for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

4 hours ago, Lois R said:

Well, after all the going back and forth.........and forth and back......I am just staying at my original hotel and will let the cruise line take care of my room and all my transportation.🙂.  I have been in contact with a private tour company and will probably take an afternoon tour with them......they can actually pick me up at the hotel.  I feel good about my decision and I think Intercontinental will be very nice🙂

Sorry I didn't see your question here but I did answer it on the other board. It's important to do what feels right for you, especially when you're doing it on your own. I'm sure you'll have a great trip. 

I hope by the time you go everything is open again.  It's so weird to look on a map for Rome, for example, and see the notations of all the museums and restaurants as "closed". 🙁

Melody, we too are on wood burning restrictions so no wood fire pit for us. We haven’t used our fireplace in years, well except for candles.

Lois, your plans sound well thought out especially with the short time frame.  Very nice that your TA is comping your room.

Debbie, yes isn’t it nice that those of us who are fully vaccinated no longer need a mask in many outdoor situations. To be honest, DH and I haven’t been wearing a mask when we walk. We have them handy should we find ourselves near others. Most of the time we never see anyone else anyway. Your plans for today sound “normal”. I haven’t been in any clothing stores since last February. Not sure if I remember how it all works!

Cynthia, congrats on your second shot. I hope you can stay comfortable until your AC is fixed. 84 isn’t too bad unless it comes with humidity which I’m guessing might be the case where you are.  Lots of ice water on the menu today?. I believe that I read that drinking a lot of water after getting the vaccine can help with the side affects.

BTW! Kat, I hope your weather clears up soon. Since we are nearing the end of April I bet you have had enough already!

Sharon

• Like 1

Cynthia - YAY for Fauci Ouchie #2!  Hopefully you get missed on the after effects.  Just be sure to have lots of water, Pedialyte and Gatorade on hand.  

I think my weather is tolerable for about the next 2 weeks - the 10th could get cold enough that the projected rain could turn to snow.   I never count out the snow until July - my 2nd year up here, we had snow on the 4th of July!!!

The girlfriends are starting  firm up our June trip.  the 2 of us who started early are now doing 5 days with our friend and the others just decided to only have 3 days.  And, they guilted me into emptying out my camping stuff from my car while they are there so they don't have to rent a car.  There were originally 4 of us, now there are 6, so we need a second car.  Ugh.  I don't like driving people around, especially in places I'm not familiar with.  Oh well, I seem to get wrangled into this more than not.   I can just laugh, at least we are all able to meet up again!!!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Cynthia - YAY for Fauci Ouchie #2!  Hopefully you get missed on the after effects.  Just be sure to have lots of water, Pedialyte and Gatorade on hand.  

I think my weather is tolerable for about the next 2 weeks - the 10th could get cold enough that the projected rain could turn to snow.   I never count out the snow until July - my 2nd year up here, we had snow on the 4th of July!!!

The girlfriends are starting  firm up our June trip.  the 2 of us who started early are now doing 5 days with our friend and the others just decided to only have 3 days.  And, they guilted me into emptying out my camping stuff from my car while they are there so they don't have to rent a car.  There were originally 4 of us, now there are 6, so we need a second car.  Ugh.  I don't like driving people around, especially in places I'm not familiar with.  Oh well, I seem to get wrangled into this more than not.   I can just laugh, at least we are all able to meet up again!!!

Have them buy your wine for using your gas...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, awhfy said:

Have them buy your wine for using your gas...

Oh, I will get payment!  I need 2 bottles to get me through my 6 days I'm taking to get home...

I found there is a Trader Joe's near my friend's house so I'll be able to stock up on food for those 6 days.  It may be a really good camping trip going home!!!

I'm waiting to ask what kind of clothes I'm going to need for this.  I'm sure my dirty camping stuff with my tie dye boots won't cut it.  I may have to pack 2 bags - one for camping, one for "the city"...  

I bought my Christmas present for myself today.  Advance purchase started today for Andrea Bocelli here in Salt Lake.  It's in the basketball arena, though.  It's not the Hollywood Bowl or Teatro del Silenzia in Tuscany, but it'll do!!  I may get to wear my outfit I had picked out, after all.  It's October 30, so lots of time to get things under control.  I will say that the ticket costs about the same as the Bowl 2 years ago, but it's about 40 rows closer.  

One more day of being a lazy bum before I have to start working on my house. I promised myself I'd start on May 1.  I'm thinking the guys out at the County Dump are going to get to know me!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

Oh, I will get payment!  I need 2 bottles to get me through my 6 days I'm taking to get home...

I found there is a Trader Joe's near my friend's house so I'll be able to stock up on food for those 6 days.  It may be a really good camping trip going home!!!

