P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

19 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

My lips are sealed bro.🤐

Hope the foot is still healing well.

Sis

Thanks sis,I'm doing 5 miles brisk walking a day now.Not as fast as before,that's what caused the blisters.Building up to it,bro.

Edited by brian1
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

Thanks sis,I'm doing 5 miles brisk walking a day now.Not as fast as before,that's what caused the blisters.Building up to it,bro.

Well done Brian.

I'm pleased to hear your foot is healing well.

congratulations-clapping.gif.dac4a2fc45e7863d14234388f5a33dab.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Had to laugh earlier,I was working out with dumbells in our communal front garden.Our American neighbour leans over his balcony.Imagine New Jersey accent "hey dude you gotta stop workn out,ya make the Rock look like a pebble".We're going round for drinks later,he understands me now,bit like Delboy meets Scarface.

• Haha 13

5 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Sending you my best wishes Jane that your doctor's consultation is fine and you can relax with another cup of coffee.

Take care.

Graham x

Hello Graham.

Thanks so much for your good wishes. Everything went well with the GP thanks. It was supposed to be a telephone consultation but she converted it to a face to face. My problem was a very painful and large swelling in my mouth - fairly near the site of my recent tooth extraction which has now healed. Anyway, long story short, GP sent me to the dentist as she thought it was infected bone. The dentist fitted me in urgently and it is indeed an infection caused by the remainder of a small piece of tooth. All sorted now and on antibiotics again. Phew! That cup of coffee was very welcome by the time I got home.

I wish you and Pauline a very happy and peaceful Easter. Very best wishes. Jane xxxx

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Hello Graham.

Thanks so much for your good wishes. Everything went well with the GP thanks. It was supposed to be a telephone consultation but she converted it to a face to face. My problem was a very painful and large swelling in my mouth - fairly near the site of my recent tooth extraction which has now healed. Anyway, long story short, GP sent me to the dentist as she thought it was infected bone. The dentist fitted me in urgently and it is indeed an infection caused by the remainder of a small piece of tooth. All sorted now and on antibiotics again. Phew! That cup of coffee was very welcome by the time I got home.

I wish you and Pauline a very happy and peaceful Easter. Very best wishes. Jane xxxx

Thank you Jane.

I'm pleased your dentist sorted your pain and hopefully your antibiotics clear up the infection.

Sending you our best wishes for you to have a lovely Easter.

Graham xx

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Wowzz,  are you Elite on Princess,if so do you still get the one off mini bar set up if you are Proncess plus? 

John, yes you do still get the Elite mini bar set up.  You can still exchange it for soft drinks but no longer for a coffee card (which is pointless if you are plus or premier anyway). 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Beckett said:

My problem was a very painful and large swelling in my mouth - fairly near the site of my recent tooth extraction which has now healed. Anyway, long story short, GP sent me to the dentist as she thought it was infected bone. The dentist fitted me in urgently and it is indeed an infection caused by the remainder of a small piece of tooth. All sorted now and on antibiotics again. Phew!

Hope that's you now pain free and on the road to recovery Jane .🙂

Did I ever tell you about a mate of mine who had a similar problem and tooth extraction .

Amazingly he did a DIY tooth implant and you would never had known if it wasn't for it 

coming out in conversation !😉

Take care :classic_love:

• Haha 10

1 hour ago, Beckett said:

Hello Graham.

I hope that clears up quickly, Jane.  I had something very similar recently after an extraction. It seemed to be taking ages to calm down, and then, suddenly a tiny piece of left behind tooth appeared and everything calmed down immediately. Hope yours goes the same way.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Have you been holding out on us lincslady? Is there something you'd like to confess? 😎😁

Avril

Not really, just that I have met quite a few people from those parts, and enjoy imitating their accent.   Mine is just a  bog-standard slightly northern English, less interesting, unless of course you come from Noo Joisey, when they rave about our accents and lovely English complexions.  If you have cruised on American lines you will know what I mean.  It makes a nice change to be thought a bit special though.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Not really, just that I have met quite a few people from those parts, and enjoy imitating their accent.   Mine is just a  bog-standard slightly northern English, less interesting, unless of course you come from Noo Joisey, when they rave about our accents and lovely English complexions.  If you have cruised on American lines you will know what I mean.  It makes a nice change to be thought a bit special though.

Several quite different accents/dialects in Lincolnshire though - big county.  If you compare, say, Louth, with, say, Long Sutton, you'd not put the accents in the same county.  Though having said that, they're all being mixed, merged and watered down now.  Quite a shame really.  Used to know an actor from Lincolnshire who could speak in a genuine mid-Lincs rural dialect and it was almost like a foreign language!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Several quite different accents/dialects in Lincolnshire though - big county.  If you compare, say, Louth, with, say, Long Sutton, you'd not put the accents in the same county.  Though having said that, they're all being mixed, merged and watered down now.  Quite a shame really.  Used to know an actor from Lincolnshire who could speak in a genuine mid-Lincs rural dialect and it was almost like a foreign language!

