P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

11 hours ago, grapau27 said:

My late mam was the cook supervisor at the school near us.

My late Mother In Law was also a school cook.  That was when schools had 'proper' food, I don't think its the same nowadays.  Her ginger biscuits were legendary 🙂

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, Waju said:

My late Mother In Law was also a school cook.  That was when schools had 'proper' food, I don't think its the same nowadays.  Her ginger biscuits were legendary 🙂

My daughter is a school cook. She really takes her role seriously and would love to have free rein to cook 'proper food' for the children but you're right Waju, things aren't the same nowadays. And of course the constraints are all about money, and the products the providers the schools are obliged to use provide. Strict rotating menus have to be followed and there's no room for flair or imagination. It's such a shame.  She tries very hard to add her own little twists to the menus for flavour and presentation because she really wants the children to enjoy her food. Jane xx

• Like 11

26 minutes ago, Waju said:

Am I the only one in the world who liked tapioca pudding (frog spawn).

• Haha 7

Morning 12.c and it's peeing it down , missing Madeira already .

For those of you into aircraft, here is the approach 05 runway only

certain pilots are qualified to land there.

It's a weird feeling as they drop into the valley ,a quick burst of power

and you are down .

Hope you all have a great day .🙂

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Hi Everyone.

We've had heavy and constant rain since about 3pm yesterday with no break expected until this afternoon. It's mild though and Ted is delighted as his exercise field is flooded and a no-go area. He's sitting here now looking very smug.

@kalos Thanks for the lovely photos. Sounds like you've had a really good time.

@Megabear2 I'm exhausted. Your packing list has worn me out. My first thought was blimey, she's going to need a bigger cabin!

Have a good day day everyone. Try to stay dry and be well. Jane xx

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Am I the only one in the world who liked tapioca pudding (frog 

Yes Brian, I suspect you are! Ugh, ugh, ugh. Jane xx

• Haha 9

1 minute ago, Beckett said:

Yes Brian, I suspect you are! Ugh, ugh, ugh. Jane xx

Yeah,it's a shame Octopus wasn't around back in the day.Great dinner and "afters".

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, brian1 said:

No!  I love milk puddings 🙂

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Beckett said:

My daughter is a school cook. She really takes her role seriously and would love to have free rein to cook 'proper food' for the children but you're right Waju, things aren't the same nowadays. And of course the constraints are all about money, and the products the providers the schools are obliged to use provide. Strict rotating menus have to be followed and there's no room for flair or imagination. It's such a shame.  She tries very hard to add her own little twists to the menus for flavour and presentation because she really wants the children to enjoy her food. Jane xx

You're right it's all about money - my Uncle used to be a hospital cook many years ago and they used to have a budget, per person, per day - it was pennies.  

They should let the people like your daughter, who obviously know what they're doing and want to do a good job have free rein to do so!  Do you know, I bet they would be better off nipping to Aldi every morning for fresh ingredients for the day rather than using the huge suppliers of (probably) frozen stuff.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Yeah,it's a shame Octopus wasn't around back in the day.Great dinner and "afters".

I don't suppose your energy company is run by ...🤣

I just learned that an octopus’s brain is wrapped around it’s oesophagus.

Now that’s food for thought.🙃😄

• Haha 3

When we went to the Giants Causeway we wore sketchers it's a paved path only when you go on the "stones" but they weren't slippery we had great weather and a very good excursion there hope you have the same

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Waju said:

You're right it's all about money - my Uncle used to be a hospital cook many years ago and they used to have a budget, per person, per day - it was pennies.  

They should let the people like your daughter, who obviously know what they're doing and want to do a good job have free rein to do so!  Do you know, I bet they would be better off nipping to Aldi every morning for fresh ingredients for the day rather than using the huge suppliers of (probably) frozen stuff.

Crazy how the big folk calling the shots run things .

We could never understand how our firm used to use a business supplier to 

buy biro pens that cost them £££'s and yet you could buy about 20 for £1  in 

the local pound shops .

Yet anything else we were told to keep the costs down 🤔

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, kalos said:

Morning 12.c and it's peeing it down , missing Madeira already .

For those of you into aircraft, here is the approach 05 runway only

certain pilots are qualified to land there.

It's a weird feeling as they drop into the valley ,a quick burst of power

and you are down .

