P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, Peanut006 said:

I just wanted to say thank you everyone for your kind comments about my grandson and the antibiotic fiasco

Michelle

I hope your grandson is feeling much better now with having been able to get the medication. Awful stress for you all which shouldn’t have happened.

Gill x

• Like 5

9 hours ago, indiana123 said:

You may remember some time ago when an Officer drove into our garden wall causing a lot of damage. 

I do remember and it sounds like "Someone Somewhere is having a Toffee Crisp"

A few years ago I was sat in the first lane in my car at some traffic lights and a van 

decided he wanted my lane as we pulled away .

My insurance declared me a not at fault claim , so surely you sat in your house would

be classed the same as it was totally out of your control ?

I would appeal through the ombudsman and change companies for future use .

• Like 3

Hi all, I've not posted for a while after a difficult month but I still enjoy reading everyone's news and the debates on here.

My father passed away mid-November after a rotten 2 years for him. He went from fit and active to disabled in no time back in 2020 due to Guillain-Barre Syndrome, and the small chance he had of recovery disappeared during the 4 months he spent in 3 different hospitals whilst they tried to diagnose his symptoms. He moved into care in 2021 and remained mentally sharp with his usual friendliness and kindness towards others, despite being wheelchair bound. He was liked by everyone, especially the staff who appreciated his willingness to chat and listen to whatever they had to say.

On the 16th November I got a message that he had been taken to A&E before 8am and I got there with mum around 9am. We thought he would bounce back as usual but the doctor told us that he had caught pneumonia overnight and his chances of survival were slim. It was a complete shock as he was fine the day before. My sister joined us and we spent all day with him. He perked up in the afternoon but went downhill again and eventually passed away around 9:40pm.

He was still in A&E as they hadn't been able to find a ward bed to accommodate him. When he stopped breathing I went to find a nurse to tell them and they were completely shocked. It was the same with the doctor that they subsequently sent. They had just come onto the new shift and hadn't had a chance to catch up with the notes. 

You see horror stories in the press and on TV of A&E being crazy busy but it's hard to really take it in until you see it for yourself. There were patients everywhere, on trolleys and every spare seat. One lady in particular has stuck in my mind, as she was laying on a trolley near a corridor that I passed through when taking breaks. She was there mid-afternoon and still there when we left around 10:30pm.

It took a week for the death certificate to be issued, and we are still sorting out the financial side of things. The funeral arrangements caused a lot of heartache, but ultimately we had the best day we could have had, with over 200 in church for a lovely service, and it was a bright, clear day. I'm not the most confident public speaker, but managed to keep my nerves in check to deliver the eulogy, and I got a round of applause afterwards. So many people I didn't know came to introduce themselves and say well done afterwards. We also saw childhood friends for the first time in years. The afternoon reception went very well, and I stayed until the last relatives left at 7:15pm.

We are now back in Brithdir at my sister-in-laws for a few days getting away from it all, and it's just the ticket. Teddy made friends with a cow and we enjoyed some bracing fresh air at Barmouth yesterday. We've had a mini-Christmas dinner with a turkey and ham pie, then a "Boxing Day" style buffet with loads of snack food and home made mulled wine. It's been lovely getting away and having time to reflect.

I'm looking forward to everyone's Christmas news over the next week or so. Happy Christmas all.

Damian

IMG_2970.JPEG

IMG_2961.JPG

IMG_2947.jpg

Edited by DamianG
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 2

It is sobering to read of others sadness and problems, especially at a time of joy and families.

My best wishes to all, it's been a pleasure to be a part of your lives and I hope those who are experiencing sadness, can have a couple of days of joy.

Happy Christmas.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, DamianG said:

Hi all, I've not posted for a while after a difficult month but I still enjoy reading everyone's news and the debates on here.

My father passed away mid-November after a rotten 2 years for him. He went from fit and active to disabled in no time back in 2020 due to Guillain-Barre Syndrome, and the small chance he had of recovery disappeared during the 4 months he spent in 3 different hospitals whilst they tried to diagnose his symptoms. He moved into care in 2021 and remained mentally sharp with his usual friendliness and kindness towards others, despite being wheelchair bound. He was liked by everyone, especially the staff who appreciated his willingness to chat and listen to whatever they had to say.

On the 16th November I got a message that he had been taken to A&E before 8am and I got there with mum around 9am. We thought he would bounce back as usual but the doctor told us that he had caught pneumonia overnight and his chances of survival were slim. It was a complete shock as he was fine the day before. My sister joined us and we spent all day with him. He perked up in the afternoon but went downhill again and eventually passed away around 9:40pm.

