for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

Well, Les couldn’t stand it & started to put up gazebo today. Daughter & SiL came to help. This is definitely a 3 person job. We stopped before putting the roof on (wind got too high). We’ll finish next Saturday. SIL works for brownies (& good wine).  Melody

3A6F5B25-EB59-4AF6-8E3D-B8398C8602EE.jpeg

07A46D65-F06A-4D35-AFAE-81EC741AA7FA.jpeg

432A3558-5D9D-4D3D-BFE3-C38CDE96D967.jpeg

3901BAA6-10CF-4404-BFA4-C0F87533FEDE.jpeg

8AAEAB5B-6595-4050-80D4-09C647D642C4.jpeg

• Like 2

omg Melody, that is a serious project!!  Just make sure you drink the wine after and not during or you may end up with a few unused pieces, lol.

I am feeling out of sorts today. I'm losing patience with all the posturing of the cruise lines -- and now the Carnival Corp CEO is saying that he won't "mandate" vaccines. I think he just doesn't want to be the bad guy. I'm not sure what this means for my Jan 2022 Antarctic cruise on HAL, but I can tell you that given infection rates in S. America (and what happened on the 2020 winter S. America voyages) I do not want to set foot on that ship without having everyone vaccinated...

I am also not feeling hopeful about the Celebrity Infinity sailings. I have less than a month until final payment -- Celebrity isn't telegraphing anything, numbers are going up in Greece, and I am remembering why I don't like to travel in August as the weather starts heating up here. It was 75 yesterday and already it felt too warm to sit and read in the sun....

@cruise kittyThat is so great about your family's continued participation in the vaccine trials. Kudos to you guys!!  I guess we will likely all be lining up in another year or so to get the next generation COVID jab?

• Like 2

wow Melody, that pergola is huge!  Is it a Costco one?    It looks like quite the project, but how nice it will be to have the protection from sun & rain (& snow in your case)

Cynthia, I'm booked on one those Infinity cruises... when they cancelled my May Constellation the only options to protect my pricing & perks were the Infinity in the Med, so I booked the latest one I could find..  no idea what will happen... but I have a couple more months to see how things play out than you do.  

I also have a HAL cruise booked for Thanksgiving week...  it's one from San Diego to Cabo & back....  I won't be surprised if it ends up round trip out of Baja...

People's reluctance to get vaccinated is driving me up a wall...not withstanding the possible 1 in a million blood clots with AZ & J&J, they've proven safe & effective so far..  Pfizer has people who have been vaccinated for over a year...  it seems right now that vaccinations & probably boosters are our only way back to some sort of normal.

• Like 3

Catching up once again! Looks like Sherri and Kat are off on their adventures. I hope they have lots of good times.

Melody, that is a really nice gazebo/pergola. Lots of warm weather fun ahead for all of you.

Lois, how are your cruise plans coming!

Sharon

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I am feeling out of sorts today. I'm losing patience with all the posturing of the cruise lines -- and now the Carnival Corp CEO is saying that he won't "mandate" vaccines. I think he just doesn't want to be the bad guy. I'm not sure what this means for my Jan 2022 Antarctic cruise on HAL, but I can tell you that given infection rates in S. America (and what happened on the 2020 winter S. America voyages) I do not want to set foot on that ship without having everyone vaccinated...

I am also not feeling hopeful about the Celebrity Infinity sailings. I have less than a month until final payment -- Celebrity isn't telegraphing anything, numbers are going up in Greece, and I am remembering why I don't like to travel in August as the weather starts heating up here. It was 75 yesterday and already it felt too warm to sit and read in the sun...

Cynthia, I had no idea that Carnival CEO said no vaccine requirements. I received a survey from HAL today with several questions about my readiness to cruise this year. Had I known about the vaccine thing I would have worked that into my answers. Like you, i won’t feel comfortable unless everyone is vaccinated. DS and DIL want to plan a 2022 family cruise on HAL so not sure how this vaccine stance will affect this. 

7 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

@cruise kittyThat is so great about your family's continued participation in the vaccine trials. Kudos to you guys!!  I guess we will likely all be lining up in another year or so to get the next generation COVID jab?

I second your comments! 

Sharon

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

People's reluctance to get vaccinated is driving me up a wall...not withstanding the possible 1 in a million blood clots with AZ & J&J, they've proven safe & effective so far..  Pfizer has people who have been vaccinated for over a year...  it seems right now that vaccinations & probably boosters are our only way back to some sort of normal.

Debbie, I echo your feelings. I too am disgusted with those who have all sorts of reasons, some of them ridiculous, to not get the vaccine. Our county has more vaccine appointments than takers so we have to give some of our doses to other counties even though we still have many who should get vaccinated. Our Dept of Health has done so much to address people’s’ concerns and to make sure everyone has access to the vaccine.but still there is hesitancy and refusal.  In many cases I see it as selfishness and refusal to do the responsible thing. I am making allowances for those who, for legitimate medical reasons, cannot get the vaccine but those would be a minority if everyone else was vaccinated. 

