P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

12 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Careful Eglesbrech. I said more or less the same as you recently on here and got told off, not very nicely  may I add, for criticising young people.

Avril 

I remember that. I think I replied that oldies should be let out, but lock up the young folk so we don't catch their germs. I won't say that again in case I get sent to the naughty step😁

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

What if there is no vaccine/cure. Sure I read they didn’t get one for the sars thing. 

I’d love to know what the percentage risk actually is for this virus compared to other things. 
I find that I don’t trust the figures that they are putting down. I think there are going to have been quite a lot of people that maybe died because of this before it was all widely known and there are others that died with it rather than from it. 
doubt we will know the full the full extent for at least a year 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I remember that. I think I replied that oldies should be let out, but lock up the young folk so we don't catch their germs. I won't say that again in case I get sent to the naughty step😁

I get the idea but don’t think it would work. It’s the young that are keeping the country going. You guys with pensions are already set. Unless we can all eat from your gardens. Every pensioner I know seems to have something growing. 

6 minutes ago, zap99 said:

No, better not. But just in case you do I'll keep a spot warm for you 😆😉

Avril 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Vampiress88 said:

I get the idea but don’t think it would work. It’s the young that are keeping the country going. You guys with pensions are already set. Unless we can all eat from your gardens. Every pensioner I know seems to have something growing. 

If we are allowed out to spend "all that Dosh" that gets the economy moving , doesn't it?. On Monday we will be off to the seaside with a nice meal in a fish restaurant. We will pop into the travel agents to pick up some brochures for our summer holidays . Thanks to Boris😁

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

If we are allowed out to spend "all that Dosh" that gets the economy moving , doesn't it?. On Monday we will be off to the seaside with a nice meal in a fish restaurant. We will pop into the travel agents to pick up some brochures for our summer holidays . Thanks to Boris😁

ah but who is going to be at the checkout? 😂 will definitely be someone who is younger than pension age  
but yes we definitely need everyone to get back to the normal spending as before otherwise we are going to have much more long term problems

you think we will be let out? 

I will be going to seaside too if allowed. 
I love my garden but it’s killing me and now I’m working from home and the shopping has actual slots then we haven’t left in about 10 days. I am going to pop to Sainsbury’s for milk tonight. Dunno why we can have loads of milk to last a few days and then suddenly everyone uses it within hours! 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Gardening is exercise , theraputic and also productive. I'm sure that 95% of the senior citizens, if healthy enough and could find employment,  would go back to work. My retirement age was 60 but I had to retire at 65 because my firm gave me no choice. We're in a damned if you do,  damned if you don't situation. If we don't work were "pensioners" and if we do work over a certain age, also helping to keep the economy going we're taking jobs from others who could need them more. No matter what, we can't seem to win 😞

Avril

Edited by Adawn47

Be patient

If this is released again the spike will be worse than the first round and we’ll be like Italy was, with services unable to cope and the army removing bodies for mass burial.  Read historical evidence on the 1918 Spanish flu

Eventually, when this ‘round’ is over and we are certain the NHS (the whole NHS - A&E, Maternity, Cancer, Cardiac, Mental Health) is in a solid position, then the young can go back to living their lives normally (albeit with a tiny risk that when they get IT, they have a very, very, small risk of dying) and the  ‘healthy elderly (bloody hell, what a lovely description I have given myself) can make their own decision as to whether and by how much they will change their behaviour

The poor souls like Harry and others on here appear to have no choice ☹️  They will need to accept, adjust their expectations and improve their communication equipment

Not great is it, for now?

But please, please, please - don’t rush for release.  Don’t waste this 7/8 weeks.  For the younger and the fit, this, like all things, will pass

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

ah but who is going to be at the checkout? 😂 will definitely be someone who is younger than pension age  
but yes we definitely need everyone to get back to the normal spending as before otherwise we are going to have much more long term problems

you think we will be let out? 

