P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

35 minutes ago, Host Sharon said:

Sorry Grapau but you haven't convinced me. The whole of the accommodation block is inset all round the ship so there is no view straight down, only over and across. We'll have to agree to differ on this one. I wouldn't get photos like the one below.

An Introduction to: P&O Cruises

831888885_078MaskedBoobywithflyingfish.thumb.jpg.ff471976ca6b48e3ab2c5fd0687c8e96.jpg

@Host Sharon.

Nice photos.

I can understand what you are saying for close up photography of sea animals or birds from Iona balconies.

I only post pictures to help readers to get a feel of the ship or the port and leave it to others like yourself to decide if it is for them or not.

On our cruise March 5th- 19th the average age was over 60 like most of our posters so I posted photos of all the outside seating to help.

I am 65 but this cruise was for Pauline's 60th birthday.

I am a Royal Caribbean loyalist but still had over 140 nights cruising on P&O because we love cruising small,medium or the largest ships.

Best regards.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Host Sharon said:

Sorry Grapau but you haven't convinced me. The whole of the accommodation block is inset all round the ship so there is no view straight down, only over and across, except for a few midships perhaps, but they are too high up with lifeboats underneath. We'll have to agree to differ on this one. I wouldn't get photos like the one below of a masked booby catching a flying fish.

Only Aurora on P&O has a full vertical view from the balconies  and even she has partial obstructions from the lifeboats along part of her length. The entire midship section on Arcadia looks down on the lifeboats, as does Britannia, and all Azura and Ventura's balconies look down on the overhanging C and D deck. So the view from Iona's balconies is very similar to the rest of the fleet.

• Thanks 1

I have only sat outdoors looking at the wake from fairly near the sea; I would not like it as much if I were high up on the ship.  I am actually thinking  of two other lines, Saga for the loungers on the old Sapphire, now gone, and Seabourn, where the Colonnade (buffet style) restaurant has a large open deck area at the stern - get there early for lunch, and you are able to grab a table for two right in the middle at the stern!  Just don't go early and leave a bag on the table; very much frowned on, quite rightly.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I have only sat outdoors looking at the wake from fairly near the sea; I would not like it as much if I were high up on the ship.  I am actually thinking  of two other lines, Saga for the loungers on the old Sapphire, now gone, and Seabourn, where the Colonnade (buffet style) restaurant has a large open deck area at the stern - get there early for lunch, and you are able to grab a table for two right in the middle at the stern!  Just don't go early and leave a bag on the table; very much frowned on, quite rightly.

I so miss the old-fashioned steamer chairs that used to be on the Promenades of the older P&O ships.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Host Sharon said:

Sorry Grapau but you haven't convinced me. The whole of the accommodation block is inset all round the ship so there is no view straight down, only over and across, except for a few midships perhaps, but they are too high up with lifeboats underneath. We'll have to agree to differ on this one. I wouldn't get photos like the one below of a masked booby catching a flying fish.

831888885_078MaskedBoobywithflyingfish.thumb.jpg.ff471976ca6b48e3ab2c5fd0687c8e96.jpg

I'm pretty sure the deck 5 cove balconies look straight down, I've seen some fabulous sea photos from down there. I know some people find them very enclosed but I find being so close to the sea very appealing. They're also probably the most private balconies on board. As long as they're far enough from the lifeboats they should have a fantastic view. 

1858-6c1fffe2ba0.jpg

Edited by Amyracecar
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

On Iona the big white roof cover over sunset bar means you have to get a higher deck balcony cabin to get a good view.

Graham.

38 minutes ago, Amyracecar said:

I'm pretty sure the deck 5 cove balconies look straight down, I've seen some fabulous sea photos from down there. I know some people find them very enclosed but I find being so close to the sea very appealing. They're also probably the most private balconies on board. As long as they're far enough from the lifeboats they should have a fantastic view. 

1858-6c1fffe2ba0.jpg

Those balconies on deck 5 under the lifeboats do look straight down.

The balconies looked small compared to ours.

This was Iona in Vigo.

Graham.

Screenshot_20220322_134615_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Those balconies on deck 5 under the lifeboats do look straight down.

The balconies looked small compared to ours.

This was Iona in Vigo.

Graham.

Screenshot_20220322_134615_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Also worth bearing in mind that those cabins are largely immediately underneath public areas, some of which could be noisy...

On 3/19/2022 at 5:25 PM, grapau27 said:

Good afternoon.

Just got home from Southampton after a 14 night cruise on Iona.

We had a fantastic time had had amazing views from our Aft Balcony.

Graham.

IMG_20220318_143452.jpg

IMG_20220310_194824.jpg

IMG_20220306_075414.jpg

Cabin 14739 is exactly what we have booked for a week sailing 2nd April.

Your photos have taken my excitement to a whole new level!

Thanks

Damian 

Edited by DamianG
  • Like 1

To be honest I rarely if ever have a balcony cabin (except with Saga) so the point was moot - just a general observation. What really irritated me is the high glass screens along most of the promenade deck, which is where I spend much of my sea days with camera in hand.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Host Sharon said:

To be honest I rarely if ever have a balcony cabin (except with Saga) so the point was moot - just a general observation. What really irritated me is the high glass screens along most of the promenade deck, which is where I spend much of my sea days with camera in hand.

Yeah, this is one thing I find disappointing about Iona, there are very limited public spaces without a glass screen, so taking photos without glass in the way if you don't have a balcony must be more difficult. I imagine when we get to the fjords there will be a rush each morning to get to the curved walkway on deck 8 with the lower barriers, or any other similar areas. (Are there any? All the pool areas seem to have full length glass screens) 

I'm a fan of old-school wooden-floored promenades where you can have a night time stroll before bedtime & look out to sea for a bit. I'll miss it. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DamianG said:

Cabin 14739 is exactly what we have booked for a week sailing 2nd April.

Your photos have taken my excitement to a whole new level!

Thanks

Damian 

Good choice Damian.

There is a sofa bed in this cabin too.

Graham.

IMG-20220322-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20220322-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20220322-WA0000.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good choice Damian.

There is a sofa bed in this cabin too.

Graham.

Yes, we always pick a cabin with a sofa bed for our son. I'm probably paranoid but I always imagine him falling out of a pullman bed!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, DamianG said:

Yes, we always pick a cabin with a sofa bed for our son. I'm probably paranoid but I always imagine him falling out of a pullman bed!

@DamianG

I have posted a few cabin pictures.

The sofa bed is next to the balcony door.

When you walk into the cabin the bathroom is on the left hand side as is the bed.

Really comfortable bed.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Host Sharon said:

I found the high glass screens odd but it was less windy walking around.

It was 910 steps walking around the full promenade which quite a lot of people were doing.

There were several infinity whirlpools on the promenade deck 8 which balcony cabins looked on to.

Graham.

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

I found the high glass screens odd but it was less windy walking around.

It was 910 steps walking around the full promenade which quite a lot of people were doing.

There were several infinity whirlpools on the promenade deck 8 which balcony cabins looked on to.

Graham.

I was chatting to someone at work today who said that her idea of cabin hell was the deck 8 cabins on IONA. I really don't get those at all ..... 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

I was chatting to someone at work today who said that her idea of cabin hell was the deck 8 cabins on IONA. I really don't get those at all ..... 

I absolutely agree.

The worst are the ones at the bow of the ship and there was people in those cabins when we walked around the promenade.

Graham.

• Like 1