On a better note, you and your family deserve our gratitude for participating in the Pfizer trials. A question-now that you are unblinded, will everyone in the trial get the vaccine booster or will there still be those who will get a placebo?

I hope that you get your cruise plans figured out. 
Sharon

• Like 2

Good morning girls🙂

Melody, looks like that is definitely a big job! But will be lovely when it is all finished.  Son in law is easy then😃...brownies and wine? Sweet!

Sharon, the cruise is all booked and now it is a waiting game to see if we actually sail.  I would fly out on July 6th, arriving in Athens on 7/7.  The cruise sails on 7/8.  I booked my flights and hotel through the cruise line for this trip. Normally I would do all the hotel stuff on my own but not sure how everything in Greece will be so just going through the cruise line and to be honest, my rep is picking up the bill for me👍 and it is nice hotel too.. ...The Intercontinental in Athens.  I have nothing booked for the day I arrive.  I am just waiting to see what things will be like over the next month or so.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone. This is the biggest gazebo that Costco makes, it’s 12’x16’ & 15’ tall. It is galvanized steel & is brutally heavy (over 600 lbs). The directions are fabulous, large enough to actually read!  Hard to believe that they say it can be put together with an Allen wrench (included). Les & Corby used impact drills. The footprint of this is actually smaller than our old canvas gazebos. We had 2 10x10 canvas topped gazebos put together for a 10x20. Les readjusted two rows of pavers to change the footprint. We’ll finish the steel top in Saturday (right now it’s covered in snow (again). We’re looking forward to relaxing under it!   Melody

• Like 2

Sharon, right now everyone who was pulled into  this booster trial is a 5 mg vs 10 mg single shot of the "real" thing... it seems to be a luck of the draw that our center was brought on, as it's pretty limited...  I'm super impressed with how the trial center gets stuff done, sounds like they were told on Wednesday or Thursday to pull 35 people into this & by Friday night they made the calls :)  no idea if or when I will get it, but they hinted I will receive it at some point... I'm good with that or just getting it when everyone else does.

Melody we have a much smaller costco gazebo, the 12 x 12... it's held up very nicely... when we bought it, the roofs were a different color, sort of a rusty color that may have been meant to look like copper, but was really not that attractive, it's faded now & I'm much happier with it.  I think the roofs now are a more dark grey tone...also, can't believe you are still getting snow.... the weather gods need to get their act together so you can enjoy your new patio lol ;)

Lois, sounds like you have a good plan on letting the agent take care of planning,  a cruise anywhere sounds wonderful, but Greece is so beautiful :)  Does the cruise go anywhere else?  I know Croatia is opening up as well, & it's beautiful too :)

-Debbie

-Debbie 

• Like 1

Hi Debbie🙂 some of the places I mentioned are in Crete....so it is Greece and Crete but those are the only stops.  Nothing on there is to Croatia.

6 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Debbie🙂 some of the places I mentioned are in Crete....so it is Greece and Crete but those are the only stops.  Nothing on there is to Croatia.

Still sounds so wonderful!  I've never been to Crete... boy, I hope this goes for you as planned.

Also, I breathed a big sigh of relief & gratitude this afternoon around 2ish :)

• Like 1

Hey Debbie, I agree 100%!!!!!!!!!!  Justice was served!  But it really is just the beginning......new laws need to passed as well.  But yes, it was definitely the right verdict. 

• Like 2

Debbie, this is the dark grey Messina gazebo. I really wanted the beige (as it would’ve matched our house, but it just wasn’t large enough. Les just couldn’t stand not putting the top part of puzzle together (it really is just like putting a jigsaw puzzle together). He’s said he’s waiting till Sat & reinforcements for the rest (as the other panels are really heavy & awkward).

I stayed inside & made pasta fagiole

Melody

209C9CE6-2DBF-41C0-815F-8F959D898D3F.jpeg

2EE84B23-C768-4F7B-990F-1A2DFA5D2148.jpeg

25B40541-8EC8-481C-A882-2453D6980628.jpeg

ED40D9CB-5802-4D52-8CEA-2B29A9092CC9.jpeg

• Like 3

10 hours ago, awhfy said:

I stayed inside & made pasta fagiole

Melody

209C9CE6-2DBF-41C0-815F-8F959D898D3F.jpeg

ED40D9CB-5802-4D52-8CEA-2B29A9092CC9.jpeg

Wait! are those instructions in your husband's hands?!? I didn't know that the "ManCode" allowed use of directions. 😆

The pasta fagiole looks yummy!

DH and I went to get our taxes today (seems weird to do it after April 15) and stopped at the State Farmer's Market on the way home. They have a great seafood restaurant that serves fresh NC coast Calabash style meals. DH got a trout sandwich with hushpuppies. I got the triple combo with flounder, clam, and shrimp with hushpuppies, slaw, and fries. Let's just say that even though it was delicious, DH has most of it for lunch tomorrow. If the "small" is enough to feed two to three, how many does the "large" feed?!?😮

OOTD: All Athleta: 7/8 length purple open leg leggings and gray tank with matching purple sports bra. It was warm enough to skip a wrap or jacket (mid 70s--sorry to those of you getting snow). The temp is dropping, so we're getting the cold front bringing all the snow, though we're supposed to get to just above freezing. DH has covered all the tender outside plants and moved the tomato seedlings inside. 