I will be going to seaside too if allowed. 
I love my garden but it’s killing me and now I’m working from home and the shopping has actual slots then we haven’t left in about 10 days. I am going to pop to Sainsbury’s for milk tonight. Dunno why we can have loads of milk to last a few days and then suddenly everyone uses it within hours! 

Doubt we we be allowed out to the coast as it's 50 miles away.  Perhaps a picnic on the downs instead. Might be a bit cold on Monday though. If really cold I may get the snowboard out

Not used it this season so far.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Adawn47 said:

Gardening is exercise and also productive. I'm sure that 95% of the senior citizens, if healthy enough and could find employment,  would go back to work. My retirement age was 60 but I had to retire at 65 because my firm gave me no choice. We're in a damned if you do,  damned if you don't situation. If we don't work were "pensioners" and if we do work over a certain age, also helping to keep the economy going we're taking jobs from others who could need them more. No matter what, we can't seem to win 😞

Avril

I agree with you about gardening. I just wish I could do it. I think it’s maybe a generation thing or maybe cos I have kids and a dog that I wouldn’t start growing stuff. 

I think most would have gone back/stayed in work longer cos I think it gives them something to do. I don’t think employers want it that way and I suppose the young wouldn’t either cos I will take jobs I agree. It really is damned if you do and damned if you don’t. 

problem is I’m not sure what the solution would be either though. 

my plan for when I retire is to have the grandkids that I assume I will have. Just because we have 0 childcare now and it’s sucks and I wouldn’t want that for my kids. But then that’s assuming they will have jobs and things. With everything that’s happening they might never Afford to leave Our house 

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

I think there’s only one category for the shielded group - those at highest risk.  That’s what the letter says, and that’s confirmed by what I read on the latest updated NHS web pages, though there’s quite rightly an acceptance that there are people not on what they refer to as the SPL (Shielded Patients List) who ought to be.  People having had spleenectomies, for example, have very recently been added. 160,000 however have been incorrectly included and removed.

It’s been chaotically handled, and GPs have received an apology for the mess that’s been made of it, causing a huge amount of additional work. The list was intended to include around 1.5 million people, but ballooned apparently to around 2.3 million.

My concern is for those, such as the blind, not on the list, who relied totally on supermarket deliveries for food but now can’t get delivery slots.  What do they do, particularly when the current volunteers return to their normal work.

Lots of questions, few answers.  All the best to you too Annie.  Interesting times.

Harry

The three categories within the shielded group was outlined in the first letter my daughter received - looks like you didn't get this one. Her subsequent letter sounds like the one that you have received. All a rather inconsistent mess and you are absolutely right that there are many not on the list who should be.

2 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

I agree with you about gardening. I just wish I could do it. I think it’s maybe a generation thing or maybe cos I have kids and a dog that I wouldn’t start growing stuff. 

I think most would have gone back/stayed in work longer cos I think it gives them something to do. I don’t think employers want it that way and I suppose the young wouldn’t either cos I will take jobs I agree. It really is damned if you do and damned if you don’t. 

my plan for when I retire is to have the grandkids that I assume I will have. Just because we have 0 childcare now and it’s sucks and I wouldn’t want that for my kids. But then that’s assuming they will have jobs and things. With everything that’s happening they might never Afford to leave Our house 

This pandemic has affected everyone in one way or another, either mentally, physically or financially but painful none the less to each and everyone of us , and the utter frustration that it's causing is evident in the postings on here. Unfortunately we have to accept the fact that life will not be the same again for any of us.  Maybe we will begin to understand what really is important in life. 

Avril 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

This made me smile Vamp.The last time I was allowed to venture out into a Morrisons supermarket ,there was peopleon the checkouts older than me .

Thinking back to our last cruise from Southampton the mini bus driver from the car park and the woman sorting our boarding cards were as old if not older than us ,even the porters offering to move our bags .

Their is plenty of people from all ages that will be out their working once this situation is sorted .

I think regardless of age we have to avoid a second pandemic ,what we think is a worry now will be nothing compared to that happening .

Health and the economy I realise will not be an easy thing to balance but for all ages we cannot

afford to get this wrong and with that I will wish everyone to stay safe.

