts that aren't ripped, unheeded, VERY short??  lighter wash, and ability to roll up are necessities.  I'm almost at a point to buy a pair of jeans and take them to a seamstress to turn into shorts.

OOTD:  sleeveless Vneck T, capri leggings.  it's hot here today (up to 78), but it drops back to cloudy and upper 40s for the weekend.  I'll replace the Vneck with a long-sleeve T.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2022 at 6:12 AM, sjb317 said:

Good morning to all!  I took a train up to northern VA on Tuesday to spend some time with youngest son’s family until Husband finishes in Indy and swings by to pick me up.  They are in school all day, so I spent yesterday watching the horrific reports from Texas and waiting anxiously for them to get home.  A woman from Australia told me in 2016 that as long as we Americans loved our guns more than our children, we would always have this problem and sadly, I think she may be right.

Sherri🙂

Sherri, I can certainly identify with your anxious wait for your grands to come home. I know you weren’t alone and it’s an awful situation that patents and grandparents are faced with. 

As for the comment by the Australian woman, I too think she may be right.

Sharon

Cynthia, great that you are enjoying a 4 day weekend and taking advantage of the shopping opportunity. 

Lois, I too saw “Julia” advertised-will have to try and remember to watch.Always fun to buy some new things for a trip. Maybe you will come across something that you just can’t pass up.

Kat, here’s my report on the tenderloin using your method. It was delicious! Very tender and juicy. I may have varied the herbs a bit to use what I had but the results were most likely very similar.  So easy, well except for washing the pan I seared it in.😐 

Sorry I can’t help with the shorts but your jeans idea just might be the answer.

We have flights booked in Aug and this morning I was given a “heads up” that our outbound flight is going to be eliminated. Not wanting to wait until this shows up online I decided to be proactive so we can get the flight and seats that we want Took some time on hold while CS made the changes. Tricky since our original flight hasn’t yet dropped off the schedule and we hadn’t been notified. Hopefully no more changes but I’m not counting on it.

I hope that everyone enjoys the holiday as we celebrate and remember.

Sharon

• Like 2

18 hours ago, slidergirl said:

First off - everyone have a good holiday weekend!  Remember to take a little time to honor those who sacrificed for us.  Let Summer begin...

Food thing:  I'm on the tenderloin train.  What I think I'm going to do tonight is rub the 'loin with some of my TJ's Citrusy Garlic seasoning.  Who knows??

Clothes question?  Anyone seen decent jeans shorts that aren't ripped, unheeded, VERY short??  lighter wash, and ability to roll up are necessities.  I'm almost at a point to buy a pair of jeans and take them to a seamstress to turn into shorts.

OOTD:  sleeveless Vneck T, capri leggings.  it's hot here today (up to 78), but it drops back to cloudy and upper 40s for the weekend.  I'll replace the Vneck with a long-sleeve T.

I got a pair of denim shorts (just above knee) at Costco yesterday they’re a Chaps brand

Oh no -- somehow I missed that last week's episode of Stanley Tucci's show was the last one in Season 2 -- I was expecting two more!!  😳

I guess that makes it easier to make the decision about whether to go to the Sunday night offering of the Italian film festival...  I went last night but wouldn't say it was one of my favorite films. And there's a matinee and a main showing tonight -- as luck would have it, the main showing was on a flight I took last year, so I've already seen it, but it was very good so I may watch it again. I always buy the full pass anyway to support the effort.

And Lois, yes I've seen CNN advertising that documentary on Julia Child. Again, I'm afraid it's the one I just saw on my recent flight overseas, just looking at the photos used for the promo. If so it was VERY good though.

• Like 1