P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

5 minutes ago, Jennizor said:

These days I only make Christmas cakes. One for my sister, one that I cut in half for me and my daughter-law and up to this year one for my granddaughter who lives in Australia. I sent her cake last year in December, it was never delivered and returned to me in July. We don’t know what happened but Jessica never got the usual note to go to the parcel office to pick it up. As you can imagine the cake was in a terrible state after travelling round the world and back and spending months in a sorting office. All the chocolates I sent with it were in a dreadful state too.it cost nearly £30 to send it. I have told her to come home for her next one (I miss her so much).

What a real shame. Yes the overseas postal service was never reliable and is now so expensive.

We have family in Europe and post Brexit it has become an faff, expensive, almost impossible to send anything because of all the customs forms and the extra duty to be paid. It’s now at the point that a Ryanair flight can be cheaper than the freight costs and import costs of even modest Christmas gifts. We used to just be able to fill a box and send it.

At least with modern technology you can talk over zoom etc but it’s not the same and you can’t eat Grandmas Christmas cake. Let’s hope she gets home soon.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

What a real shame. Yes the overseas postal service was never reliable and is now so expensive.

We have family in Europe and post Brexit it has become an faff, expensive, almost impossible to send anything because of all the customs forms and the extra duty to be paid. It’s now at the point that a Ryanair flight can be cheaper than the freight costs and import costs of even modest Christmas gifts. We used to just be able to fill a box and send it.

At least with modern technology you can talk over zoom etc but it’s not the same and you can’t eat Grandmas Christmas cake. Let’s hope she gets home soon.

Posting abroad is extortionate. One small calendar to Australia this week and the cost to send was almost £7……

• Like 2

Only 6c and rainy here, at least the football is cheering me up. Now that we have fully functioning smart meters it’s alarming how much it costs even before any really cold weather, currently about £3.50 in electricity and £5 gas per day, and that’s with the heating turned down a degree or so from previous years and 5 of our 15 radiators turned off in unused rooms.

I think that it was announced last week the oil dependant heating households would now get £200, I think it also applies to other fuels as well?

For a few months now I can’t sign into this site on my old iPad but can on this newer iPad and my laptop.

Edited by Splice the mainbrace
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

Posting abroad is extortionate. One small calendar to Australia this week and the cost to send was almost £7……

We have a son in Sydney, 2 years ago my wife sent his Christmas present at about this time of year and it arrived 4 months later in the following March!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Filthy wet morning here, but blue sky now!  Madness.  We haven’t needed the heating on yet, other than 2 ladder radiators in the wet places on for one hour twice per day.  No doubt it will get cold soon but I’m very pleased at still being CH free on 21 November.  Perhaps we’ll even make a profit from the govt subsidy (doubt it)

This is a peril of this time of year 🙂F97DDB6A-027A-4DEC-9974-54ABDA2E1828.thumb.jpeg.9861ad3ee5960f466d8f22c396ee61c2.jpeg

• Haha 3

I had to pay a visit to the doctor this morning because I have had a painful ear for over a week and the drops that I  got from the pharmacy have done no good, I am now on a course of antibiotics.  When I  got home DH suggested that we went to do our Christmas shopping even though we had torrential rain. We have got most of our shopping done though so it was a total waste of time.

I am impressed with how much @Eglesbrech has already  prepared for the festive season.  I have only made some mince pies and put them in the freezer and I have made most of my Chistmas cards.

• Like 4

Hi everyone, hope you are all keeping well.

It was  nice morning here but started raining about 1pm and hasn’t stopped yet.

Hubby has gone to see a tribute band in Halifax tonight, The Australian Pink Floyd. He has seen them before and says they are brilliant. It’s just me and the dogs at home tonight.

I have an MRI on Thursday, my consultant has referred me to possibly go on new medication for my MS, trials show it had stabilised or slowed down progression in 37% of case so fingers crossed I am a suitable candidate.

Take care everyone

Michelle

• Like 22

1 hour ago, Peanut006 said:

Hubby has gone to see a tribute band in Halifax tonight, The Australian Pink Floyd. He has seen them before and says they are brilliant. It’s just me and the dogs at home tonight.

I have an MRI on Thursday, my consultant has referred me to possibly go on new medication for my MS, trials show it had stabilised or slowed down progression in 37% of case so fingers crossed I am a suitable candidate.

Take care everyone

Michelle

Gosh that would be wonderful for you Michelle.
Will keep everything crossed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Peanut006 said:

Take care everyone

Michelle

Good luck with the MRI on Thursday. It would be wonderful if they could slow down the the progression. 

• Like 2

No overnight frost here, but a very wet day has been raining since late morning and is still doing so, been quite dark as well. Two flood warnings issued in the west and south west of the county this evening for low lying land and roads. 

Yes I did watch the England v Iran game, an excellent start to the competition, unfortunately can’t say the same about Wales this evening. 

A bit of online shopping this afternoon, some bits for my greenhouse, plus solar lights I was eying up a few weeks back, which are now 30% cheaper. 

Hopefully a drier day tomorrow and Wednesday so I can finish of the winter insulation of greenhouse, plus finish off tidying up the garden, plus work out number of stepping stones needed for the lawn. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

Take care everyone

Michelle

Sending you our very best wishes for successful treatment Michelle.

Graham.

• Like 1

Morning all, personally I’m a little glad it was relatively quiet on here yesterday as I didn’t have too much to catch up on!

Bit of a mad day yesterday, work was absolutely manic  and it was an ‘in office’ day. I was in a bad mood when I got there after a terrible sleep then it took me an hour to log on to my computer!!! Eventually I changed desks and it worked 😳

So I was sitting like Billy no mates on a row of desks on my own - might as well been at home! Luckily it was John’s day off so he could give me a lift as it was chucking it down!

I finish at 1pm so didn’t miss much of the England match (if I’d have walked I would have missed most of the first half) but I had left my distance glasses at work!! Due to my changing desks! So - I was watching the tv wearing my prescription sunglasses!!! 

Half time John drives me back to work to pick my glasses up! Then my hairdresser arrived to cut my hair (pre arranged!) 

So a rather manic day! Phew! Day off today and I’ve already done some online Christmas shopping. Saturday I didn’t find anything to spend my birthday vouchers on, typical!

• Like 8

14 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

Take care everyone

Michelle

I hope you are too Michelle, good luck!

On 11/20/2022 at 9:35 AM, Ranchi said:

Ganglion? You could hit it with a Bible, or so I was told by my GP many years ago. I opted not to & it went away of its own accord. Now, whether the threat of a Bible bashing caused its disappearance…we will never know! 

When I was Googling mine I saw about the hitting with a Bible thing - ouch!

I was supposed to have two removed from my fingers but come the day of the op (local anaesthetic) one had gone so it wasn’t done! I had another one removed a year or two later but not the same finger of the disappeared one! Odd things.

• Like 1