Same as other posters I  will leave it at that before we get accused of not caring for a part of our society .  :classic_smile:

Edited by kalos
  • Like 5

53 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I really hope we get some slackening of the lockdown but it can only be small moves because we don't want to make the virus come back.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, kalos said:

This made me smile Vamp.The last time I was allowed to venture out into a Morrisons supermarket ,there was peopleon the checkouts older than me .

Thinking back to our last cruise from Southampton the mini bus driver from the car park and the woman sorting our boarding cards were as old if not older than us ,even the porters offering to move our bags .

Their is plenty of people from all ages that will be out their working once this situation is sorted .

I think regardless of age we have to avoid a second pandemic ,what we think is a worry now will be nothing compared to that happening .

Health and the economy I realise will not be an easy thing to balance but for all ages we cannot

Same as other posters I  will leave it at that before we get accused of not caring for a part of our society .  :classic_smile:

Because the cruise industry is seasonal in Southampton, it suits a lot of retired people and housewives who don't need to work all year round. 

I'm guessing they are on zero hour contracts, so they will be itching to get back like the rest of us. 

Andy 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Gardening is exercise , theraputic and also productive. I'm sure that 95% of the senior citizens, if healthy enough and could find employment,  would go back to work. My retirement age was 60 but I had to retire at 65 because my firm gave me no choice. We're in a damned if you do,  damned if you don't situation. If we don't work were "pensioners" and if we do work over a certain age, also helping to keep the economy going we're taking jobs from others who could need them more. No matter what, we can't seem to win 😞

Avril

Avril, I had a fantastic career that I loved but at 55 I chose to retire because there was so much that I wanted to do but was restricted by work.  I have many friends who also chose an early retirement and we are all enjoying being able to do what we enjoy while we are still fit enough.  No one knows what is round the corner so we all need to enjoy life as much as possible.  I appreciate that no everyone has the choice but I don't think that 95% of people would choose to work into their senior years if they had their health and enough money to fulfill their bucket list.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, kalos said:

your at the wrong Morrison’s lol

parkgate is definitely full of young uns

and in fact the one near the place I grew up is full of people that were in my year and the few years around us. Very weird when used to go there but we live somewhere different now. 

I don’t think anyone should get accused of not

caring. It’s all different perspectives based on what effects you individually. We’re all stuck between a rock and a hard place

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Things will improve, and hopefully out of all this will come a cleaner, fairer, safer world.  I'm concerned for my grandchildren in the same way as you are for your children, but I'm confident that we'll recover from this over time in the way that we recovered from the last world war, which wiped us out completely financially and left us heavily in debt to America for their support in the war (not paid off until 2006).  The 1950s were pretty bleak in retrospect, but life went on, and people still enjoyed themselves.

I'll probably get attacked for saying this, but this crisis is having a far greater impact, by and large, on the young than the old.  The government is well aware of that and will, I imagine, be looking for ways to address that.

My main concern is not for the immediate future - it's for a little while down the road if there's unrest, as there was in the 1930s across Europe.  Extreme parties have a nasty habit of attracting votes in that situation because people are unhappy with the mainstream parties.  And we all know what happened in Germany as a result.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Things will improve, and hopefully out of all this will come a cleaner, fairer, safer world.  I'm concerned for my grandchildren in the same way as you are for your children, but I'm confident that we'll recover from this over time in the way that we recovered from the last world war, which wiped us out completely financially and left us heavily in debt to America for their support in the war (not paid off until 2006).  The 1950s were pretty bleak in retrospect, but life went on, and people still enjoyed themselves.

I'll probably get attacked for saying this, but this crisis is having a far greater impact, by and large, on the young than the old.  The government is well aware of that and will, I imagine, be looking for ways to address that.

My main concern is not for the immediate future - it's for a little while down the road if there's unrest, as there was in the 1930s across Europe.  Extreme parties have a nasty habit of attracting votes in that situation because people are unhappy with the mainstream parties.  And we all know what happened in Germany as a result.

