P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

44 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

This is one of the things that puts me off river cruising

We’ve thought about it lots, and identified lots of nice destinations but the likelyhood of too much/too little water seems quite high.  Perhaps I’ve just read too many 😞 descriptions and not enough 🙂 ?

@P&O SUE - your Mum has a very nice last home, doesn’t she.  The old souls do sooooo much better in calm, “normal” situations, rather than in busy, overcrowded hospital wards.  Maybe it’s something the various actors - government, GMC, GPs, nurses, whoever - could look at, and somehow do more to treat the inevitable respiratory and urinary infections which, together with falls, seem to be the main reasons for hospital admissions?

We still have sun - and a cruise ship or twoAE27B7FE-28F9-4D11-8FB9-DA3C8E678528.thumb.jpeg.34ba8f41fcf3c5695452ecab22172641.jpeg

Ah - the larger vessel is QM2, on an “unscheduled” stop

Details on the QM2 board

It took us a while to track it down - only the 1100 pax French vessel Renaissance is listed for Portland today

Bit if a bonus for the local hospitality sector

I hope the passengers are having a lovely time and not missing Le Havre too much (I know which I’d prefer, but maybe some had exciting excursions fixed up)

• Like 5

We docked in Deggendorf this morning and walked into the town centre. It is a lovely quaint town with a nice square and lots of bars and cafes. We had our usual coffee and cake and enjoyed the ambience.                                                We will now remain here for a couple of days and be taken by bus to Passau tomorrow and Ragensburg on Monday which we're our next two stops. We will then see what is next. 

Apart from the hitch with the water levels we are having a great time, we have spent time with Brian and Marilyn @brian1 setting the world right. Hope everyone has a good weekend. 

20240601_123713.jpg

20240601_123312.jpg

• Like 20

1 hour ago, Yorkshire Phil said:

Apart from the hitch with the water levels we are having a great time, we have spent time with Brian and Marilyn @brian1 setting the world right. Hope everyone has a good weekend. 

20240601_123713.jpg

20240601_123312.jpg

Who cares about river levels when you have apple pie ?

Pleased to read Brian and each others wives are having a great time onboard .

Looking at all those cakes ,I'd be more worried about the waistline than the river .

All four of you take care and enjoy ! 😃

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, kalos said:

Who cares about river levels when you have apple pie ?

Pleased to read Brian and each others wives are having a great time onboard .

Looking at all those cakes ,I'd be more worried about the waistline than the river .

All four of you take care and enjoy ! 😃

And there's more cakes onboard.They present local cuisine now and then.When I opened the lid at brekkie this morning,there was pairs of blood sausages all linked up.I love black pudding but when I cut into these it was like a horror movie with all the black gunk oosing out.I made my excuses and left.Other than that the food has been great.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

And there's more cakes onboard.They present local cuisine now and then.When I opened the lid at brekkie this morning,there was pairs of blood sausages all linked up.I love black pudding but when I cut into these it was like a horror movie with all the black gunk oosing out.I made my excuses and left.Other than that the food has been great.

😱

Glad that you & Mrs brian1 & Mr & Mrs Yorkshire Phil are having a lovely time (don’t mention the sausages!]

So, are you staying in hotels/packing & unpacking/travelling on coaches?  
I wonder how often it happens?  The last person I “knew”, on a general forum, who went on a river cruise had similar issues (and her luggage got lost! 😱). That must be why I have this brain worm about river cruises being precarious

Anyway - you’re making the best of it, which is absolutely the thing to do.  Enjoy 🍰 

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

😱

Glad that you & Mrs brian1 & Mr & Mrs Yorkshire Phil are having a lovely time (don’t mention the sausages!]

So, are you staying in hotels/packing & unpacking/travelling on coaches?  
I wonder how often it happens?  The last person I “knew”, on a general forum, who went on a river cruise had similar issues (and her luggage got lost! 😱). That must be why I have this brain worm about river cruises being precarious

Anyway - you’re making the best of it, which is absolutely the thing to do.  Enjoy 🍰 

No we're still on boat and hopefully buses will turn up tomorrow and monday.After that only god knows.

