Level 4 travel warning

krittykat

Just now, Ptroxx said:

Not at all.  This section is for NCL. Not the airlines.  

Traveling via whatever mode of transportation you prefer and CLOSED borders has EVERYTHING to do with cruising. Stop your trolling. If youre not going to contribute to this thread, you need to move on.

Just now, Cruise Related said:

Traveling via whatever mode of transportation you prefer and CLOSED borders has EVERYTHING to do with cruising. Stop your trolling. If youre not going to contribute to this thread, you need to move on.

Not trolling stating a point.  This is a cruise Line area not a airlines area.   

the leve4 is for international travel and has nothing to do in here.  

Global Health Advisory
March 19, 2020

Level 4: Do Not Travel

The Department of State advises U.S. citizens to avoid all international travel due to the global impact of COVID-19.  In countries where commercial departure options remain available, U.S. citizens who live in the United States should arrange for immediate return to the United States, unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period.  U.S. citizens who live abroad should avoid all international travel.  Many countries are experiencing COVID-19 outbreaks and implementing travel restrictions and mandatory quarantines, closing borders, and prohibiting non-citizens from entry with little advance notice.  Airlines have cancelled many international flights and several cruise operators have suspended operations or cancelled trips.  If you choose to travel internationally, your travel plans may be severely disrupted, and you may be forced to remain outside of the United States for an indefinite timeframe.

2 minutes ago, BillDz said:

Ptroxx, 9 out of 10 posters now agree that you're wrong.

Cruise travel IS international travel, even if no airline is involved. 

Stop embarassing yourself.

If you say so.  

I don't know about the person who insists cruises aren't international travel, but I would classify my May 3 Mediterranean cruise to be INTERNATIONAL. Maybe I'm just an idiot. 

Plus, American Airlines is in the process of canceling our INTERNATIONAL flights, so even if this poster doesn't consider a Mediterranean cruise to be INTERNATIONAL, we will have no way to get to the cruise ship. Or no way to get back home...from an INTERNATIONAL airport on an INTERNATIONAL flight.

• Like 1

USA is now closing both our northern & southern border to non-essential travel and cruising is one of them, it does NOT govern flying or airline travel ... ditto, if you attempt to flying your GA aircraft or go across private yacht or sailboat.  Other countries including Bermuda are closing their ports of entries for cruise ships ... cargo vessels & oil barges, etc. are essential/vital goods permitted by this signed federal order.  No ifs and buts.  

Domestic airports are virtually ghost towns for passenger travel in the near/immediate future - flights are cancelled by all 3 major/legacy carriers ... exception is cargo traffic, both domestic & international as those are part of our "lifelines" in getting mission-critical resources being moved & transported to where they are needed, loaded & unloaded by the pallets.  

Even if this virus go away in 60 days (very unlikely, given our best guestimates & calculations on the curves & peaking, containment & reduction measures) - the cruiseline industry is not just going to do a quick turnaround, flip a sequence of switches & resuming sailing ships on a week's notice.  Keep in mind crews and ships need to be re-positioned, called back (and, able to travel & fly them around as well ... airfares will be, initially, at a premium with availability, for business & essential travel) - cleaned, re-provisioned and safety inspected.  This is not a simple, temporary disruption - we are just a "player" in this global pandemic disaster hitting 100+ countries.  Level 4 Travel Warning issued by the State Dept. is not sometime to "sneeze" at - border crossing of ALL kinds are governed by this order.  

P.S.  Ignore the troll(s,) put them on your Ignore List.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mdsgu said:

NCL also says they would never sail to a country under a Level 4 travel warning.

Where and when did they say that? We visited at least one port this winter on an NCL cruise where a level 4 warning was in place and that also has occurred in the past.

NCL didn't even give passengers who questioned the decision to visit the port the courtesy of  a reply when they asked NCL to reconsider

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ptroxx said:

Not at all.  This section is for NCL. Not the airlines.  

It's straight from the US Dept of State website. They're going to refer to the cruise industry in general, but it would apply to each line individually, including NCL.

