P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, Eddie99 said:

7DAD2CAE-33B3-46B8-89B6-A1A8911670EF.thumb.jpeg.41172d73ff0de0ebba6a80644ee60bea.jpeg

Morning everyone 😊 Isn't it amazing how this time of year people decide to diet, well apart 

our good friend Graham (lovely steak )  

We seem to go against nature ,watch any wildlife program and all the creatures are munching 

away ,stocking up our winter energy . 

Some will do it just before a cruise so they look good before they gorge and drink , only to 

slap it all on again . I think with Christmas looming it's best to cancel any diet until the New 

Year ,where you can break the resolution, along with the rest of us .😉

Anyone who wants to go ahead, then good luck but keep away from the online slimming sites .

First thing they ask you is "Do you accept cookies "😕

The only diet that I think works is the Adam Ant Diet ...

🎶 Don't Chew Ever ....Don't Chew Ever🎶😀

Take care have a good day :classic_love:

• Haha 20

On 11/19/2022 at 8:41 AM, P&O SUE said:

I had a ganglion removed from my finger a few years ago, could you look into that?

I’ve had it for years but it only flares up occasionally. This time was worse than normal but is improving now.

It’s  right over my wrist so I would think they might try to drain it before operating. I’ll probably call docs if I get another bad flare up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ranchi said:

Ganglion? You could hit it with a Bible, or so I was told by my GP many years ago. I opted not to & it went away of its own accord. Now, whether the threat of a Bible bashing caused its disappearance…we will never know! 

Ooh just the thought of hitting it makes my toes curl 😳😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ranchi said:

Ganglion? You could hit it with a Bible, or so I was told by my GP many years ago. I opted not to & it went away of its own accord. Now, whether the threat of a Bible bashing caused its disappearance…we will never know! 

They used to use a Bible because most households had a family one and they were usually large and very heavy. 

I don’t think a GP would recommend that course of action now somehow. 

• Like 3

Good morning,my Mrs had a brain wave yesterday morning."We'll go to Reading on our freedom pass."They've extended the Elizabeth line to Reading so that means we go can go from Essex by train for free.So 2.5 hrs there,3 hrs trudging round the shops and a Greggs tuna baguette,2.5 hrs back.I can now say Reading has been ticked off our bucket list.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, brian1 said:

Good morning,my Mrs had a brain wave yesterday morning."We'll go to Reading on our freedom pass."They've extended the Elizabeth line to Reading so that means we go can go from Essex by train for free.So 2.5 hrs there,3 hrs trudging round the shops and a Greggs tuna baguette,2.5 hrs back.I can now say Reading has been ticked off our bucket list.

Hell’s teeth……..do Freedom Passes go right out to Reading?  Shenfield to Chancery Lane and back every day was enough for me!

Did you ever get the chance to go on the Central Line from Epping to Ongar when it was still part of the Underground? That was our avoiding route on BR strike days. Car to Ongar and in on the Central Line from there. Almost magical coming back in the summer - something really bizarre about looking out of an underground train at wheat fields on both sides!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

They used to use a Bible because most households had a family one and they were usually large and very heavy. 

I don’t think a GP would recommend that course of action now somehow. 

Exactly. I asked my wife why a bible and got the same answer. She does recall doctors actually doing it there and then though, but more likely with a weighty medical tome.  The trick apparently was to distract the patient by pointing at something out of the window, then whack the ganglion suddenly with the book, and it usually did the trick by causing it to burst.

I imagine there were some failures. Probably also some injuries, perhaps also caused by the patient’s fist on the doctor’s jaw. Possibly also some impact on the doctor’s medical insurance premia. 

She never found out about those.

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Hell’s teeth……..do Freedom Passes go right out to Reading?  Shenfield to Chancery Lane and back every day was enough for me!

Did you ever get the chance to go on the Central Line from Epping to Ongar when it was still part of the Underground? That was our avoiding route on BR strike days. Car to Ongar and in on the Central Line from there. Almost magical coming back in the summer - something really bizarre about looking out of an underground train at wheat fields on both sides!