I'm waiting to ask what kind of clothes I'm going to need for this.  I'm sure my dirty camping stuff with my tie dye boots won't cut it.  I may have to pack 2 bags - one for camping, one for "the city"...  

I bought my Christmas present for myself today.  Advance purchase started today for Andrea Bocelli here in Salt Lake.  It's in the basketball arena, though.  It's not the Hollywood Bowl or Teatro del Silenzia in Tuscany, but it'll do!!  I may get to wear my outfit I had picked out, after all.  It's October 30, so lots of time to get things under control.  I will say that the ticket costs about the same as the Bowl 2 years ago, but it's about 40 rows closer.  

One more day of being a lazy bum before I have to start working on my house. I promised myself I'd start on May 1.  I'm thinking the guys out at the County Dump are going to get to know me!!!

Kat, sounds like a lot of good times ahead for you! Well except for possibly your home projects.

Yay, concert tickets! Way to go!  40 rows closer, that’s a score for sure. 

Warming up here-ugh! That usually means poor air quality and of course wildfire possibilities. Tomorrow will  take advantage of the nice morning temps and meet friends for coffee

Got my hair cut today. There we were,  by ourselves, both vaccinated BUT still wearing masks🙄. He owns the shop and each stylist has their own room (this was a former medical office). We still stuck to the rules but felt good that our risk was very low. 

OOTD 32 degrees cool pants and one of my summer tees.

• Like 2

Hi all, Cynthia congrats on the 2nd jab, hope you're feeling fine :)

I did not end up shopping at all yesterday, we had a heat wave hit, so just did the zoo, & then a little evening hike.

Tomorrow though, we might go car shopping!  Yikes !  Considering making a very big change from my usual  small SUV & getting a Subaru Outback... they have a version called ""Touring" that has a pretty interior with very nice leather, but also a paddle board rack on top & bike rack on back....right now my little Audi is too tall for me to get the paddle board on top, & if there's wind, it's impossible...  the Outback isn't nearly as tall & I could manage it... of course have to test drive first to see how comfy it is :)  DH is not quite convinced about my not getting something a little more luxurious, but I really want the freedom to transport my board & bike on my own :)

• Like 2

Debbie, we have a Honda CRV with paddleboard/kayak rack & bike rack. I don’t have any problem (even in wind) getting board or bike up (& I’m considerably older than you. We have the touring edition, love my Honda. The Acura RDX is exactly the same but more luxurious. 

Debbie, car shopping, I hope you find just what you are looking for.. With our last car purchase we used an auto broker and she was terrific! No stress, great price and I actually hugged her when the transaction was complete! Of course this was before Covid. DH and I just aren’t good at the  high pressure sales experience, probably because we don’t do it often enough to learn all the tricks of the trade. 

it was pretty warm here today too. Just not ready for summer temps. 
Sharon

• Like 2

Well, it took a couple of days (first day flu-ish, second one tired) but it wasn't so bad that I felt stay-in-bed sick, just a little under the weather. Now I feel back to normal, just in time for the weekend. 😄

I am preoccupied with the BTB Med cruises I still have scheduled (from two years back, with several moves along the way).  My final payment is due at the end of this week, but I'm not convinced these cruises are going to sail in August. Celebrity won't let me move them again unless THEY cancel first. And I don't want to be stuck making a final payment and then trying to get cash back if they DO cancel.  Arrggghhh....

Debbie -- I know you're in the same boat. What would you do if your cruises were earlier??

Car shopping sounds fun by comparison!  I had just gotten a new car (small Volvo crossover) about 6 months before COVID.  It's my second Volvo -- I loved my first one and made the mistake of getting something else in between because it was cheaper.  Turned out to be a false economy since I didn't end up keeping it as long.  Anyway, one reason for the Volvo is that I normally have quite a long daily commute. But since I've been working from home (and staying AT home), I have only bought two tanks of gas since February 2020.  (And the second one is still half full.)  

• Like 2

Cynthia - hurray on coming out of vaccination #2!!!  It is a little bit of nasty for a whole lotta good!!!

I have NO idea what I would do in your situation with the B2B.  I do not envy your situation.   I had a problem with just my little roadtrip - I've got 2 places I have to hotel it (no campsites available).  I put out a little more money for the "fully refundable" rate just in case I get a spot outside.  I fretted for a couple of days before I put down my credit card and my free night certificates.  I can't imagine if I had a few thousand dollars on the line!!!