• Like 2

A quick catch up from Queen Anne where we've been in Greenock today.  Beautiful weather, great times out and about and couldn't help but think of you guys when we sailed away.  Jonathan Livingston Seagull was very much alive and well and sends his best Scottish squawks...

20240601_182138.jpg

20240601_182409.jpg

20240601_104210.jpg

20240601_104208.jpg

20240601_092533.jpg

20240601_092524.jpg

20240601_080827.jpg

• Like 18

12 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Morning all, dull here no blue skies 😔 Rained lots yesterday! The South East often seems to miss the sun now, it often used to be the best place to be!

However, went to see Mum yesterday and it was lovely to see her sitting in her usual spot in the lounge and able to speak more clearly, she was virtually impossible to understand  when she was in hospital. She’s still struggling with eating but the home are being very careful with what she has and watches her carefully when she eats.

This was on her room door, I felt quite tearful.

IMG_0825.jpeg

That really touched me - what a lovely, lovely gesture. Brought back some memories of my elderly parents in a caring care home. Take care xx

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

That really touched me - what a lovely, lovely gesture. Brought back some memories of my elderly parents in a caring care home. Take care xx

I was quite choked! I sent the photo to my sister and she replied she felt tearful!

Edited by P&O SUE
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

This is one of the things that puts me off river cruising

We’ve thought about it lots, and identified lots of nice destinations but the likelyhood of too much/too little water seems quite high.  Perhaps I’ve just read too many 😞 descriptions and not enough 🙂 ?

@P&O SUE - your Mum has a very nice last home, doesn’t she.  The old souls do sooooo much better in calm, “normal” situations, rather than in busy, overcrowded hospital wards.  Maybe it’s something the various actors - government, GMC, GPs, nurses, whoever - could look at, and somehow do more to treat the inevitable respiratory and urinary infections which, together with falls, seem to be the main reasons for hospital admissions?

We still have sun - and a cruise ship or twoAE27B7FE-28F9-4D11-8FB9-DA3C8E678528.thumb.jpeg.34ba8f41fcf3c5695452ecab22172641.jpeg

Very true, respiratory conditions were definitely all round the ward my Mum was in.

Although her voice isn’t great it’s lots better than in the hospital so we’re grateful for that. I dread to think how she would have gotten on if she’d been in her flat, I don’t know how long she would have had to wait for an ambulance, the home called it and said it was urgent, it came very very quickly. I’m sure because it was a nurse who called it they responded more quickly. We did come close to losing her…

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"Mission control,we have a problem".This all was a footpath and fields yesterday.The bridge behind us now looks imIMG_20240602_0629253262490.thumb.jpg.67873343c3e6daac2476fd3d79883335.jpgIMG_20240602_0629318612491.thumb.jpg.ac193916b696eb7933ef0602a7b0d887.jpgIMG_20240602_0630169772492.thumb.jpg.1912c56dae1e2f282d7d1a013b51e02b.jpgpassable.

• Like 13

To rub it in they're playing Bing Crosby piped music at brekkie,Old man river and White christmas.I.m gonna request The frog chorus.

• Haha 11

Omg you two river travellers!

Have a good day, whatever it brings

The sun has got his hat on here, so a quiet day of solar therapy and reading on the decking, I think

• Like 7

Very bright blue sky 11.c at the moment here ,so a good start to the day .

@brian1 @yorkshirephil Glad to see your having a good time apart from 

the flooded footpaths and fields around you . Very different to sea cruising 

and I guess SOLAS regs do not apply  where you are 🤔

Not sure but "keep off the grass and out of fields "  sounds like a plan.😉🙃

Have a good one and take care .😃

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Good morning to you all.

A bit misty when I got up. It's still misty looking out towards the bay and the moors, but the sun is  out, well here anyway, and seems to be burning it's way through the rest. 

Got my daughter and partner staying for dinner later, when they come to collect the dog and my granddaughter.

Hope you all have a good Sunday.

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, brian1 said:

IMG_20240602_0756279052500.thumb.jpg.120860ec0feca75365865f243b4be7e4.jpgIn the bar with Phil and Carol waiting for buses to pull up for tour,lol.

Looks like you will have to go to plan 'C'!

Still the best place to be in a flood. Is on a boat.

I am sure you will enjoy yourselves anyway 

• Like 9