P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

4 hours ago, Britboys said:

Gibraltar?  Fish & Chips and a beer.  Mind you, if the ship is doing a decent deal on Duty Free Gin, I don't even bother getting off the ship there...  I'm hoping against hope that P&O will stop calling there so often once Brexit has actually happened but I doubt it as the fuel will probably still be cheap 🙁

I agree. Gibraltar is a complete dump and the only positive about it is that you are almost 100% certain to see Dolphins 20-30 mins after you leave there. Last year we went to Ceuta on Aurora, which is a Spanish enclave cut out of Morocco. It’s directly opposite Gibraltar (the Rock is visible from it) and is an absolute delight. Shame we can’t swap it for Gibraltar with the Spanish. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I agree. Gibraltar is a complete dump and the only positive about it is that you are almost 100% certain to see Dolphins 20-30 mins after you leave there. Last year we went to Ceuta on Aurora, which is a Spanish enclave cut out of Morocco. It’s directly opposite Gibraltar (the Rock is visible from it) and is an absolute delight. Shame we can’t swap it for Gibraltar with the Spanish. 

We enjoy Ceuta as well. There is a really nice Parador not far from the port which is great for a nice cool sherry and olives in a civilised setting. There is also the biggest Lidl I have ever seen and it has a massive range of stock that is not available in the U.K.

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Now that's a darned good idea Selbourne, although quite small Ceuta did have far more appeal than Gib., although my wife does enjoy a visit to M&S.

On 4/18/2020 at 1:27 PM, AndyMichelle said:

I sent the elderly lady down the road to get me some Peroni to save me going to the shops... 

WHAT!!! 

Andy 

I've never met you but when she said the magic word "Peroni" I actually thought of you! I'm spending too much time on this forum methinks....

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Selbourne said:

We're fed up of Gibraltar too. That would have been the last stop on this year's Mediterranean cruise so we would have got off the ship just because of that. If it was the first stop I'm not sure we'd bother. At least there is a decent toy shop for our son just off the High Street. Ceuta sounds lovely, right up our street.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Selbourne said:

A 7 day cruise to Gibraltar and back sounds quite appealing right now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

A 7 day cruise to Gibraltar and back sounds quite appealing right now.

Appealing? Bay of Biscay twice within a week, a dump of a place when you get there and the potential to contract a life threatening illness whilst on board. I can think of far more appealing things 😉

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Appealing? Bay of Biscay twice within a week, a dump of a place when you get there and the potential to contract a life threatening illness whilst on board. I can think of far more appealing things 😉

Anywhere sounds appealing right now, but what had Gibraltar done to upset you?.Good weather, lots of nice coffee shops, steeped in history, nice friendly locals. Alternative....stuck at home for another 18 months.😷

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 3:37 PM, Eglesbrech said:

Lovely collection Dai, I particularly  like the duck.

There is a shop in St Andrews that specialities in fancy tea pots. They have some amazing items on display that you would never think were teapots until you look more closely at them.

Now on another thread us 'Stokies' have been accused of talking shop and changing the thread (Andy) …. but I couldn't see these teapots and not mention Hanley Museum ……….. the place is full of 'em ;-) (Will shut up now Andy re Stoke on Trent)

:classic_smile:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Presto2 said:

Now on another thread us 'Stokies' have been accused of talking shop and changing the thread (Andy) …. but I couldn't see these teapots and not mention Hanley Museum ……….. the place is full of 'em 😉 (Will shut up now Andy re Stoke on Trent)

:classic_smile:

I was only kidding... 

I wondered what was good to come out of Stoke apart from the road to Cannock... 😊

Oh, and did you not deny being a' Stokie'... 

I can't keep up with you... 😊

Andy 

Just now, AndyMichelle said:

I was only kidding... 

I wondered what was good to come out of Stoke apart from the road to Cannock... 😊

Andy 

Know you were that's why I keep mentioning it :-)

Re being a Stokie ---- sometimes its easier than trying to explain.

Hope you're having a good weekend and that the weather is kind to you down south …. and that the tea was good

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I was only kidding... 

Andy 

Slash came out of Stoke. He's quite good😁

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Know you were that's why I keep mentioning it :-)

Hope you're having a good weekend and that the weather is kind to you down south …. and that the tea was good

Only if it was Yorkshire Tea😆.

Avril 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

We enjoy Ceuta as well. There is a really nice Parador not far from the port which is great for a nice cool sherry and olives in a civilised setting. There is also the biggest Lidl I have ever seen and it has a massive range of stock that is not available in the U.K.

How very eclectic - sherry in the parador and then a trip to Lidl 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I was only kidding... 

Andy 

Have you been on the M6 from Stoke to Cannock recently? It certainly cannot be described as being good in any way.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Britboys said:

How very eclectic - sherry in the parador and then a trip to Lidl 😄

That’s me, I like most things 😀

We visited the Lidl just to be nosy and I never see anything like it. Big tubs of spices to buy loose, the lovely smell hit you whenever you entered. It was an interesting experience.

I like Paradors, you can always guarantee the standard and we often pop into them for a drink or lunch if we are near one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

Know you were that's why I keep mentioning it 🙂

The afternoon tea was lovely, thank you. 

Not Yorkshire tea, it was tea pigs, another reminder that we should be on Britannia today!!! 

Weather would have been amazing for sailaway.. 

Sing with me... 

SWEET CAROLINE.... 

Andy 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Agreed, its poor once you get off the toll road... 

Andy 

I agree but once the roadworks are finished, which will probably happen at about the same time as people start complaining that Iona is just too small, it will be much better. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Not Yorkshire tea, it was tea pigs, another reminder that we should be on Britannia today!!! 

Sing with me... 

SWEET CAROLINE.... 

Andy 

Found you this and it made us really quite sad. We have taken things for granted in the past …….

• Like 1

On 4/18/2020 at 6:03 PM, Eglesbrech said:

But in Gibraltar you can sit in a shady garden of a bodega with a nice glass of red and then pop in to Morrisons on the way back to the ship.

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

Only if it was Yorkshire Tea😆.

Avril 

9 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Sing with me... 

SWEET CAROLINE.... 

Andy 

It's going to take more than Yorkshire Tea Avril, Andy's suffering cruise withdrawal. 

Maybe he would buck up if we fed him a Yorkshire breakfast and a mug of said Tea.:classic_smile:

• Like 2