P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

22 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Majority of shop jobs are now on a part time basis wowzz. When I began working for WHS in 1996 the average hours were 20/22 hours pw for counter staff in most stores.

Avril

All I can say is that all of the supermarkets in our area are desperately short of staff, and all have full time vacancies.

If you want to work part time, fine, but that would be a personal choice.

And as to overtime not being available - again, around here the supermarkets are begging people to work overtime.

It is important to realise that what was the case even 10 years ago, is not the case now, so quoting what things were like then is irrelevant.

• Like 1

Morning everyone, It's a bit cooler today16.c (back in the Goldilocks zone )

This time yesterday it was passing 21.c and reached 30.c 

Think today I'm going to do naff all so I best make a start as this could take all day .:classic_wink:

Have a nice weekend everyone .:classic_love:

• Like 3

An interesting or coincidental bit of management on a news programme I saw yesterday about the hot weather. Immediately following a report from a primary school in Liverpool, who were supervising young children applying sunscreen, small tubes of which had been given to the school because parents struggled to afford their own, they cut to Royal Ascot from where they reported that men were excused from wearing top hats and ties because of the heat. Surely a coincidental piece of reporting.😉

12 minutes ago, pete14 said:

An interesting or coincidental bit of management on a news programme I saw yesterday about the hot weather. Immediately following a report from a primary school in Liverpool, who were supervising young children applying sunscreen, small tubes of which had been given to the school because parents struggled to afford their own, they cut to Royal Ascot from where they reported that men were excused from wearing top hats and ties because of the heat. Surely a coincidental piece of reporting.😉

I’m glad you mentioned Royal Ascot. I have no objections to moneyed people spending their money in any way they wish, but it really sickens me to see the hereditary family gadding about in their finery day after day. Out of touch? I think so. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

I’m glad you mentioned Royal Ascot. I have no objections to moneyed people spending their money in any way they wish, but it really sickens me to see the hereditary family gadding about in their finery day after day. Out of touch? I think so. 

Don't worry, Henley regatta soon. That's a little less formal. If rich folk wish to spend their hard earned money in that way, why not?. Isn't it a bit like formal night, folk gadding about in their finery ?.

• Like 3

Bit of a nip in the air this morning, 22oC when we went to bed, 11oC when we got up, albeit we were up early this morning at 07:30. I thought I would nip to th'Asda and fill up with petrol before it went up again.

Plenty of jobs on offer at Asda, someone who works at Tesco told us one of the problems is getting full time staff as lots of people can only work about 20 hours a week or they lose one of their benefits/tax credit?

6 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Don't worry, Henley regatta soon. That's a little less formal. If rich folk wish to spend their hard earned money in that way, why not?. Isn't it a bit like formal night, folk gadding about in their finery ?.

I think you missed the bit about 'hereditary family' zap99 😁

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mrsgoggins said:

All this is way outside my understanding. This is a new phenomena that I don't get. Rich folk, poor folk, jealousy, envy, some have, some don't. This must be new. Never happened in the old days.🤣

5 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

Don't all families have hereditary characteristics. Colour of, eyes, hair, good genes, bad genes. Or is it only inherited wealth that is objectionable.?. Just saying🤔

8 minutes ago, zap99 said:

All this is way outside my understanding. This is a new phenomena that I don't get. Rich folk, poor folk, jealousy, envy, some have, some don't. This must be new. Never happened in the old days.🤣

I don't really have any skin in this particular theme zap99, but I don't think the post by Ardennais had anything to do with jealousy or envy.  In fact, it made me laugh, hence my response, (but I do know where she's coming from).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

I don't really have any skin in this particular theme zap99, but I don't think the post by Ardennais had anything to do with jealousy or envy.  In fact, it made me laugh, hence my response, (but I do know where she's coming from).

I too don't have much interest in this, but wondered what is sickening about a hereditary family, when we are all in hereditary families. Last comment.

41 minutes ago, zap99 said:

As I said, if private citizens have made their own money, fair enough. It’s the family right at the top that gets me. For goodness sake, if they have to attend these functions, then at least show some self-awareness and rewear your costly clothes and hats. You can argue that the formal events are their so-called working shifts, but Royal Ascot is most certainly not and neither is the regatta! 

34 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Nothing to do with jealously or envy. All to do with subsidising this lot at the top.  And in the old days, people didn’t know any better! They were brainwashed into loving the hereditary family. 

Just now, Ardennais said:

As I said, if private citizens have made their own money, fair enough. It’s the family right at the top that gets me. For goodness sake, if they have to attend these functions, then at least show some self-awareness and rewear your costly clothes and hats. You can argue that the formal events are their so-called working shifts, but Royal Ascot is most certainly not and neither is the regatta! 

Oh!. Thanks for your clarification. I get your point now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

Oh!. Thanks for your clarification. I get your point now.

I’ve said it before, I have nothing against them personally.  But one branch is now looking for another grace and favour residence in Windsor, but are keeping their grace and favour London base, and hanging on to their current country pile in Norfolk too, just in case. There’s something badly wrong  somewhere. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

🤔 Are you sure?.

9 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

I’ve said it before, I have nothing against them personally.  But one branch is now looking for another grace and favour residence in Windsor, but are keeping their grace and favour London base, and hanging on to their current country pile in Norfolk too, just in case. There’s something badly wrong  somewhere. 

Thanks for explaining that, but to be honest I must declare a non interest.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Thanks for explaining that, but to be honest I must declare a non interest.

Me too.

Far more important things to worry about - like why are my roses so awful this year !

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

And of course, our previous supply of workers from eastern europe has now been turned off, which is having a big effect on staff shortages in many areas, particular hospitality and agriculture.  Don't worry, I'm not going down the 'Harry route' ..... although I could 😉😁!

Not sure which bit of the 'Harry route' that is, mrsgoggins, but on two particular issues almost all of the predictions have, unfortunately, been fulfilled.  I wish they hadn't.

• Like 4

On 6/12/2022 at 1:21 PM, grapau27 said:

We got our brand new Renault Captur on Thursday.

Lovely car.

IMG-20220602-WA0003.jpg

IMG_20220609_152727.jpg

Fabulous car! We took delivery of our brand new CLIO on 1st March, it handles like a dream, just got back from Perranporth in it...magic! 😎

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Not sure which bit of the 'Harry route' that is, mrsgoggins, but on two particular issues almost all of the predictions have, unfortunately, been fulfilled.  I wish they hadn't.

Harry. Did you have any predictions for Ascot?.🤣🐎

On 6/13/2022 at 9:40 AM, Snow Hill said:

Today I am test driving a Toyota Yaris Cross Hybrid, unlike my aborted non- Renault Captur Hybrid test drive on Saturday, Toyota have confirmed that have a car to test drive, unlike Renault, question will be asked if folding electric wing mirrors are present and working in the model, after Renault Salesperson’s ridiculous claim that there was a world wide short of chips for folding wing mirrors across all manufacturers. 

Hi Snow Hill, just picking up on this thread after a week. We were told by Renault that they had discontinued the folding wing mirrors because the motors were burning out and having lots of complaints about them. Glad it was not just me.

• Thanks 1