Don't believe everyone else on here though, just go read it for yourself. 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/ea/covid-19-information.html

Cruise Ship Passengers

U.S. citizens, particularly travelers with underlying health conditions, should not travel by cruise ship at this time.  CDC notes increased risk of infection of COVID-19 in a cruise ship environment. In order to curb the spread of COVID-19, many countries have implemented strict screening procedures that have denied port entry rights to ships and prevented passengers from disembarking.  In some cases, local authorities have permitted disembarkation but subjected passengers to local quarantine procedures.  While the U.S. government has evacuated some cruise ship passengers in recent weeks, repatriation flights should not be relied upon as an option for U.S. citizens under the potential risk of quarantine by local authorities. Cruise travelers should stay home for 14 days after returning from travel, monitor their health, and practice social distancing.  

I just know that we won’t freaking be cruising from Rome and stopping in Florence and touring in Spain, etc. any time in the near future. NCL needs to cancel their cruises for at least April and May and give us our money back.  They can’t give us the cruise we paid for, obviously.  Do the right thing, NCL.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Cruise4life44 said:

I just know that we won’t freaking be cruising from Rome and stopping in Florence and touring in Spain, etc. any time in the near future. NCL needs to cancel their cruises for at least April and May and give us our money back.  They can’t give us the cruise we paid for, obviously.  Do the right thing, NCL.

Good luck with that.  NCL will be keeping your money for as long as legally possible.  Most likely it will be never be returned.

1 hour ago, Cruise4life44 said:

I agree!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cruise4life44 said:

Do the right thing, NCL.

And stop foot-dragging. Everyone knows what NCL has to do, but they're putting a squeeze on paying customers by delaying so long. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Love my butler said:

Good luck with that.  NCL will be keeping your money for as long as legally possible.  Most likely it will be never be returned.

It’s a lot of money to us.  My point is that they can’t uphold their part of the contract, as they will not be able to cruise anywhere in the next couple of months.  Class action?

10 hours ago, mdsgu said:

NCL also says they would never sail to a country under a Level 4 travel warning.  If that is true, they can't sail anywhere right now, because the State Dept put the entire globe under a Level 4 warning.  Waiting for them to cancel to claim a refund.....

6 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Where and when did they say that? We visited at least one port this winter on an NCL cruise where a level 4 warning was in place and that also has occurred in the past.

NCL didn't even give passengers who questioned the decision to visit the port the courtesy of  a reply when they asked NCL to reconsider

@mdsgu — indeed, where does NCL say that?  I was on the same cruise in January with @njhorseman, and we had a port call in a Mexican port that had been given a Level 4 “Do Not Travel” warning.  Prior to the cruise, I emailed NCL, more than once, to ask why NCL would schedule a visit to a Level 4 destination.  My emails were ignored.  Finally, I called the Executive Office, spoke to a very sympathetic person who put me on hold while he checked with their Itinerary Department, and then told me he was told, “we think it’s safe.”

I do agree they should be cancelling cruises scheduled to sail in the imminent future. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BillDz said:

And stop foot-dragging. Everyone knows what NCL has to do, but they're putting a squeeze on paying customers by delaying so long. 

All the cruise lines are delaying refund payments or playing games.  I have three fully paid cruises cancelled with 3 different lines and they still have all my money.  Crickets from all three despite being proactive, having the TA contact them and being within my contractual rights.  If you get paid thank your lucky stars, if you get a FCC, maybe you might be able to use it one day, maybe....

My wife and I have decided that we will not be cruising for several years, based on what has already happened and what the medical professionals are saying could happen with the SARS-COV-2 virus over the next few years.  I am over 60 now and have a couple of conditions that put me at additional risk.  The thought of climbing onto a crowded ship or into a long metal tube packed with people in seats at 21” pitch is not my idea of a good time.  We will take car trips next year to all the amazing sites we have not yet covered in the southeast US and have relaxing, stress-free vacations.  Not saying anyone else should have this opinion, it is just how we feel right now.