Hope you all have a great day .🙂

Very interesting Kalos.

I'm pleased you had a great time in Madeira.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well I gave up on going to bed - the cat wasn't too impressed to see me - so I cat napped in the recliner for an hour or so instead.  

The pile of removed clothing is now considerably higher though. It will now be a wait to see if the weather forecast for drier weather over the weekend is true.  It's rained here since 5.00pm yesterday, not the buckets we've become accustomed to but still fairly wet.

Hairdresser at 11.00am and due to the city centre being dug up still I can't park anywhere near. Here's betting the deluge will come exactly as I exit and a sad end to my £250.

• Like 8

Good morning.

It is 12°C misty, raining and windy here.

After a couple of early morning 5.30am wake ups I was a sleepy head and woke up at 8.30am this morning.

I hope everyone stays safe in today's bad weather.

Pyjama day for us.

• Like 7

It was raining when we went to bed last night, still raining this morning and according to Yellow Warning will be raining until 6 am tomorrow. So no gardening today, will sort a couple of overnight stays for our Brittany Trip and the Le Shuttle booking, plus some remote volunteering work on my laptop. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kalos said:

Crazy how the big folk calling the shots run things .

We could never understand how our firm used to use a business supplier to 

buy biro pens that cost them £££'s and yet you could buy about 20 for £1  in 

the local pound shops .

Yet anything else we were told to keep the costs down 🤔

It was exactly the same where I worked!  

I have a friend whose company have just had their car park jet washed - one  man - it took a week.  Everyone I tell the story to guesses it cost around £2000?  They paid £8600 - madness!

• Like 2

Busy yesterday morning.Checked in on our TUI flight to Budapest monday.Picking up a 11 day river cruise to Frankfurt.Sorted travel ins on Meerkat for cheapo £22 for 2 of us.It's all EU so just went for the cheapest,the Post Office,lol.Booked our rail from Blackfriars to LGW sunday,staying in Premier inn.£15.70 for 2.I then realised I could have booked it £8 cheaper from Croydon East cos our freedom pass goes there.That's a pint of Stella in the PI,never mind.Cheers,Brian.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Pyjama day for us.

Decorating day for us --- groan. No escaping it in this weather. I hate stripping the walls ...... oh well, better get back to it. 😞

• Like 6

Oh happy day!  I've just had an email from Cunard to tell me the icing just went on my cake BIG time!!!!  

"We are thrilled to announce the world-renowned Italian tenor Andrea Bocelli will be performing. The maestro will be joined by legendary Liverpudlian TV personality and DJ, Craig Charles who will be teaming up with Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra for a unique collaboration. Craig will keep the party going until the grand finale, when Queen Anne sails away as light falls."

Can't contain the excitement now, my 80's hero Midge Ure on board and now my ultimate present in Andre Bocelli.  

• Like 17

5 hours ago, brian1 said:

No bro, you're not. I love all milk puddings, much to my daughter's disgust.😬 Rice, tapioca ,sago and my favourite, my Mum's macaroni milk pudding😋 I had many a clip round the ear for trying to slurp the milk through a soggy piece of macaroni😁

Sis

• Haha 8

17 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

I used to make some of my own clothes but these days my sewing machine only comes out to do repairs. 

I used to have a hand sewing machine, that was until I discovered that our 

local A&E department could do a better job than me.🙃😉😀

• Haha 3

Well it was beautiful here this morning and now the rain is Storting down, bouncing odd the windows and there is thunder and lightening. I have had to put on a lamp as it is dark.

I think I’ll do some baking - comfort food for sitting out the storm.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

Oh happy day!  I've just had an email from Cunard to tell me the icing just went on my cake BIG time!!!!  

"We are thrilled to announce the world-renowned Italian tenor Andrea Bocelli will be performing. The maestro will be joined by legendary Liverpudlian TV personality and DJ, Craig Charles who will be teaming up with Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra for a unique collaboration. Craig will keep the party going until the grand finale, when Queen Anne sails away as light falls."

Can't contain the excitement now, my 80's hero Midge Ure on board and now my ultimate present in Andre Bocelli.  

Wow, it's going to be an excellent cruise. I also like Craig Charles. I think I have watched every Red Dwarf episode.

Forget about the clothes and enjoy yourself 

• Like 6