A very good thread, but please don't start the politics. Lockdown may be eased on Monday. Perhaps we will be allowed to spend some of our pension to provide some jobs. South West hotel association are putting forward proposals so they

open in July as are the self catering industry. All looking positive for those who are prepared to get on will their lives .

20 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I agree with you. I don’t think you should get attacked. We all know that it is going to be on the youngest ones shoulders the longest but we all have our elders that we know we need to take care of. It’s just finding the balance. 

I feel we will be paying this off for a long time. 

for me in my little bubble I just don’t wanna go back to where we personally was for years. Feel like I just got it good and stable and it’s all turned upside down. That is life I suppose. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Avril, I had a fantastic career that I loved but at 55 I chose to retire because there was so much that I wanted to do but was restricted by work.  I have many friends who also chose an early retirement and we are all enjoying being able to do what we enjoy while we are still fit enough.  No one knows what is round the corner so we all need to enjoy life as much as possible.  I appreciate that no everyone has the choice but I don't think that 95% of people would choose to work into their senior years if they had their health and enough money to fulfill their bucket list.

Unfortunately some still need to work or do so because they live alone or like to feel useful. I stayed in work so I would retire at the same time as Frank. We'd  planned ahead and retired financially secure. We fulfilled a lot from our bucket list while we were younger and I'm glad we did. Frank now has some mobility problems and doesn't want to fly anymore so we're a little restricted now. Hence cruising. 

Avril 

Just a different take on things, but to paraphrase the remarks of a medical professor earlier this week: " The vast majority of those who catch CV19 only have mild symptoms: of those with more severe symptoms, the vast majority do not need hospitalisation; of those that do need to go to hospital, the vast majority make a full recover". In other words, let's have a sense of perspective.

Without in any way downplaying the seriousness of CV19 to those with serious medical issues, or living in a care home, the government has been portraying CV19 as the equivalent of bubonic plague,  implying that catching it is, in effect a death sentence. This is patently untrue. 

We cannot continue living in this constant state of fear, with our liberties being destroyed on a daily basis, and our economy being destroyed for years to come. Mankind hasn't yet come up with a way to eradicate influenza, so the chances of any miracle anti-CV19 cure is unlikely. Even if a vaccine is developed, how long will it take to produce and then vaccinate the world's population?

We need to learn how to live with the disease, develop some hard immunity, and in the interim look after the vulnerable. Continuing to lock ourselves away for another 2, 3, or months will accomplish nothing, apart from destroying the hopes and aspirations  of future generations.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Just a different take on things, but to paraphrase the remarks of a medical professor earlier this week: " The vast majority of those who catch CV19 only have mild symptoms: of those with more severe symptoms, the vast majority do not need hospitalisation; of those that do need to go to hospital, the vast majority make a full recover". In other words, let's have a sense of perspective.

Without in any way downplaying the seriousness of CV19 to those with serious medical issues, or living in a care home, the government has been portraying CV19 as the equivalent of bubonic plague,  implying that catching it is, in effect a death sentence. This is patently untrue. 

We cannot continue living in this constant state of fear, with our liberties being destroyed on a daily basis, and our economy being destroyed for years to come. Mankind hasn't yet come up with a way to eradicate influenza, so the chances of any miracle anti-CV19 cure is unlikely. Even if a vaccine is developed, how long will it take to produce and then vaccinate the world's population?

We need to learn how to live with the disease, develop some hard immunity, and in the interim look after the vulnerable. Continuing to lock ourselves away for another 2, 3, or months will accomplish nothing, apart from destroying the hopes and aspirations  of future generations.

I’d agree with all of that, and it’s the only sensible way forward.  It will happen, I’m sure, but it’s a question of finding a politically acceptable way of doing it.

• Like 3

But Not Yet

It will spike again

The NHS will be overwhelmed

In time the risk will be manageable, on both personal and societal levels.  Life is 100% fatal after all.

It’s not that time yet.  Don’t waste all the personal and societal sacrifice already made.  Be patient

• Like 2