• Like 1

I'm back!!!   I missed some good stuff, it seems.  That's OK, I relaxed and tuned out for a few days.  

Zion NP was crazy busy again.  The day use lot was always full by about 9am.  The campground was totally full.  Fortunately, the little walk-in area where I was stayed pretty quiet - no family herds like the rest of the campground.  My campsite was about a 20 ft.walk from my car, so it seemed more like a regular pull-in site than a site where you'd have to walk 200 ft. to get to.  Really nice!   I was super impressed with my new tent!!!  I set it up in about 5 minutes - really simple and easy.  It took longer for me to put the rain fly on as it was a tad obstinate with me to stretch enough to get the grommets on each end to attach to the center fly pole!  Super comfy inside - it felt nice and big and open, something important for me.   My 45 degree sleeping bag did just fine as I never got hot and never got cold.  The new mattress - meh.  It's still better than my old one.  I may have had it too inflated, so I'll have to try it with less next time.   I made a major mistake - I forgot my pillow.  I had to use my nano puff throw as my pillow and that didn't give much at all.  Worse mistake - I left my 3 soups from Trader Joe's in my fridge by accident!!!!  Good thing I had cheese, crackers, guacamole and nuts to get me through my dinner.  And, my Rosè was excellent, as usual.  The funniest thing happened:  I was relaxing in my reclining lounge chair, noise-cancelling headphone on, listening to Andrea Bocelli.  All of a sudden, a very cheeky, fat, squirrel jumped into my lap!!!  He'd been around my site off and on for 2 days.  I talked to him but I never feed wildlife.  I have no idea what made him jump on me.  I scooted him off.  He didn't come back.  

OK.  I've been down to Zion a few times, so I didn't take a lot of photos.  But, I popped a couple going up the hill out of the park toward Carmel Junction on the way home.   Then, to show what "red dirt" does to stuff - one shoe is my old (like 10 years) Keen hiking shoe, the other 2 are my "new" (3 years) of the same Keen shoe and I wore these down at Zion.  They WERE all the same color!!

Last:  Just a little bit of fun.  The last photo is of a place that was very prominent in a famous 80s movie.  Anyone know the movie?  I always drive by it going south on the Interstate and for some reason I decided to stop and take a picture.

I'm rather tired from driving 5 hours home (took the scenic route).  I think I'm going to bed.  Later!!

IMG_0809.JPG

• Like 1

OOPS,  it only did the shoes.   I'm going to try the rest again.

The first is my little campsite.  My lounge chair and table with my "candle" lantern and bottle of wine,  and my tent that I strung my lights on just because I had them (they change colors).  

IMG_0802.JPG

IMG_0803.JPG

IMG_0804.JPG

IMG_0805.JPG

IMG_0806.JPG

IMG_0807.JPG

• Like 1

I forgot, this too.  Melody - you're the one with the Vuori joggers, right?  If you need a pair of camping/hiking/outdoor activity pant, look at the Vuori Ripstop pant.  I ordered a pair because my Duluth Trading pants are now too big.  Man, I really liked them.  Just enough stretch in them to move in.  Zippered  "cargo" pocket that doesn't stick out like the usual cargo pocket, and side and back pockets.  I rolled up the bottoms a little to "flood" level to wear around.  Forgot my legs hadn't seen sun in 2 years - those 2 inches on each leg got burned in a big way!!!  

• Like 1

On 4/19/2021 at 3:01 PM, cruisemom42 said:

omg Melody, that is a serious project!!  Just make sure you drink the wine after and not during or you may end up with a few unused pieces, lol.

I am also not feeling hopeful about the Celebrity Infinity sailings. I have less than a month until final payment -- Celebrity isn't telegraphing anything, numbers are going up in Greece, and I am remembering why I don't like to travel in August as the weather starts heating up here. It was 75 yesterday and already it felt too warm to sit and read in the sun....

On Carnival - I think the CEO, being in Florida, wants to stay on the "right" side of Tallahassee, where the opinion and Executive Orders say no mandatory vaccination allowed for any business in Florida...

Melody - that pergola is one big project!  I would have stayed in the kitchen, sipping the wine and fixing dinner myself!  I'm not a slouch at putting things together, but that one has too many nuts and bolts to get me all frustrated if it didn't go straight and easy!  Good thing you had lot of help!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I forgot, this too.  Melody - you're the one with the Vuori joggers, right?  If you need a pair of camping/hiking/outdoor activity pant, look at the Vuori Ripstop pant.  I ordered a pair because my Duluth Trading pants are now too big.  Man, I really liked them.  Just enough stretch in them to move in.  Zippered  "cargo" pocket that doesn't stick out like the usual cargo pocket, and side and back pockets.  I rolled up the bottoms a little to "flood" level to wear around.  Forgot my legs hadn't seen sun in 2 years - those 2 inches on each leg got burned in a big way!!!  

I don’t have those joggers, but I might look into those ripstop ones!  Glad you had a good time!