P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

2 minutes ago, ccpm said:

Thank you all I am going to look into all of those tomorrow, the boy has returned so will take up my time today.

I can recommend HIE West just off M271 its basic but very clean and prices can be good and includes buffet breakfast where you can eat and as much or as little as you want. There is also a pub, Walnut Tree Farm, which is a short walk from hotel for evening meal, much better than the expensive evening meals offered at hotel.

I just spent 1.5 hours on the phone with Staffordshire police.  I got an email from the DVLA confirming that I had paid my car tax for a car that I have never owned.  The car is an old VW Golf, the tax had been paid by card, the last 4 digits of which are nothing like mine or DH's card numbers so none of our money has disappeared.  The police advised me to contact my bank to cancel my cards which I had already done on line because that was my first thought.  They also told me to advise DVLA  tomorrow because they will have the address where the car is registered and can mark it as not being anything to do with my address or email.  I have a reference number for my "case" just in case there is some kind of fraud going on.

Edited by Josy1953
Spelling

11 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I just spent 1.5 hours on the phone with Staffordshire police.  I got an email from the DVLA confirming that I had paid my car tax for a car that I have never owned.  The car is an old VW Golf, the tax had been paid by card, the last 4 digits of which are nothing like mine or DH's card numbers so none of our money has disappeared.  The police advised me to contact my bank to cancel my cards which I had already done on line because that was my first thought.  They also told me to advise DVLA  tomorrow because they will have the address where the car is registered and can mark it as not being anything to do with my address or email.  I have a reference number for my "case" just in case there is some kind of fraud going on.

That’s odd, isn’t it.

DVLA is, as usual, in a state of chaos, though, so I hope it’s perhaps just a simple case of their incorrectly transposing two addresses, with no fraud involved at all.

18 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

I can recommend HIE West just off M271 its basic but very clean and prices can be good and includes buffet breakfast where you can eat and as much or as little as you want. There is also a pub, Walnut Tree Farm, which is a short walk from hotel for evening meal, much better than the expensive evening meals offered at hotel.

We can also recommend this hotel.  You can see the Walnut Tree from the hotel car park.  It was a late autumn cruise when we stayed there so the walk back was in the dark, in the future unless it is summer and a light night we would drive round rather than walk.

4 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

That’s odd, isn’t it.

DVLA is, as usual, in a state of chaos, though, so I hope it’s perhaps just a simple case of their incorrectly transposing two addresses, with no fraud involved at all.

This is what we are hoping.

DH says at least I can't spend any money at the moment 😂😂

Edited by Josy1953
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

We can also recommend this hotel.  You can see the Walnut Tree from the hotel car park.  It was a late autumn cruise when we stayed there so the walk back was in the dark, in the future unless it is summer and a light night we would drive round rather than walk.

Just checked the price for March 26th - £85 !

Think we will keep our reservation at the nearby PI - £35 !

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

Just checked the price for March 26th - £85 !

Think we will keep our reservation at the nearby PI - £35 !

It is probably supply and demand, we always book our hotel as soon as we book the cruise then keep an eye on the prices and if there are significant drops we cancel and rebook, though I must admit that £35 at Premier Inn could tempt me to book there depending on the time of year.  The only problem with PI just off M271 when we stayed there it was Easter weekend and full of families who were visiting Peppa Pig Land.  It was unbelievably noisy with children crying and parents yelling at them, I would guess that outside of school holidays it is better.

I know that it’s our civic duty to do jury service, but I also know that I couldn’t cope with anything to do with children or violence. Fraud Ok, but I wouldn’t be able to view any upsetting evidence. I’ve never watched any crime programmes or detective series (apart from the Agatha Christie type). I’m afraid that it would all affect me mentally. Bad enough when social services were involved with some pupils in the past; I would want to know the general points but not the gory details. 

6 hours ago, ccpm said:

Brilliant sun here so much so that the low riders and I have been to Sheringham for a beach walk already. Beef already slowly cooking ready for lunch so ahead of myself. 6 hours until the boy dog returns can't wait for the little pack to be complete again, the lady dogs not so much.

Various cruise tasks to be undertaken today. (1) New roll on cabin case required bright and tacky as possible in case I decide to cast it into baggage collection at any point. (2) to get to grips with identifying either a Premier Inn or Travel Lodge that is on the A34 or M27 where I don't have to leave the road and drive into a town. I know I got petrol last year and there was one on site but for the life of me can't remember where it was. (3) Investigate the baggage handling company as to whether I can just use it one way i.e. going down to Southampton. Should occupy an hour or so.

When we cruise from Southampton we always stop for breakfast at the Apple Cart pub which is adjoining the Premier Inn Oxford South OX14 4TX, just off the Milton interchange.

Molly

Done, weeks holiday booked in a cottage in North Yorkshire in mid-May, we stayed there in 2010, for 3 days on a short break, this time a whole week. 

Now to look for a longer summer break, won’t be a cruise as we are leaving that until 2023 at the earliest hopefully cruising will be nearly back to normal by then. 🤞

40 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Now you've got me worried !

It was Easter weekend so bank holiday and school holidays, like I said it is probably better outside these times.  The other thing that I forgot to mention was there was no air con I wouldn't go in the middle of summer lol.

10 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

It was Easter weekend so bank holiday and school holidays, like I said it is probably better outside these times.  The other thing that I forgot to mention was there was no air con I wouldn't go in the middle of summer lol.

Yes, PI's when it is very cold or very hot are not great.

10 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

A question for those who have cruised recently from Southampton.  What tests did you have to take before and after the cruise ? 

Thanks

LFT before and PCR after in November 2021

2 hours ago, majortom10 said:

That is the one I am going to try to book I think

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

And now no test when you return. 

When we booked our upcoming holiday to Lanzagrote we were looking at around £200 for the various tests, plus the inconvenience of finding a clinic there to do the pre UK entry test. From 11th Feb no tests for us, result.

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

When we booked our upcoming holiday to Lanzagrote we were looking at around £200 for the various tests, plus the inconvenience of finding a clinic there to do the pre UK entry test. From 11th Feb no tests for us, result.

Yes the reduction in testing is great for travellers and the travel industry.

The downside is that the testing stations are reducing their opening hours, closing weekends or closing altogether. Some cruise lines still require a PCR done in advance for everyone sailing, some just for children. They will be more difficult to get.

Meantime place like Lanzarote where a lot of the faff is now gone will be more popular. Enjoy your trip, Lanzarote is my favourite Canary island.

• Like 1