Harry it’s not an area or accent I’m familiar with. Any actors or MPs etc that have the accent so I know what you are describing?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

I hope that clears up quickly, Jane.  I had something very similar recently after an extraction. It seemed to be taking ages to calm down, and then, suddenly a tiny piece of left behind tooth appeared and everything calmed down immediately. Hope yours goes the same way.

Thanks very much Harry. Yes my situation is exactly as you described for yourself. As I had the extraction weeks ago I was also thinking it should have calmed down by now. Still, all is well and I feel much much better already now the pressure has been released. Jane xx

• Like 5

2 hours ago, lincslady said:

We are special @lincslady!  I love the way folks from Noo Joisey say coffee - caafee.  My accent is bog- standard North London/Hertfordshire. Not as posh as a news reader but not as common as Gemma Collins! My dad was born and bred in Sunderland and, despite living in London for many years, he never lost his accent;  but when we went North to see family they would say "Eee, our Jimmy sounds like a soft Southerner now". I love listening to different accents but Geordie is my favourite. J.xx

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Beckett said:

We are special @lincslady!  I love the way folks from Noo Joisey say coffee - caafee.  My accent is bog- standard North London/Hertfordshire. Not as posh as a news reader but not as common as Gemma Collins! My dad was born and bred in Sunderland and, despite living in London for many years, he never lost his accent;  but when we went North to see family they would say "Eee, our Jimmy sounds like a soft Southerner now". I love listening to different accents but Geordie is my favourite. J.xx

As I get more deaf with age, I long to hear a crisp clean BBC accent from the actors on TV programmes. The mutterings, whisperings, background music and the unintelligible accents on some TV programmes is very tiresome, and trying to keep up with the action, and read subtitles at the same time rather takes the enjoyment out of many programmes.

• Like 8

I seem to have inadvertently started a topic here!  I don't have a Lincolnshire accent, since I hail from Cheshire and have only lived in Lincs for 20 years.  I completely relate to what terrierjohn has just said being rather deaf.  There are some very strange linking voices on TV recently and I cannot get a word - and they don't even sound genuine.  I even find the two Scottish political chaps on the BBC a bit hard to follow - and often use subtitles, though they are naturally a pain in live broadcasting.

Marginally related - I have just seen in the paper that the Italian government is  banning the use of English words, so, Brian, you had better keep schtum!

I was lucky to have just woken after about 7 hours, so a bit livelier than usual today.  I hope everyone here has a lovely Easter weekend, without getting caught up in travel problems.

• Like 10

8 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Harry it’s not an area or accent I’m familiar with. Any actors or MPs etc that have the accent so I know what you are describing?

Mike Yarwood?

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I seem to have inadvertently started a topic here!  I don't have a Lincolnshire accent, since I hail from Cheshire and have only lived in Lincs for 20 years.  I completely relate to what terrierjohn has just said being rather deaf.  There are some very strange linking voices on TV recently and I cannot get a word - and they don't even sound genuine.  I even find the two Scottish political chaps on the BBC a bit hard to follow - and often use subtitles, though they are naturally a pain in live broadcasting.

Marginally related - I have just seen in the paper that the Italian government is  banning the use of English words, so, Brian, you had better keep schtum!

I was lucky to have just woken after about 7 hours, so a bit livelier than usual today.  I hope everyone here has a lovely Easter weekend, without getting caught up in travel problems.

No worries,I don't speak English proper anyway.

• Haha 7

Our friends from a rural area outside Boston are coming over next week.I'd describe their accent like Derbyshire without using meduck and pronouncing words like few, foo.When I worked in Ashby de la Zouch for 6 months the accents there overlapped big time being on the borders of about 5 counties.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Jim Broadbent comes from just north of Lincoln and he can do one, but I’d struggle to find a clip!

It’s now dying out fast, but here’s an example:

As you get nearer the Norfolk border though, it merges with the very different Norfolk accent.

Still prefer the Suffolk accent - but that’s dying out too.  Essex once had a similar accent (my grandparents had it) but it’s mostly been swamped by a London mix now.

• Like 3

Good morning on this Good Friday ,hope you are all well.🙂

Accents and sayings from different parts of our country are great aren't they ?

When I'm in the Lincs area I note more often than not, someone thanking us will say..

"Cheers Doll " ,which I never seem to hear anywhere else.

Around my neck of the woods ,this turns into "Cheers Love" as we are lovable people.

A lot of words around here are turned into just one word to save breath and energy ...

For example " hasthargooraquidtolendus ?"  (Could you lend us a pound ?)

Which is often met with an energy saving "NO "   

Once in our yard at work I thought I had met a  terminally ill lorry driver from Birmingham ,

when he said " I wuzz told by me gaffer to come here to die "😮

Scotland chippy's will want to sell you a fish supper regardless of the time of the day .

And as for the Russian president ,I don't think his accent is Russian at all ..

To me he's just Putin it on 😉

However you say it ..have a lovely day and take care :classic_love:

• Like 1
  • Haha 8