Debbie - the Outback is a VERY popular car here.  It's the versitile utility car - skis, snowboards, bikes, kayaks, SUPs, cargo boxes - you can't see an Outback around here on the roads without at least one of those things.  I really wanted an Outback, but could not find a good used one in my price - they seem to hold value well.  Settled on my Kia Sportage and it's been an excellent vehicle for my needs the past 2 years.  I laugh sometimes - on my road into town it seems to alternate with Outback, Porsche, Range Rover...  with the rest of us scattered in.   I HATE car shopping.  I don't like haggling.  I bought mine through a kind of broker.  He buys vehicles at auctions.  His price is what you pay.  If he doesn't have what you want, he'll scout the auctions for you.   You will love your Outback!

I tried something different for dinner.  I  bought some fresh butternut squash ribbons.  I had my $1.99 jar of TJ's tomato basil sauce and some chicken sausages.  I made spaghetti.  All done in a skillet (did the sausages first, then the squash, put the sausages back in *cut up*, added the sauce, put lots of cheese on top).  I was pleasantly surprised.  I think I needed to sauté the squash more as it was a little too al dente for me.  But, it's something I'll make again in the future.  

Chore for today: break down all the cardboard boxes I have and take them over to the recycling center.  Figure out why my one toilet has suddenly decided to "gargle" all time.  Maybe clear out space in my 2nd closet for my nice business jackets.  Let's see how this goes.  

Last night was the first night I tried to go without the heater on automatic - turned it off.  When I woke up, it was 64 degrees.  So, I think I may be good to keep it turned off until one of those days when it stays in the 40s.  

• Like 2

We booked a 9-night Celebrity Reflection Caribbean cruise yesterday for April 2022. We had a lot of FCC that I really was concerned about it going away. It’ll be over Les’s bday & Easter (Palm Sunday & Easter are both on sea days). When final payment comes I’ll owe very, very little. I’m so anxious to be back on the water!  

We do have a 7-night on Royal’s Liberty out of Galveston in October, final payment is mid-July for that one. We were going to do a b2b but opted to drop to just one week to see how we do with restrictions. Melody 

• Like 1

Melody, congrats on the new booking🙂

Kat, the squash dish sounds delicious.....easy and healthy!  I would make something like that!😃

• Like 1

Lois - the squash was indeed really easy.  I'd maybe add some mushrooms to it next time.  The $1.99 jar of TJ's Tomato Basil Marinara is one of my "must have" things in my pantry.  It's a great sauce as-is, but it also is a good base sauce to use for other tomato-based items.  I can add mushrooms, olives, anchovy (sauté it down to nothingness), a little wine, crushed red pepper, whatever.  I use it when I'm too lazy to make my own sauce.  

Well, I got some cardboard broken down, but not over to the recycle center.  Turns out it's a morning-only operation.  Will try again Monday.   I couldn't figure out the toilet, but I was able to "un-freeze" the water valve for it (for some reason it wouldn't budge) and turn off the water.  It's a really never-used toilet, so not a big thing.  There was water leaking from the valve when I was working to un-freeze it, so maybe something there has gone bad.   Didn't get to the jackets.  

I finally got around to watching Nomadland last evening.  Wow.  Being an older woman, it was both empowering and depressing.  Empowering from the standpoint that all those women were out there on their own.  Depressing from the standpoint that they not much choice but to live that life.   I understand the seasonal work and moving around for it - the kids I worked with at the ski resort would work the resort in th winter then move to Summer resorts like Mackinac, the New England resorts, San Juan islands.  I had one guy I worked with at my last hotel who was 70 and went  between our hotel and a place called the  White Barn in Kennebunkport.  He had been doing thatg for years.  He did it because he loved it.  

Tonight, I urge everyone to watch "United Shades of America" on CNN.  Always very thought-provoking.  

Later!

• Like 1

We're having more severe weather here today -- already had a tornado warning in our immediate vicinity with the town sirens (and cell phone alerts) going off. Afterwards we had a break of a couple of hours -- watched a possum in our back yard who had clearly been flooded out of his or her home.  Now it's bucketing rain again and our basement sump pump alarm is going off.  Love the springtime here!!!!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

We're having more severe weather here today -- already had a tornado warning in our immediate vicinity with the town sirens (and cell phone alerts) going off. Afterwards we had a break of a couple of hours -- watched a possum in our back yard who had clearly been flooded out of his or her home.  Now it's bucketing rain again and our basement sump pump alarm is going off.  Love the springtime here!!!!

Keep yourself safe!!!

Stay safe Cynthia. We had a couple inches of badly needed rain here yesterday & today; however, 2000’ up in elevation had over 10” of snow. Gotta love springtime in the Rockies

Hi girls,  Kat, I saw your post over the "Ask a cruise question" forum........I didn't realize you are having long term issues with Covid. I would have sent you all my best wishes before this..........hope you get to feeling 100% very soon.