Being brought up in Debden, I know that route well. There is a heritage line running from Blake Hall, the stop before Ongar, to Epping. I hope to do it next summer when I visit the area.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Hi Harry,because we live in Havering which is the last London Borough we get to use trains.With the overground now included zone 6 goes out a lot further.Reading is probably an exception due to the Elizabeth line.Been to Loughton on the tube a few times but not Epping.The one good thing Boris did as mayor was the 60+ London oyster.Just before I retired I commuted to Blackfriars every day for work saving 60 quid a week.Cheers,Brian.

• Like 2

Hello from the lovely Arcadia, we are almost two weeks in and arrived Barbados this morning. We are having a wonderful cruise, the weather has been kind with lots of sunshine, the sea has been smooth and everything is good. The ship has 1266 pax on board so is reasonably quiet. The food is good albeit a reduced menu to that pre covid, service has been very fair sometimes breakfast can be a bit slow but there seems to be a few newbies, more staff have joined today. Ocean grill has been open and I was told that Sindhu was opening this week, so maybe new supplies loading today will facilitate that. The app is still rubbish but due to ship only 2/3 full you don't need to use it for anything. The entertainment is so so, the headliners are good but a couple of guest entertainers not so much, we like the Pulse band and Busker Mike is good, not really done much else as we spend most of our time outside. We have a steel band joining us today who are staying aboard for a while and the deck parties have started so a real Caribbean feel already. I will update soon FREE wi-fi allowing😉

• Like 23

37 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Hello from the lovely Arcadia, we are almost two weeks in and arrived Barbados this morning. We are having a wonderful cruise, the weather has been kind with lots of sunshine, the sea has been smooth and everything is good. The ship has 1266 pax on board so is reasonably quiet. The food is good albeit a reduced menu to that pre covid, service has been very fair sometimes breakfast can be a bit slow but there seems to be a few newbies, more staff have joined today. Ocean grill has been open and I was told that Sindhu was opening this week, so maybe new supplies loading today will facilitate that. The app is still rubbish but due to ship only 2/3 full you don't need to use it for anything. The entertainment is so so, the headliners are good but a couple of guest entertainers not so much, we like the Pulse band and Busker Mike is good, not really done much else as we spend most of our time outside. We have a steel band joining us today who are staying aboard for a while and the deck parties have started so a real Caribbean feel already. I will update soon FREE wi-fi allowing😉

Oh I can feel the 'jealous vibes' coming out now !!!! Have a wonderful time

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, brian1 said:

We had our own formal night when we got home.8 quid Lidl lobster,scallops pan fried in garlic with mushrooms and asparagus on cheesy toast and potato gratin with cheesy croquette.1164984949_IMG_20221119_202008588955.thumb.jpg.dafa34cf19263463049084b59f8179a5.jpg1207484963_IMG_20221119_174200803953.thumb.jpg.7a4d07fd0da23f04141bbfd64aaf5487.jpg442678123_IMG_20221119_172558139951.thumb.jpg.9ebe44b8c601843eccabe5aff3246916.jpg

That looks not only interesting but good as well... This is one of the ways that our local Chinese does its lobster... 

IMG_5835.thumb.jpeg.5c93dbbe5280e5b058028ce5bfe920b4.jpeg

So why does the lobster blush... because the sea weed! 

After that... every cracker joke will seem like a real gem!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

My wife's family come from Lincolnshire and have done so since the days of Oliver Cromwell.

There's an old tale that just after the restoration the Lord of the Manor went after all of the local poachers... and he men were. directed by a ner-do-well to the family home... where they would find a "poacher. " They all rushed in... probably expecting to find a fine deer being jointed and found the poacher... it was the lady of the house cooking (poaching) eggs. Humiliated... they left... never to return. 

And so didn't investigate old granddad muttering away in bed as he was making a very long rabbit net! It was a family tradition that continued into the early C20th. One wonderful story about a Great Uncle in the Lincolnshire Echo.

My wife's still very fond of rabbit pie! Although we now get our from the butcher.

Edited by twotravellersLondon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Good afternoon everyone. It's very quiet on here  at the moment. It's either ------

A. Everyone is busy today or

B. Everyone has hibernated or

C. I've woken up in a parallel universe.

Anyhoo, I'm used to talking to myself😉

Quite a shock this morning to wake up to frost, must have been the ''polar vortex that is slamming across the UK this weekend'' that the forecasters told about. 

We managed to finish the garden tidy up in time and now on to Christmas planning. 

Hope everyone's well and let's  keep this thread going.