He was still in A&E as they hadn't been able to find a ward bed to accommodate him. When he stopped breathing I went to find a nurse to tell them and they were completely shocked. It was the same with the doctor that they subsequently sent. They had just come onto the new shift and hadn't had a chance to catch up with the notes. 

You see horror stories in the press and on TV of A&E being crazy busy but it's hard to really take it in until you see it for yourself. There were patients everywhere, on trolleys and every spare seat. One lady in particular has stuck in my mind, as she was laying on a trolley near a corridor that I passed through when taking breaks. She was there mid-afternoon and still there when we left around 10:30pm.

It took a week for the death certificate to be issued, and we are still sorting out the financial side of things. The funeral arrangements caused a lot of heartache, but ultimately we had the best day we could have had, with over 200 in church for a lovely service, and it was a bright, clear day. I'm not the most confident public speaker, but managed to keep my nerves in check to deliver the eulogy, and I got a round of applause afterwards. So many people I didn't know came to introduce themselves and say well done afterwards. We also saw childhood friends for the first time in years. The afternoon reception went very well, and I stayed until the last relatives left at 7:15pm.

We are now back in Brithdir at my sister-in-laws for a few days getting away from it all, and it's just the ticket. Teddy made friends with a cow and we enjoyed some bracing fresh air at Barmouth yesterday. We've had a mini-Christmas dinner with a turkey and ham pie, then a "Boxing Day" style buffet with loads of snack food and home made mulled wine. It's been lovely getting away and having time to reflect.

I'm looking forward to everyone's Christmas news over the next week or so. Happy Christmas all.

Damian

IMG_2970.JPEG

IMG_2961.JPG

IMG_2947.jpg

Sorry for your loss Damian,he must have been a popular bloke to have 200 people there.Hats off to you for delivering the eulogy,most of us including me leave it to the vicar.Best wishes,Brian.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, DamianG said:

My father passed away mid-November

Sorry to hear of your loss Damian and feel for you at this time of year (not there is a good time) We lost ours, me also mid November and the Mrs lost her Dad on Christmas day.

The good news is he will always be in your heart and mind and from what I've read of the funeral, he would be so very proud of you .

Best wishes to you and your family .

Edited by kalos
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

My daughter managed to get antibiotics for him after ringing 15 pharmacies 

What a relief, he should start to feel better soon

Michelle

So pleased to hear the good news Michelle. Hopefully by now they are starting to kick in. Have a great Christmas. Xx

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, DamianG said:

Damian

IMG_2970.JPEG

IMG_2961.JPG

IMG_2947.jpg

So sorry to read your post Damian. What a dreadful time for you and the family.

Your Teddy looks like he is keeping everyone’s sprits up tho.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It took me back a year to read your post, Damian.  It was at Christmas last year when I lost my husband; at least he was able to be in hospital being well looked after, after  a short wait in A and E being attended to.  I am so relieved  that it was not happening now.

I didn't think previously that I cared much about anniversaries, but am finding that I do this year.  I will be with family for nearly a week, which will help a lot - it is just coming back to an empty house which is a bit difficult.

Enough moaning; I am mostly fairly cheerful and see friends etc.  I  know it will get less sharp as time goes on - and he had had a long and mainly fit and successful life.  And it seems the same applies to your father, Damian, and that is the most important thing, as we all have to go sometime.  I'm sure you will be taking extra care of your mother, as my children are for me.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Angel57 said:

I hope your grandson is feeling much better now with having been able to get the medication. Awful stress for you all which shouldn’t have happened.

Gill x

He is feeling much better thank goodness, way too stressful 

Michelle 

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, DamianG said:

Damian

IMG_2970.JPEG

IMG_2961.JPG

IMG_2947.jpg

Really sorry to hear this Damian, you did will delivering the eulogy I know I couldn’t have done that. Best wishes to you all

Michelle

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

He is feeling much better thank goodness, way too stressful 

When it comes to Grandkids I think we would rather be ill than them but great to hear he's on the mend, just in time to give you great memories over Christmas time .:classic_love:

• Like 5

2 hours ago, DamianG said:

Damian

IMG_2970.JPEG

IMG_2961.JPG

IMG_2947.jpg

Sorry to hear about your loss, but although it is painful to loose someone you love memories will live on. Wishing you all the best.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@DamianG I’m so sorry to hear of your loss, the dreadful circumstances and the following issues. Things should just not be like that, it’s hard enough to lose a loved one with out the rest. I’m so glad the funeral went well.

Enjoy  your time away and take some”you” time as you will need it now more than ever.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DamianG said:

My father passed away mid-November 

I'm so sorry for your loss Damian. Try to put the hospital stress behind you and move forward with all the happy memories you have of him. 

Best wishes to you and your family for a peaceful Christmas and New Year.

Avril and Frank x

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1