18 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi girls,  Kat, I saw your post over the "Ask a cruise question" forum........I didn't realize you are having long term issues with Covid. I would have sent you all my best wishes before this..........hope you get to feeling 100% very soon.

I'm having what I'd say are minor but annoying issues with Long Covid.  My "demon" cough is the most annoying.  When I have to cough, it's a violent cough.  It can last maybe 10 seconds or a minute.  It's not frequent like when you have bronchitis, but it's enough to me not want to go in public too much.  I get looks when I cough at the supermarket.  I could only imagine what would happen if I started coughing at a restaurant!!  Everyone at work and the owners knew what was going on and just accepted it as part of "me".  We've tried all the usual meds without success.  My COVID group on FB has given me some ideas, but most of those require me to get a recommendation to an ENT from my primary care person.  

The vertigo is weird.  It's mostly at night when I'm in bed and I move.  But it's enough to wake me up - even if I don't open my eyes - I can feel it.  I can deal with it.  My "wobbliness" is now just something I laugh at.  I've always been clumsy so I'm good at being nimble and graceful in recovery.  If I go hiking, even on the trails behind my house, I take my hiking poles.  I'm good at bouncing off my walls at home.   

The brain fog is getting better.  I can usually talk my way into remembering a word for an object.  But, the short term thing is really annoying.  I can walk into the kitchen and not remember why I went there.  I have to be a little more diligent in writing down random items that I need to buy - I remember my usual stuff, but if I need drain cleaner, I won't remember it (had that issue for 3 weeks lately!!).  

So, things are still around, but I am not debilitated as some are.  At least I have my energy back and can get on with life.  I just swear more when I cough 😉

Sorry to get so long-winded there.

I did something different for breakfast today.  I was getting really tired of the usual yogurt or cereal or eggs.  I really like oatmeal, but I'm not in the mood for hot oatmeal unless it's cold outside.  I made overnight oats.  Game changer!!  Super easy and ended up really tasty.  I did a pretty basic recipe to see how it worked out.  But now I'm ready to play with ingredients.  I had raspberries and blueberries to top it with this morning.  But, I can see adding nuts, coconut, other berries, banana...  If you like oatmeal and haven't tried this, definitely check it out!  My recipe: 1/3 cup oats, 1 Tbl chia seeds, 1 Tbl peanut butter, 1/3 cup milk.  Put all of it in a container and mix it up until nice and smooth.  Put a lid on the container and put it in the fridge overnight.  In the morning, add in your toppings and enjoy.  

• Like 3

On 5/1/2021 at 6:46 AM, cruisemom42 said:

Well, it took a couple of days (first day flu-ish, second one tired) but it wasn't so bad that I felt stay-in-bed sick, just a little under the weather. Now I feel back to normal, just in time for the weekend. 😄

I am preoccupied with the BTB Med cruises I still have scheduled (from two years back, with several moves along the way).  My final payment is due at the end of this week, but I'm not convinced these cruises are going to sail in August. Celebrity won't let me move them again unless THEY cancel first. And I don't want to be stuck making a final payment and then trying to get cash back if they DO cancel.  Arrggghhh....

Debbie -- I know you're in the same boat. What would you do if your cruises were earlier??

Car shopping sounds fun by comparison!  I had just gotten a new car (small Volvo crossover) about 6 months before COVID.  It's my second Volvo -- I loved my first one and made the mistake of getting something else in between because it was cheaper.  Turned out to be a false economy since I didn't end up keeping it as long.  Anyway, one reason for the Volvo is that I normally have quite a long daily commute. But since I've been working from home (and staying AT home), I have only bought two tanks of gas since February 2020.  (And the second one is still half full.)  

Hi Cynthia, you are in a tough spot with your Celebrity booking... for myself, I'm very anxious to get back on the water, have an actual vacation, & be back in Europe, anywhere in Europe lol ;)   I'm thinking that the cruises will go, but that there's a huge chance of last minute itinerary changes or port skips...  I know that you are very itinerary driven, are you ok with possibly having more of a vacation cruise &  the slight chance missing out on some historic sites?  If the answer is yes, then I'd keep the booking...  right now it seems things are getting better in Europe, & I'm guessing by the time your cruise goes, there will be some normalcy there... as long as people keep getting vaccinated :)

&  Ladies, car wise, I ended up with a Volvo!   It's so beautiful, I got the XC40 Inscription with all wheel drive...it's white with cream leather.... I added the roof racks for my paddle board,  & got the all weather trunk liner & floor mats for hiking & grandkids... I would never have done the cream leather, but the carpet & the middle of the back of the front seats are black, so no little footprints, lol :)

• Like 2