Avril

• Like 10

That is a relief!  Thank you, all.  It was pretty cold here this morning too, Avril.  My heating goes on at 5.30 because I am usually up making a cup of tea about 6, but it was pretty frigid even at 6.  I am trying to keep the thermostat down, by wearing several layers.  Being in the sticks I have no town gas, so round here we all have oil fired boilers, and are apparently going to get the princely sum of £100 taken off our electricity bills sometime to compensate.  

Just watched a bit of our football match, and so far so very good!

• Like 2

I’m still here!

The weather has been atrocious this morning and it was a very wet walk with Freddie this morning, although he doesn’t seem to mind the rain. He was in 7th heaven when he found something lovely to roll in (on his back with all four legs up in the air). For those who don’t realise - Freddie is my dog!!!

9741EC0B-B5C7-44B8-815B-FB9E51CA5DAC.jpeg

Edited by Angel57
Photo add
  • Like 14

Yes a heavy frost here as well. I woke up to a world that is completely white (and slippy). It looks really pretty but it’s so cold. The outside thermometer was sitting at 3 degrees this morning so probably zero or below over night.

Went out for a walk well wrapped up. It was nice but nice to be back in the cosy with a hot chocolate.

It is really sad to lose regulars, let’s hope it’s just IT gremlins. 

Well my Christmas making list is going down. Cranberry done, brandy butter done, Christmas syrup for fizz and mulled wine done etc. Syrup day always makes the house smell really nice.

I’ll wait until a day before our first visitors come in December before making festive cookies. Always nicer fresh.

anyone else got traditional foods they make every year?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lincslady said:

That is a relief!  Thank you, all.  It was pretty cold here this morning too, Avril.  My heating goes on at 5.30 because I am usually up making a cup of tea about 6, but it was pretty frigid even at 6.  I am trying to keep the thermostat down, by wearing several layers.  Being in the sticks I have no town gas, so round here we all have oil fired boilers, and are apparently going to get the princely sum of £100 taken off our electricity bills sometime to compensate.  

Just watched a bit of our football match, and so far so very good!

We have solid fuel cental heating and the chappy who delivers the coke told me that the government ''is possibly'' going to allow £100 from one delivery per customer on his books.  Best not look a gift horse in the mouth, every little helps.

Avril

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Eglesbrech said:

Yes a heavy frost here as well. I woke up to a world that is completely white (and slippy). It looks really pretty but it’s so cold. The outside thermometer was sitting at 3 degrees this morning so probably zero or below over night.

Went out for a walk well wrapped up. It was nice but nice to be back in the cosy with a hot chocolate.

Well my Christmas making list is going down. Cranberry done, brandy butter done, Christmas syrup for fizz and mulled wine done etc. Syrup day always makes the house smell really nice.

I’ll wait until a day before our first visitors come in December before making festive cookies. Always nicer fresh.

That all sounds really lovely and so great that you make all those goodies for Christmas. I’m afraid that I don’t bother these days now it is just me and the dog - altho he will get a yummy sausage on 25th Dec and I might even have one too!

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

That all sounds really lovely and so great that you make all those goodies for Christmas. I’m afraid that I don’t bother these days now it is just me and the dog - altho he will get a yummy sausage on 25th Dec and I might even have one too!

I have tried the shop bought versions and they just don’t taste the same, to me anyway. 

I don’t bother making mince pies now as the shop versions are better than mine but you can’t beat home made brandy butter as there is actually some brandy in it.

Same  for mulled wine. The puny versions that come out a bottle taste nothing like the real thing made with fresh syrup, fresh citrus fruit slices and a dash of port in a decent quality red wine.I got hand made pottery mulled wine chalices 40 odd years ago and they come out every winter for hot drinks. They look pretty and warm your hands too.

The  sausages sound good. The chef always deserves a taste!

Edited by Eglesbrech
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

These days I only make Christmas cakes. One for my sister, one that I cut in half for me and my daughter-law and up to this year one for my granddaughter who lives in Australia. I sent her cake last year in December, it was never delivered and returned to me in July. We don’t know what happened but Jessica never got the usual note to go to the parcel office to pick it up. As you can imagine the cake was in a terrible state after travelling round the world and back and spending months in a sorting office. All the chocolates I sent with it were in a dreadful state too.it cost nearly £30 to send it. I have told her to come home for her next one (I miss her so much).

• Like 6