P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

56 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Had an interesting and rather clever scam email the other day. Best I’ve seen.

It came from PayPal (and genuinely was from PayPal) and contained an invoice. It’s a known scam (but not that widely) and the only thing that's fake is the person creating the invoice, along with the phone number shown. If you go into your actual PayPal account, you'll see no trace of it.

PayPal allows these fake invoices to be created, and because they’re issued genuinely by PayPal they’re pretty convincing to anyone not on their guard. If you phone the number that’s shown, you’ll pretty soon find out where the fraud lies, but it’s probably too late by then. Avril would have reverse searched the phone number, and I’m sure many others would do the same, but it’s a very effective fraud because it’s a genuine PayPal invoice.

I've had a similar issue with Amazon and did the same as you, looked into my account. It wasn't there so the number was blocked and I ignored it. I also have an Amazon number that connects to a real person if I'm still unsure.

Nothing like the 'belt and braces' approach Harry.

Avril

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Had an interesting and rather clever scam email the other day. Best I’ve seen.

It came from PayPal (and genuinely was from PayPal) and contained an invoice. It’s a known scam (but not that widely) and the only thing that's fake is the person creating the invoice, along with the phone number shown. If you go into your actual PayPal account, you'll see no trace of it.

PayPal allows these fake invoices to be created, and because they’re issued genuinely by PayPal they’re pretty convincing to anyone not on their guard. If you phone the number that’s shown, you’ll pretty soon find out where the fraud lies, but it’s probably too late by then. Avril would have reverse searched the phone number, and I’m sure many others would do the same, but it’s a very effective fraud because it’s a genuine PayPal invoice.

I assume you forwarded it to spoof@paypal.com. 

2 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

I assume you forwarded it to spoof@paypal.com. 

They know all about it, and exactly how the scheme works. It’s based on the ability for any PayPal user to use PayPal to send an invoice to any third party. It works because the emails are sent by PayPal itself, and not the person creating the invoice.

Although PayPal know about it, they choose not to block it.

Just got back from a trip down memory lane. Been down to my University as a 40th year anniversary visit to meet my friend I was at college with. It was at Lampeter part of the University of Wales (mid Wales) and it was lovely to go back again. Made us feel very old, but a really lovely short break.

We are also taking her on her first cruise. We had originally asked her to go on Oceana with us but we all know what happened there. We are off on Britannia and we all have an aft cabin. We looking forward to our first cruise since 2019 and love Britannia so no problems there. !!!

Have some questions from her and am not sure where to post them as I think it may be more for a specific cruise. 

Will post some photos of my college in a minute incase anyone on here is Welsh and knows where it is !!! Most people don't 🙂

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

They know all about it, and exactly how the scheme works. It’s based on the ability for any PayPal user to use PayPal to send an invoice to any third party. It works because the emails are sent by PayPal itself, and not the person creating the invoice.

Although PayPal know about it, they choose not to block it.

I have had this attempted scam at least 3 times each time I report it to PayPal and forward email to report@phishing.gov.uk eventually PayPal might get the message and actually do something. 

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

My dad went there,  back in the 1920s.

Ahhhhh small world. Someone who knows where it is 🙂 I just had the best time ever in rural Wales.

For what I wanted to study it was there or Manchester and the colleges there and halls of residence were in Moss Side. NO insult intended but to me no competition ... ahh feeling nostalgic this weekend

Just now, Harry Peterson said:

Nothing like it is there? Three years of freedom after leaving home. 

Beautiful place too ... but not a place for mad parties TBH ......... had an amazing time and it was nice to go back .... 

Came away wondering where the time had gone though ....

4 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Ahhhhh small world. Someone who knows where it is 🙂 I just had the best time ever in rural Wales.