We have already mentally written off the cost of our Haven CN cert we put down for a Rome Med cruise in September.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ptroxx said:

Not trolling stating a point.  This is a cruise Line area not a airlines area.   

the leve4 is for international travel and has nothing to do in here.  

Global Health Advisory
March 19, 2020

Level 4: Do Not Travel

The Department of State advises U.S. citizens to avoid all international travel due to the global impact of COVID-19.  In countries where commercial departure options remain available, U.S. citizens who live in the United States should arrange for immediate return to the United States, unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period.  U.S. citizens who live abroad should avoid all international travel.  Many countries are experiencing COVID-19 outbreaks and implementing travel restrictions and mandatory quarantines, closing borders, and prohibiting non-citizens from entry with little advance notice.  Airlines have cancelled many international flights and several cruise operators have suspended operations or cancelled trips.  If you choose to travel internationally, your travel plans may be severely disrupted, and you may be forced to remain outside of the United States for an indefinite timeframe.

Shesh, you just trolled your own point.  Do you even read?  "Several cruise operators" is literally in your own text.

Also, this is NOT an airline only thing.  It's an any kind of travel thing.  Planes, ships, vehicles, heck, by foot.

4 minutes ago, GA Dave said:

We have already mentally written off the cost of our Haven CN cert we put down for a Rome Med cruise in September.

This sort of publicity in the NY Times will put a damper on cruising for a long time.  The irresponsibility described by the NYT here borders on criminally negligent:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/20/us/coronavirus-cruise-ship-costa-luminosa.html

12 hours ago, Cruise4life44 said:

We are booked on this same cruise.  Since travel from the US is now level 4 and NCL has nowhere to visit, they are not able to uphold their end of the contract, so I assume they will have no choice except to cancel.  The way they handle this will certainly help my decision about ever cruising with them again.  This cruise was to celebrate our 50th anniversary 😞

12 hours ago, Cruise4life44 said:

We are booked on this same cruise.  Since travel from the US is now level 4 and NCL has nowhere to visit, they are not able to uphold their end of the contract, so I assume they will have no choice except to cancel.  The way they handle this will certainly help my decision about ever cruising with them again.  This cruise was to celebrate our 50th anniversary 😞

We were scheduled to do B2B on the Dawn starting 3/23. We received the email stating all cruises cancelled on 3/14. We have had 2 offers since cruise cancelled to upgrade. 

Last October & November, we did NCL Joy LA to NYC. They cancelled Costa Rica & substituted Acapulco... a Level 4 warning. I don’t think NCL cares. 

Employees currently on ships who thought they would just be without passengers for 30 days & then resume as normal have now been told they are being sent home for 12-15 weeks. Contracts ended. 

I don’t think any of us will be cruising in the near future. But when we’re back on the high seas I hope it’s all of us happy & healthy & loving it more than ever before. 

Be safe. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Ptroxx said:

I have a cruise for may2.  And it has nothing to do with NCL.  
Its an airline restriction.  Not NCL.  

Actually it is not an airlines restriction either.  It is the government recommending if anyone is out of the country return home ASAP and for those in the country not to travel.  Largely because the expectations are even more travel restrictions in or out of countries and now might be ones last chance to get back home for a while and the government will not be able to help those stuck in foreign countries.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Smq123 said:

......Employees currently on ships who thought they would just be without passengers for 30 days & then resume as normal have now been told they are being sent home for 12-15 weeks. Contracts ended. 

I don’t think any of us will be cruising in the near future. But when we’re back on the high seas I hope it’s all of us happy & healthy & loving it more than ever before. 

Be safe. 

Interesting!  Can you share with us where you got this information?  

2 hours ago, Sand and Seas said:

Interesting!  Can you share with us where you got this information?  

Yes. Google Christopher Wong vlogs. He’s currently on a RC cruise & has been vloging daily regarding what crew has been doing since Trump made his call. Watch his vlogs. So interesting. 

• Like 3