For what I wanted to study it was there or Manchester and the colleges there and halls of residence were in Moss Side. NO insult intended but to me no competition ... ahh feeling nostalgic this weekend

When I was in school and in my 20s, a lot of people from this area would trek down to Llanbed before weddings in order to visit B J Jones. They sold suits and posh wedding attire. Did you ever visit the shop? I’m actually going to Llanbed next weekend - to the Falcondale for afternoon tea. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

When I was in school and in my 20s, a lot of people from this area would trek down to Llanbed before weddings in order to visit B J Jones. They sold suits and posh wedding attire. Did you ever visit the shop? I’m actually going to Llanbed next weekend - to the Falcondale for afternoon tea. 

TBH I am really stunned that 2 of you know where my beloved Lampeter is ...sorry to you Welsh .. Llanbedr Pont Steffan ... 

I think I remember it being in the High Street????? As a student didn't tend to need it though 

Have a lovely time next weekend ------- it is a beautiful part of the world and to live there for 3 years was an absolute privilege.

Have just been messaging my friend to say we meet up for afternoon tea there for our 60th next year !!!! Spooky !!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

TBH I am really stunned that 2 of you know where my beloved Lampeter is ...sorry to you Welsh .. Llanbedr Pont Steffan ... 

I think I remember it being in the High Street????? As a student didn't tend to need it though 

Have a lovely time next weekend ------- it is a beautiful part of the world and to live there for 3 years was an absolute privilege.

Have just been messaging my friend to say we meet up for afternoon tea there for our 60th next year !!!! Spooky !!!

I was at Aberystwyth Uni when you were down the road in Llanbed. I remember Prince Charles visiting Llanbed around 1984 - don’t think he ventured back to Aber after his torrid time there in the late 60s!  A few of my friends from the Llanbed area went home for the visit and organised a protest reminding Charles that the last rightful Prince of Wales was killed in 1282! 

I have family just outside Llanbed and that’s why we’re meeting up next weekend. 

• Like 2

That made me laugh. Prince Charles came to Lampeter and I told my friends I would not be there. They laughed.

I got on a bus and went to Carmarthen and shopped in the one shop and came home.

I missed it all ......

Was laughing about  that yesterday 

Edited by Presto2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

TBH I am really stunned that 2 of you know where my beloved Lampeter is

It's a small world.

I have never been there - something to put on my bucket list. 

My uncle was the vicar at Dale, in Pembrokeshire,  and I have made the "pilgrimage " there twice. 

Sometimes you need to to connect to your forefathers, if only for a sense of continuity. 

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, wowzz said:

It's a small world.

I have never been there - something to put on my bucket list. 

My uncle was the vicar at Dale, in Pembrokeshire,  and I have made the "pilgrimage " there twice. 

Sometimes you need to to connect to your forefathers, if only for a sense of continuity. 

You’re right, but it’s easier for some than others! I only have to visit the local cemetery to visit dozens of family graves going back to the 1850s. I can even visit the houses where all 4 grandparents were born between 1890 and 1914, as family members still live there. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

You’re right, but it’s easier for some than others! I only have to visit the local cemetery to visit dozens of family graves going back to the 1850s. I can even visit the houses where all 4 grandparents were born between 1890 and 1914, as family members still live there. 

Agreed -it is a balancing act between remembering the tears of the past and looking to the laughter of the future.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, brian1 said:

We have similar problems in England.What did the Romans ever do for us.Don't get me talking about the bloody Normans,poor old Harold.

Well I thought Norman Wisdom was quite amusing. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, brian1 said:

We have similar problems in England.What did the Romans ever do for us.Don't get me talking about the bloody Normans,poor old Harold.

Always amusing when crowds of ignorant racist yobs start banging on about the purity of their English blood. Completely unaware of what a mixed lot we really are, including large chunks of Europe and Africa.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Always amusing when crowds of ignorant racist yobs start banging on about the purity of their English blood. Completely unaware of what a mixed lot we really are, including large chunks of Europe and Africa.

Harold came close to winning.Imagine how different it might be now.You could be King of Mercia Harry.

• Haha 4